Retrograde

The Paradox of Loving Her
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I feel a plastic tube attached to my arm, and the other end is attached to a bag of clear fluid hanging from a metal hook. It takes a few minutes for me to absorb the familiar yet strange surroundings that welcomed my sight. I am in a hospital. Wait, why am I in the hospital? What happened to me?

My head starts throbbing as I try to recall things that occurred before I ended up in this condition. The last thing I remember is that I’m on my way home after receiving a text message from Tiffany telling me that she’s waiting for me there.

I winced as the pain that I’m feeling gets severe. Tears escaped from my eyes as I cannot withstand the pain anymore. It didn’t take long when I feel arms wrapped around me, shushing me to stop crying. Those delicate hands caressing my back, as if assuring me that everything’s okay and I’m going to be fine.

The torture that I was feeling went gone a few moments later. The person who was hugging me loosened the hug and worriedly asked me, “Are you okay now, Taeyeon-ah?”

Tiffany. I tightened the grip as soon as I knew it was her. I inhaled her scent and noticed that she changed her perfume. I find it strange because we just bought refills of our perfumes the other week. “What happened, Fany-ah? Why am I here?”

The two of us stayed like that for a short moment until she pulled out from the hug and looked at me with her sad eyes. “You’ve been into an accident. You were driving and---”

“I was driving? I already know how to drive?” I asked her in confusion. The last time I checked I was still having private driving lessons with Heechul oppa.

Tiffany furrowed her eyebrows and asked me back. “You’re kidding, right?”

I shook my head and replied, “All I remember was you sending me a text message to meet me at our house.”

“Is that all you remember?” She asked me once again and I just nodded in response.

It worried me that Tiffany’s staring me like that. Then it all occurred to me when I noticed that she’s wearing fancier clothes right now, more like a professional. “Miyoung-ah, what year is it?”

She held my hand and breathed deeply before answering my question. “2017.”

“T-twenty seventeen? I-I’ve been in comatose for a decade?” I said in daze, not able to comprehend the situation.

“N-no. It’s just been a week since this, the accident happened.”

I gritted my teeth as the banging in my head starts coming back. I know placing my hand over my head is useless and won’t lessen the pain but I still did it. I groaned in pain and tightened my hold on Tiffany’s hand. “It hurts.”

I already sensed that Tiffany wanted to panic but she’s holding it back for me. “D-do you want me to call the doctor? Wait. I’ll go get her for you.”

Before she could let go of my hand and leave, I tightened my hold to her and pleaded, “Stay.”

“But Tae---”

“It’ll be gone soon. Just stay here with me. Don’t leave me again.” I blurted out as I winced in pain.

The pain started to subside as soon as I realize what I have just told her. Don’t leave me again.

I moved my head up and looked at Tiffany. She’s staring at me blankly. She must also be surprised to the last word that I’ve said. I know that the last thing that Tiffany will do is to leave me and yet, I blurted out that word as if she’ll leave me… as if she already left me before.

“I won’t leave you, Tae. I’m here.” She said the moment she went back to her senses and sat next to me. Tiffany caressed my cheeks and leaned in for a kiss.

I was taken aback by that action but didn’t complain. I closed my eyes and let her soft, adorable lips into mine. The kiss didn’t last long, but it’s a chaste one. And it felt like she’s been longing for it, for me. And so was I.

As soon as we break free from our kiss, I instantly took the opportunity and asked her, “Fany, perhaps are we in a relationship?”

“Yes.” She said as our foreheads and the tips of our nose still touched, her eyes still closed as if seizing this moment.

“I thought I wasn’t able to confess my feelings for you that day. I’m glad I did.” I said with a wide smile on my face.

Then I see her suddenly tearing up. I pulled out enough to get a better view of her face and wiped her tears. I frowned and worriedly said, “Hey, why are you crying?”

She just shook her head and opened her eyes. She smiled at me with my favorite smile of hers and said, “I’m just happy.”

Then Tiffany started crying and sobbing. I hate seeing her cry so I pulled her into a hug and comforted her this time. I caressed her back and said, “Don’t cry. I’m here. I’m not going anywhere.”

After Tiffany has finally calmed herself down, I asked her to tell me some information, significant ones, which I need. Ten years is a great time and I need to catch up in case those memories come back. I’m aware that this kind of memory that I’m suffering with is a retrograde amnesia, and I know that there’s a possibility that I won’t retrieve those memories again.

I’m aware that one day isn’t enough to know everything that happened for the past decade. I’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter