Tomorrow.

The Ink Slinger's Diary (Seulrene Drabble Collection)

I've been struggling with writing, making coherent stories, so I decided to just show you guys something I wrote for me. Just to dust off my brain. It makes no sense but I did my best.

 

The streets, as dangerous as they were, were empty and strangely cozy. Nostalgic, like both Seulgi and Joohyun have been living in this place far longer than their age. The park was desolated, run down and yet felt like home. The fake grass that was partially gone, the rough terrain that hasn’t seen the rain in ages and the concrete path that serpented all across the park and s back. All of it was home, yet had that dangerous aura to it. It wasn't home, yet it felt like it. Hard to make sense of it. Just three hours ago, when the sun had just bid farewell, people were around the park, but now that dinner time is coming up everyone went back to their homes, safe and sound. The houses that surrounded the park had their lights on, vague silhouettes could be seen from the yellow glow, the covered windows made Seulgi wonder -- even if it was silly -- what was behind that window, inside that house and beyond what they could see.

 

Out loud, she spoke. “How do you think their life is behind those doors?” Her voice hoarse and tired, taking a long swig from the bottle of whiskey they managed to steal away from their friend.

 

Joohyun, who had been lying on her back, sat up to look at what house she was referring to. A house just in the corner, the street illuminated but lonely just like the others. That house was inhabited by a couple who had young kids. That house has always been there, but not the family. Seulgi, who lived near the area, wondered what it would look like, just as a pass time, just because she could. Joohyun couldn’t help but to find herself fond of that, looking at the lanky once-ballet dancer sitting next to her and staring into the unknown. “I don’t know, they’re probably a quiet family. The children may be having their dinner now or watching cartoons. At least i wish that's the case.”

 

Seulgi tilted her head as the cool breeze tickled them. She could envision that, a childhood similar to hers, quiet, tranquil and carefree. “Crazy how that could be us one day.”

 

Joohyun nodded, smiling up at Seulgi. “And by the time we are, it’s probably not gonna be that house, would it?”

 

“No, no,” Seulgi laughed, passing the bottle. “I don’t think I wanna live in these streets.”

 

There was just a pause, enough for Joohyun to take a sip from her drink. “Those kids would be our age at the moment we get to move in together and have a family, right?”

 

“Roughly, yeah.”

 

Joohyun watched the car passing by and looked around the park, noticing just a few group of young adults and teenagers here and there in the distance, all of them saying goodbye. It felt familiar, it looked familiar. 

 

“Does this mean you wanna marry me?” Seulgi finally said while giggling, catching Joohyun’s attention. “And have kids?”

 

“Pfft, yah!”

 

“What? You insinuated it.”
 


“I don’t know about the kids, Seulgi. But marrying sounds… a bit far, no?”

 

Seulgi understood, nodding. “That’s fair, there’s still a long way to go.”

 

They were just about to enter their twenties and their adult life was upon them. College would end soon, their town -- as humble as it was and as endearing as it was -- had to be left behind one day. Their friends would all go different places, their habits and parties would all end or shift into something else, their free time may not be like this in the future. One day, they have to stay in another park, covered by the blankets of stars in the sky that feel so different to this one, admiring another house in the distance and wondering about every story that happened on those empty streets. They were young and this was a fleeting moment, just like the others.

 

“Yeah, it is long,” or it looked long enough. "But I like that idea," Joohyun sat up well, placed the drink down and leaned to give Seulgi a quick peck before anyone could see it. “Let’s just live in the now.”

 

Because nothing could guarantee tomorrow.