Five Flash Ficlets

The Ink Slinger's Diary (Seulrene Drabble Collection)

Not sure if these are ficlets, but it's a great title, yes or yes.

 

I
 

Kang Seulgi was completely unaware as to why her wife was looking at her so hungrily. She slide from underneath the truck with grease in her forehead, cheeks and -- unknowingly -- on her abs. The jumpsuit hung on her hips for dear life and her pigtails just completed the look in such a dashing way that the pale princess just kept seated on the table and watched dreamily, like a high school girl having the biggest crush of her life.

 

Seulgi blinked a few times with a tilted head. “What are you looking at?”

 

Joohyun giggled and shook her head. “Nothing, sweetie. Hurry up, I’ve got a few other things you can work on,” her voice was suggestive and sultry.

 

It didn’t click for Seulgi until ten seconds later and Joohyun knew this by the way Seulgi blushed profusely and coughed.

 

“I-I’ll get back to work.”

 

“Yeah, you do that.”




 

II

 

Bae Joohyun was looking at the rose in awe, watching all her co-workers walk ahead of her while she could not move an inch. The slightly empty streets of the usually busy Seoul kept on walking around her while she registered this tender gesture given to her effortlessly. 

 

Kang Seulgi, the new co-worker, smiled that golden smile of hers to the old lady selling roses to those who passed by her. When Seulgi stopped to buy a rose, the rest of the co-workers -- spent, ready to drink and low in spirits -- watched amused at their new teammate kindly buying a rose with her hard earned money, just to see the old lady smile.

 

“Ah, she’s a good kid,” the oldest of the team remarked before walking on forward while the rest of them followed.

 

Then, while the rest of the team was chatting, Seulgi looked at Joohyun and gave her the rose with rosey cheeks and a shyer smile.

 

Joohyun was taken aback, stopped dead in her tracks, but took the rose and watched Seulgi gently bow her head and continue on.

 

Everytime someone tried to win the heart of that stern Joohyun, they were always doing the biggest of gestures and using the rehearsed pick up lines. No one could capture her heart with those grand shows of affection.

 

But this crispy night after work, a gesture so simple as a smile and a rose had swept Joohyun off her feet without any effort.

 

Silence, but a silence thick with interest and admiration.

 

Seulgi shoved her hands into her pockets and walked with the rest of the group, all of them unaware that she succeeded in charming the person the team most coveted for.




 

III

 

Seulgi was infinitely amusing to Joohyun and there was no way to deny it. She certainly looked lovely in country outfits and she always looked so majestic on the back of a horse, galloping down the lush field. 

 

But Joohyun liked this look better.

 

“JOOHYUUUNN, HEEEEEELP,” Seulgi screamed as she held onto the galloping horse for dear life. Not the way she should be holding it, either. It was quite cartoonish, absolutely hilarious, but strangely endearing. The horse was so excited to have Seulgi back after a year! So excited he decided to start going through the course without any prompt or command, wanting to impress Seulgi and show her how much he had learned over the year.

 

Except that Seulgi didn’t quite prepare herself for his excitement.

“JOOHYUN, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!”

 

The Joohyun in question, with a hat in hand and eyes peeled for the action, stood behind the fences watching the show. “You’re doing fine sweetie,” Joohyun yelled in return, but it wasn’t directed to Seulgi. It was to the horse. 

 

“WHAT DO YOU MEAN?!” 

 

The way Seulgi’s voice cracked made Joohyun burst into laughter, watching the giddy horse giddy up. Seulgi didn’t visit often, but when she did, Joohyun lavished in every second of it.





 

IV

 

You know, after being married for ten years and knowing each other for twelve years in total, you would think that Seulgi would come to understand just how stubborn her wife could be.

 

“Yah, get there you smug parrot!” Said Joohyun as she was chasing the colorful bird all across the backyard, watching it flap its wings almost as a tease, hearing it quack like their duck friend -- almost laughing and mocking Joohyun. Meanwhile, out of sheer frustration but with a sense of humor on the situation, Joohyun couldn’t stop laughing. She could always catch anything with her hands, despite them being smalls. But turns out that a parrot will be the bane of her existence.

 

Seulgi, on the other hand, was seated on the folded chair she placed for tonight’s party, watching amused with apple juice in hand. She wasn’t going to stand up and help, knowing full well that this rivalry between the parrot and her wife ran far deeper than anything. 

 

It’s far funnier (and endearing) to watch her tiny wife trying to hop and catch the parrot before the party. If the earliest guest gets lucky, they’ll be able to see and share the funny sight.





 

V

 

An exciting game of dominos broke the glass panel of the table. 

 

Seungwan, Sooyoung, Joohyun and Yeri all stared at the broken pieces and the scattered tiles of that now lost game. The one responsible for this hilarious incident was none other then Seulgi, Joohyun’s partner for this game of dominos.

 

It had been an exhilarating game full of twists and turns, discreet partnerships and a few bets. Now there they were on the last round, a tiebreaker and Seulgi was sweating buckets while Joohyun was cool and calmed. It wasn’t new that Seulgi could screw up a good game, but that sunny afternoon of summer Seulgi was determined to win.

 

And so, she was the one to win this round when she was the only one that could put a tile down. However, out of excitement, Seulgi slammed that tile down against the window panel of this fancy, vintage table, unable to measure her force because of the sheer adrenaline.

 

The only thing you could hear before that was Joohyun, the ever so attentive girlfriend, saying: “Seulgi, no, wait!”

 

Then CRASH!

 

The table broke into pieces while Seungwan, who was acting as the referee and the commentator, looked at the table in disbelief. This was her house, her table, and HER glass.

 

“That’s… not a wooden table, Seul,” Joohyun said while Yeri and Sooyoung were trying her darnest to keep quiet from laughing.

 

“I… The--.”

 

“My table…” Seungwan lamented.

 

“I’m so sorry, but I was gonna win!” Seulgi said.

 

“WAS!” Sooyoung finally said before bursting into laughter. A laugh so infectious that it broke Yeri, it broke the once sullen Seungwan and made the shy Seulgi laugh that huge laugh of hers.

 

And of course, Joohyun, upon seeing her dorky girlfriend laugh at her own mistake like that, had to laugh as well.