The Real and The Fake

The Paradox of Loving Her
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s two o’clock in the afternoon, and the traffic in the usually busy streets of Seoul started to wind down. After Taeyeon has eaten her lunch and has taken her prescriptions earlier, I lulled her to sleep and made sure that she won’t be looking for me anytime soon before I leave the hospital.

As I passed by to the nurse station, I instructed the person on duty to call me if anything happens. I thanked the person and went my way to the parking area.

I the engine as soon as I get inside the car, putting my seatbelt on. I changed the gear pad and started driving.

I pressed the button and immediately give Sooyoung a cheerful greeting. “Hey, what’s up?”

"Fany. What happened?" She replied in a very much worried tone.

I dropped the false happy attitude that I was wearing and wiped the fake smile off my face. I breathed in then replied, "I take it that Yuri already called you."

"You know that we're just concerned for you and Taeyeon."

"I know, Soo. I know. That's why I'm being thankful to have you." I told her with utmost sincerity.

"Ugh. Please don't be thankful. It's just makes me feel guiltier." She said in a weary tone, which I could totally understand.

"I'm sorry."

Sooyoung didn’t waste any more of her time and immediately threw her question. "So, what happened? Did Taeyeon recognize Dean?"

"She did. But it seems like her memories of him are limited. She only sees him as a friend."

"And what about Dean?" she inquisitively asked.

I know exactly what Sooyoung is asking about, but still I pretended not to know. "What about him?"

"Oh my gosh, Tiffany! Really? He's the real boyfriend!" She exclaimed, not fully aware that her words just pricked me. Her bluntness is just amazing.

I let out a sigh and replied, "I know, Soo. That's why I'm on my way to meet him."

"Wait. You're meeting him?" Sooyoung said in a much calmer tone.

"Yes." I told her in a matter of fact.

"Do you need help? I'll go with you." There is a hint of worry in her voice. Just a moment ago, she’s being a reprimanding friend and now she’s being concerned. I’m really grateful to have her, also Yuri and Hyoyeon as my friends.

"It's okay, Soo. I can manage." I assured her.

"I'm not worried about you, pabo-yah. I'm worried about him." She scolded me once again. And it’s the first time that she addressed me ‘stupid’, which I won’t argue in this case. I am indeed being stupid, and I’m just letting myself to act one.

"Don't worry. I won't lash out on him. I don't have any rights. You said it yourself. Dean is the real boyfriend." I smiled bitterly as I uttered the last two words. And that makes me the fake girlfriend then.

"I'm sorry, Fany." Sooyoung apologetically replied as she probably realized by now that she has slightly offended my feelings unconsciously.

"It's okay, Soo. I gotta go. I'm here." I kindly told her and abruptly ended the call before one of us gets guiltier of what’s happening right now.

I turned my steering wheel, making the entire car turn to right, and the familiar café started to get clearer in my vision as I go closer.

After a minute or two, I arrived at my destination and I parked my car outside the café. I clambered outside as soon as I have turned the engine off and have unbuckled my seatbelt. I walked my way inside the café and immediately spotted the person who I exactly wanted to meet.

I approached towards Dean’s table and sat across him. "Hi. Thank you for meeting me on short notice."

"It's fine. I really wanted to talk to you about Taeyeon." He courteously told me and raised his hand. I looked at the direction he is staring at and sees a waiter approaching us with an iced coffee on the tray he’s holding.

The waiter humbly placed the drink in front of me and left us. I just stared at the drink for a moment, then I heard Dean saying, “Don’t worry. It’s not poisoned.”

I moved my gaze to him and sees that he’s already fiddling with the straw of his drink. His awkward silence and gesture started to gnaw me that I went straightforward on the purpose why I called him. "Look, I'm sorry. I know that you're probably mad at me for taking advantage of the situation, making her believe that we're the one who are dating."

He leaned on the backrest of his seat and looks at me in the eyes. "I am actually not mad."

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. He should be mad at me. In fact, he should be yelling at me right now for stealing Taeyeon to him. "You aren't?"

He nodded briefly and takes a sip of his milkshake. Then he looked at me again with an awful expression and regrettably said, "I'm just disappointed that the great Tiffany Hwang, Kim Taeyeon's first love, will be like this."

"You think of me highly, Dean-ssi."

He lets out a sarcastic smile and said, "Why not? During my early years of being friends with Taeyeon, things were always been about you. You never came out of the picture."

And his storytelling begins.

[<<] FLASHBACK

[A/N: This flashback is Dean’s POV as he talks with Tiffany]

 

My early days with Taeyeon wasn’t that easy. I’m being friendly with her but she keeps on ignoring me. There’s this one time when one of our major subject teachers gave us another load of chapters to read, the class has just ended and I called her. "Taeyeon-ah!"

"What is it again, Hyuk?" She snappily said.

"Do you want to accompany me to the library? You know, advanced studying?"

She just rolled her eyes at me and mockingly said, "Don't you have any other friends?"

Of course I have other friends. But just like Taeyeon, my friends belong to the other faculties and their building is far from the Business and Accounting faculty.

Instead of answering her sarcastic question, I asked her back. "Why are you so grouchy? Are you on your period?"

She seemed to not mind whatever I was saying as she just languidly replied, "Just leave me alone."

 

Taeyeon’s been the same moody person as months passed by. But I already get used to it and adjusted myself to her mood swings. Eventually, Taeyeon and I became study buddies. We go to the library every after classes, but that day was an exception. Taeyeon has left the cla

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter