New York

The Paradox of Loving Her
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I told myself to get a rest and forget everything even just for this day, that I’ll let myself be carefree around Tiffany just for today. Things will come to light soon so I should seize the moment while it still last. Maybe if things would be good today, I will reconsider aborting this pathetic revenge.

I take a glance on my digital wristwatch. It’s already five o’clock in the morning. The sun’s about to rise and I decided to head back to the hotel in case Tiffany wakes up and look for me.

I was on my way to the hotel I passed by to this bagel shop where people are queueing eagerly. It instantly piqued my interest –the shop’s food must be delicious so I didn’t bother joining the line. And might as well I buy something for me and Tiffany instead of having room service for breakfast.

After a few minutes of queueing and ordering, the person handed me the paper bag containing the food that I have ordered and I handed him the exact amount in exchange.

I left the shop with a smile on my face and continued my way back to the hotel.

When I reached our hotel room, I swiped the magnetic card and opened the door. I stealthily walked my way inside, not wanting to disturb Tiffany in case she’s still sleeping. But as I walk my way around, the bedroom’s door is slightly opened and I could see her already sitting on the bed.

I fully opened the door and talked to her. "You’re up early."

After she effortlessly tied her hair, she looked at me and sleepily said, "You’re up early too. Where have you been?"

"Oh, I went for a short walk. I also bought us some breakfast. I got you garlic cream cheese turkey bagel. I hope you don’t mind." I raised the paper bag containing the bagels and salad I bought from the shop I passed by when I was on my way back to the hotel.

Another yawn. She smiled at me and replied, “Thanks. I’ll just wash my face and brush my teeth first. I’ll be with you in a moment.”

“Okay.” I responded with a brief smile and went to the suite’s mini kitchen bar to prepare the breakfast I’ve bought for us. I placed the chicken pesto salad in a much presentable bowl, and placed two forks in a tissue napkin.

After a few minutes, Tiffany joined me in the kitchen bar with a much fresher look. She takes her seat across me and began inspecting the bagel in front of her. Based on her expression, I can say that I bought the right thing.

“Coffee or juice?” I asked.

It’s been a long time since I had a casual morning with Tiffany. The last time I had breakfast with her with less awkwardness was ten years ago, during her birthday. And as much as I can recall, she prefers juice over coffee during breakfast.

“Juice.” She answered right before taking a bite of the bagel.

I short smile appeared on my lips. I took the 450ml bottle of the healthy juice I bought with the food earlier and placed it in front of her. “Here you go.”

“Thanks.” She twisted the cap of the bottle and opened it. She started drinking and puts down the bottle as soon as she fully consumed her bagel.

After watching Tiffany for a short moment, I took a mouthful of my own bagel and revel in to its mouthwatering taste. I wiped the sauce that brimmed over my lips and takes a sip of the caramel macchiato that I bought with me.

I steal a glance at Tiffany and see her taking a forkful of the chicken and some vegetables as she asked me, "So what's the plan? What time do we go in the office?"

I swallowed the food that I was eating and casually replied, "Explore the city. Eat at a fancy restaurant."

I grasped the fork lying down in front of me and joined Tiffany eating the salad before she can empty it by herself.

We’re at the verge of finishing the food when she resignedly called my name,"Taeyeon."

"What? I'm not kidding. It's a day off. Our schedule with the branch representative is still tomorrow." I told her defensively and finished the last piece of my bagel.

My phone lighted up as a new notification turned up. I looked at the screen and sees Dean’s name, inviting me to stroll around the city. I disregarded his text message and locked the screen of my phone. Then I shifted my glance towards Tiffany and said, “Time’s ticking. Are you in?”

I placed the empty plastic container of the bagels back to the paper bag and grasped my drink. I stand up from my seat and Tiffany asks me, “Where are you going?”

“Taking my bath, getting myself ready to stroll around the city today.” I coolly told her as I went my way to the bedroom to prepare my clothes

And as soon as I finished preparing them on the bed, I went out of the room being welcomed by Tiffany.

“I’m coming with you, but I’m going to take a bath first.” She informed me as she casually makes her way to the bathroom.

It took a total of three hours for the both of us from taking our respective baths and preparing our most comfortable yet refined attires, and ourselves for our ‘date’. Tiffany mostly consumed the time as she’s being particular on what she should wear and what she should bring.

After finalizing everything, we left our suite and handed the magnetic card key to the person in-charge in the lobby for room service cleaning. A few moments later, the car arrived at the entrance, and the valet person handed me the power door lock.

I smiled as a gesture of thanks and waited for Tiffany to clamber inside the passenger seat in front, right before I clambered into the driver’s seat.

