Homecoming

The Paradox of Loving Her
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sitting on the high stool, glancing at the happy faces of people around just makes me feel out place. It’s not like I don’t have any friends at the party, but I’m not that social butterfly who loves to talk and hangout like everybody else. I’m already contented with having my own personal space, and I feel good that I finally got time for myself after a year-long heavy schedule from work.

I eyed the entire ballroom area and search for a certain someone, but it seems that the person I am looking for hasn’t arrived yet. I sighed and shake my head. Why are you even looking for someone who left you, Kim Taeyeon?

I shifted my gaze back to my drink and takes hold of the glass. I moved it side to side and finished the drink in just one gulp. I know I shouldn’t be drinking any alcoholic beverages because of my low tolerance but I just feel like drinking tonight.

I was about to pour myself another glass of vodka when someone took the vodka decanter from me.

"I didn't know that you know how to drink." A familiar thin voice spoke to me. I looked to my side and see one of my closest friends in high school giving me her sweetest smile.

"Jessica." I said in surprise. I almost forgot that she’d be here in the homecoming too.

Jessica takes her seat on the empty high stool next to me and said, "Long time no see, Taeng. Where are your friends?"

"They’re probably just around socializing with our batchmates." I shrugged and reached for the decanter but she keeps it away from me. I frowned at her, wanting another drink. It’s not like I always taste alcohol.

"Why don't you join them rather than just sitting here and drowning yourself from alcohol?" she asked me in concern as she takes an empty glass and filled it with ice and vodka.

"You know that I don't socialize, Sica." I reminded her knowing that she’s aware of my abhorrence towards the system of the society---that people only treat you as their friend when they want to get something from you. And once they are done with you, they’ll shut you out and completely ignore you.

As if sensing my thoughts, Jessica heaved a sigh and pours me a drink. "Yeah, right. You don't socialize yet we still became friends."

I shook my head and took a sip of the bitter drink that slowly takes my soberness away from me. I looked at Jessica and snorted. "That's a different story. You know that you're different from them."

"Oh, right. I passed the standards of being your friend." She chuckled and takes a sip of her drink.

"Silly." I told her unbelievably. I just can’t believe that Jessica still thinks that I have my own standards on choosing friends. The thought of having standards just made me laugh.

“What? Why are you laughing like that?” Jessica eyed me intently like I already gone insane.

I stopped from laughing and shook my head. “It just came to my mind that if I put my own standards on choosing friends then Soo, Hyo and Yul won’t make it. You know how different I am with them.”

Jessica nodded in understanding and said. “Yeah. They all have outgoing personality unlike you. I’m glad that they withstood your personality.”

“Yah. What do you mean by that?” I asked with my eyebrows furrowed.

She just shook her head and said, "Nothing. By the way, I heard you're busy nowadays. Kim Taeyeon, the most sought after financial accountant and analyst of Yeouido. South Korea’s representative for International Finance Corporation."

I won’t deny that hearing those words coming from someone I know sounded flattering to me. But instead of being proud, I remained humble.

"Don't kid around, Sica. You're way busier than me. I'm actually honored that the CEO of Blanc and Eclare is speaking with me." I told her which is true. Being a top executive of a large company is never going to be easy especially when stocks are unpredictable.

"Whatever, Taeng. You have Kim Corporation, too. I know that you’re taking over your family’s company once you finished familiarizing the global market, and once you find yourself ready to join our cruel world." Jessica bantered. She really does know how to keep me silent.

Yes, I am the daughter and the future of Kim Corporation, a transnational company who owns a lot of subsidiaries in Asia. But there are only few people who know about my familial background. Even my friends don’t know about my family. It was only her who knows about me.

And Jessica, it’s a different case. She caught me one time at the mall and one of my attendants addressed me as young miss. I asked her to keep it a secret, as I don’t want other people to be nice with me just because I am rich and she agreed as long as I don’t avoid her. She asked me to be my friend, and knowing that she’s different from the people I detest, I immediately said yes.

I know that Jessica doesn’t have any ulterior motive to have me as her friend so I gladly accepted her. Whenever th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter