Ms. Vampire.

The Ink Slinger's Diary (Seulrene Drabble Collection)

PROMPT: Word Limit (500 words), abrupt endings.

 

Dr. Kang Seulgi knew that the patient sitting in front of her, in all her pale (nearly translucent) glory, was a vampire. The way her pale skin mimicked the most eerie porcelain doll and yet had a striking beauty to it, so human and deceitful, shook Seulgi to the core; the way her doleful eyes spoke of that unbearable human pain of knowing she was cursed for life by lord Dracula himself, but also knowing that all attempts to erase the curse would be futile.

 

Her voice betrayed no emotion, but her eyes -- for that fatal split second when they locked eyes -- showed that vulnerability, that gloomy reality.

 

“What do you think, doctor?” Asked Bae Joohyun with a fine posture, hands folded and placed on her lap. She felt herself cold and dying, but her body continued on without explanation. 

 

Donning the coat and bearing the powerful title, Seulgi looked into those eyes. She didn’t know if this vampire had gifts beyond her imagination, or if she could simply intuit the response but the charged silence and atmosphere in the room helped none for Seulgi. She was invited to this abode, separated from the citizens, nuzzled close to the forest; she had to trek up a short trail up the hill to let the architectural beauty of the famed and wealthy Baes grace her presence. Moreover, behind the wrought iron gate was a garden once taken care by many, now taken care by one or two butlers that made company for the lonely, heir of the Bae’s status. Bae Joohyun.

 

And now, Seulgi was put in an uncomfortable position, in a house where once felt welcomed. It had all suddenly taken a turn. Should one of them die here, no one below would know.

 

“I just want to know,” Joohyun said softly, her eyes now dropping to the floor. 

 

Joohyun knew it, she just needed a confirmation; she could probably feel the untenable aching for blood and the thirst in . The bitemark hidden anywhere behind the fabric of her convoluted, turtleneck dress must have been aching for days now. No doctor would know from a mere glance.

 

But Seulgi could smell it. The awful vampiric stench assaulted her nostrils but did not let it show on her face, accustomed to hiding her condition with precision. Beyond the stench was just the general ghastly look, soon to turn either dashing or more grotesque.

 

Seulgi shifted, uncomfortable in the couch that belonged to the height of authority once. Tough news to deliver and she was accustomed to them, but these were the worst kind of news. Especially because she, a werebear, understood this curse that had fallen on Joohyun but it didn’t make it any simpler to express that she, like her, was doomed.

 

Especially because beyond this sorrowful occasion...

 

“Am I a vampire?”

 

Sharp breath in.

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

Laid a forbidden, passionate romance that could not longer exist.

 

But then Joohyun showed that sad, melancholic smile of a victim of the darkness.

 

“I always knew you were a werebeast.”

 

Seulgi’s heart stopped.