A Kiss For Breakfast

The Ink Slinger's Diary (Seulrene Drabble Collection)

Inspired by a song and its music video.

 

A lost straw hat drifted on the tender ripples of the ocean, floating on the surface quietly, looking at its owner continuing their path without stopping. They were determined, not willing to go back, heart leaping with anticipation. The boat, old but mighty, charges on bravely against the morning tides on a mission, hoping the sound of its engine didn’t disturb the early birds of the coast. Kang Seulgi, the woman driving the boat, had a smile bigger than the sun and a bouquet of flowers freshly picked out of her tended garden, all different colors and different fragrances wafting through the air.

 

Just by the small wooden dock stood that ethereal being right at the end of it. That woman that always had Seulgi on her toes and fresh every morning, the woman who was the first thing in her mind every morning. Bae Joohyun whose singing voice was quiet but melodious, almost designed to sing along with the chirping birds every break of dawn. That same voice was what drew Seulgi to her on that crisp afternoon, like she was hypnotized by a siren call. She was so ethereal that Seulgi couldn’t help herself, she had to swing by her humble abode near the docks every time since. And she’s never been unwelcomed there. In the distance, the pale woman glowed with that golden hue. There she was, just like each day, awaiting eagerly for Seulgi. And Seulgi stood up to smile and wave at her, as if reassuring her that she was coming.

 

When the distracted woman caught her eye, her smile showed immediately and waved back, like two kids that had not seen each other in months. It had been only two weeks at most, but their heart yearned for each other’s warmth like no other. Very briefly did Joohyun think that Seulgi could not make it today, but it was a fleeting thought that never manifested and she was glad. Standing there in her flowery dress, light against the breeze, awaiting for that charming fisherwoman with her heart singing songs and leaping with joy.

 

The boat came to a slow stop by the end of the deck, quickly tied to the post and forbidden from drifting away with the soothing ocean. Seulgi, still grinning, hopped off the boat with the bouquet in hand, earning a grateful gasp from her lover.

 

“They come close to your beauty,” Seulgi said softly, letting the birds sing and fill in, gently bowing her head and offering them for Joohyun to take.

 

And of course, Joohyun took them gratefully, lavishing in that lovely fragrance of nature. It smelled like the Kang’s garden, so popular in this small little village. To be honored with such a gift warmed Joohyun’s heart. “Thank you,” Joohyun said equally soft, leaning in to give Seulgi that sweet morning kiss they both were hungry for, pressing her lips so tenderly just by the corner of Seulgi’s lips.

 

A playful tease, a sweet poke, but an amazing appetizer.

 

It had certainly made Seulgi hungry for the rest of breakfast.

 

A quiet breakfast accompanied with fruits and juice. Nothing. But most importantly was that natural sweetness that emanated from each other when they looked at each other’s eyes, the way they felt their lips tugged into a big goofy smile with every honey-like word, the way their foot playfully poked each other under the table with that childish, pure love. Seulgi’s scar (that had a brave story behind it) on her left cheek received an adulation and a tender caress before finally getting a kiss for breakfast, a token of gratitude to Seulgi for having risked her life defending the village. That lovely birthmark on the nape of Joohyun’s neck was sweetly poked and marveled at by the curious Seulgi before receiving a kiss as well. The adorable giggles and laughter fueled each other’s canister for the day far more than the food filled their tummies, the fresh fruit was colorful but not like their sweet words.

 

The breakfast didn’t end when the fruits finished, but continued on in the sweet kisses that travelled up Joohyun’s arm, decorating her skin with that lingering love. It continued with the way Joohyun massaged Seulgi’s shoulder, undoing the knots of her hard work and preparing her for today’s trip, which would leave her three days out in the seas should the fish not catch her bait. With one last kiss to seal the dessert course beautifully, both lovers parted ways with barely any other words besides the honest and tender:

“I love you.”

 

A normal breakfast, no matter how nutritious, was nothing compared to a kiss for breakfast.