We fastened our seatbelts, and I started driving to Brooklyn. There’s less traffic on the road at this hour so it was easier for us to reach our first destination – Rough Trade.

Tiffany’s eyebrows were creased the moment she stepped down from the car. It seems like she isn’t familiar with this place and probably wondering why we went here.

I shake my head in amusement and approached her. I entwined our fingers and went our way inside the store.

The moment we stepped inside the music store, her expression changed from puzzlement to amazement. She was so engrossed with the hundreds, probably thousands, of vinyl records that surrounds us that she didn’t bother letting go of my hand.

“Wow. Where did you find this place?”

“Saw it online. Apparently, our favorite girl group filmed one of their reality shows here.” I casually disclosed.

I see her raising her eyebrows, and then she amusingly said, “Really? You’re still a fan of them?”

I shrugged and nonchalantly made my reply. “Why not? They’re amazing people. I don’t have any reason to ‘unlike’ them.”

“Tae, look! There’s an LP of Chopin here!” She excitedly said as she runs to the arranged stack of vinyl records and carefully grabbed the one that she just recognized earlier.

“Do you want it?” I asked as I take a glimpse of the Chopin: Piano Concerto 1&2 vinyl that she’s holding.

I know that Tiffany would love this place so I brought us here on purpose. She used to play piano and love music when we were kids.

“Nah. I don’t have any LP player back home. It would be a waste.” She casually said, but I can see on her face that she’s having a hard time whether to buy the vinyl record or not.

I didn’t want to look nosy so I say, “Okay. I’ll just look around first.”

“Okay.” She smiled at me and placed the vinyl record back to its right place.

As soon as Tiffany and I separated ways to look around the store, I immediately get a hold of those vinyl records that grabbed her interest. If my memory serves me right, Tiffany is into R&B Pop and Electronic kind of music so I also obtained another two vinyl records that she’ll probably like.

As I go around, I see her listening into some random music on the player booth. I didn’t bother calling her and just went on my way to get a portable vinyl player. Not far from where I am standing, I spotted a pink-colored portable vinyl player and instantly take it with me. Perfect.

The moment I am done with my purchases, I went to the counter to pay the items that I have bought. And while waiting for them to be completely wrapped, I turned around and see Tiffany walking towards my direction.

“Anything caught your attention aside from the LP records?” I casually asked her.

“Mmm. This book.” She said as she showed me the gray book with a pink font which reads ‘THE UNDERGROUND IS MASSIVE’ and paid it on the counter.

My purchases were wrapped and packed in time with Tiffany’s item. She looked at the huge paper bag and the portable vinyl player that I am holding and say, “You bought a lot. Who’s that for?”

“It’s for you.” I replied with a smile as I made my exit to the store, going back to the car.

So far so good, Taeyeon. Are you already changing your mind about the revenge? The wicked voice in my head finally made its appearance.

I clenched my teeth and shut the voice out of my head and clambered inside the driver’s seat the moment I deposited the items back in the passenger seat. Tiffany arrived shortly and clambered inside the car.

She buckles her seatbelt and asks, “Where are we going next?”

“Central Park.” I replied, pulling my seatbelt from the side and buckles it. I the car’s engine and started driving.

“Are you really serious with this?”

“Yeah. It’s such a waste if we just stay indoors. Why, do you want to go back to the hotel?” I coolly said, my hands on the steering wheel and my eyes darted on the road.

“No! I want to explore New York with you.” She replied right away.

We arrived our second destination in no time. I turned the engine off and we clambered out of the car, walking our way to the nearest attraction from our location – Heckscher playground.

Variety of slides, swings, seesaws, water fixtures, and giant rocks for climbing welcomed our sight the moment we reached the playground. I could see in Tiffany’s eyes that she liked the place and I’m glad. Some memories of us when we were younger have probably triggered in her mind too.

We strolled around the playground, take our seats on the empty swings just vacated by the two young girls who continued to play around, and observed our surroundings – the passersby, the giggles of the children as they have fun with their friends, and the playground itself.

An hour passed by, and I slowly start to notice that Tiffany’s mood. She’s oddly quiet so I initiated the talk. “I’m sorry that of all places in the park, I chose to bring you here.”

“It’s okay. Heckscher playground is good too. It actually reminds me of that park where we always go when we were kids.”

“You’re right. And you always nag me for cotton candies and ice cream whenever we go there.” I chuckled as I recall some memories of us when we were kids.

“You can’t blame a child for that.”

“Oh, and that continued when we went to middle school and high school. I bet you’re still going to do that if you and I went to the same university together. If you haven’t…” I paused as memories of that day starting to play in my mind.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter