Absurdity + Joohyun.

The Ink Slinger's Diary (Seulrene Drabble Collection)

Prompt: Absurdity! I figured I would give you guys a little treat.

 

“I’ve always found it fascinating how absurd you are.”

 

Those were the words to kickstart this bizarre conversation between wife and wife Seulgi and Joohyun.

 

Joohyun, who was lying in bed topless while reading, looked at Seulgi curiously upon hearing that. “What do you mean?”

 

Seulgi, who sat in front of her typewriter, letting her wife see her broad shouldered backside, chuckled as she continued to let the machine go ‘tack, tack, tack, tack, DING!’ for the length of the conversation, almost keeping the rhythm of each of Seulgi’s word, like a bizarre improvised poem. “I find you absurd, darling.”

 

Joohyun closed her book and listened attentively. “Enlighten me?”

 

Without missing a beat, Seulgi spoke directly. “I’ve always found it fascinating how you tend a beautiful garden and keep it alive for so long yet you despise bees.”

 

The pale woman laughed and shrugged. “They’re terrifying.”

 

Seulgi had more to say. “I also find it fascinating how during the pie eating contest you were the smallest of all contestants yet ate twice as much.”

 

“I was hungry!”

 

“And the time you made a bet with the mayor during the festival?” Seulgi did her best impression of her wife’s voice, though exaggerated. “Whoever gets the bullseyes wins and the loser has to buy every contestant and attendant a bucket of chicken?”

 

Joohyun blushed.

 

“You hit that bullseye precisely in the middle and had the mayor buy everyone chicken. The delivery guy offered one to you and you said ‘I’m allergic to chicken’ without hesitation.”

 

“That was pretty awesome huh?”

 

Seulgi laughed and she continued, for Joohyun’s absurdities reached levels that even the novelist Seulgi could not fathom.

 

Whoever created Joohyun and her abilities was a comedic genius. The woman had the ability to dance like the most elegant animal, could even mimic the behavior of a Cat, yet she didn’t enjoy music as much, and enjoyed cats LESS than anything -- and she won a trophy for a dance performance at school in her youth. Lived in a cold region of the country all her life, yet she disliked the cold temperatures, but now that she lived somewhere slightly tropical she found herself a bit uncomfortable. Was excellent at telling lies, playing mind games yet never stepped into a game of poker or any gamble -- in fact, she had never done that drunk nor sober and despised lying. There was also the quirk that always fascinated Seulgi; Joohyun’s body could forget any soreness faster than her brain could, leading to Joohyun recalling that her ankle is sore and acting accordingly before finding out her ankle was just fine. Disliked routines yet had one that she followed like gospel, and ate the same breakfast everyday despite getting tired of eating similar lunches throughout the week. A phenomenal painter of abstract pictures, but could not draw a humanly figure to save herself. Was an educated woman that went to college yet found her colleagues and fellow artists to be profoundly stupid, seeking shelter in the eccentricity of those rejected by society, the ‘uneducated ones yet found a predilection and attracted the intellectuals like a magnet. Though that one was not as absurd, people found it overwhelmingly contradictory (Seulgi could understand her way of thinking there). Joohyun collected pictures of bugs but didn’t dare to step closer to them, safe guarded by the snapshot and the distance between her and the animal. Collected knives and machetes but was a pacifist and didn’t like using them. Was someone to boss people around, and yet in the privacy of her home she let Seulgi boss her around.

 

And the best absurdity of all, Joohyun who was generally attracted to the smart and intellectual individuals (despite finding them profoundly boring and annoying), but settled for a woman who wasn’t the fastest to the uptake. Hated marriage with a passion and ended up being the first one married in the family.

 

“I think I like that absurdity the best,” Seulgi looked back, finally stopping her typing, watching her wife’s stupefied face. “It’s my favorite.”

 

Joohyun’s face of shock suddenly turned into a smile, decorated with a shy gaze and a smile. “I think that’s one of my favorites as well.” 

 

Seulgi grinned wide and watched her wife walk up to her, hugging her from behind and kissing the top of her head with a tenderness that the once ‘I hate romance’ Joohyun would’ve repudiated. “For a self-proclaimed slowpoke, you catch on quick.”

 

“I have my absurd moments as well.”