Never Gone

We Are Unbreakable

A/N: How's it going? It's been a while but I finally had the time and idea to write another story! This will be my first time writing TaengSic in someone else's point of view. I didn't expect to have a few responses for this thread and I do appreciate it!

_____________________________

Everyone dies at some point in their lives whether it be accidentally or naturaly. My grandmother just died of natural causes and she lived up to her 80's. I'm wondering if that's a long enough time to live or if it's still too short. Eitherway, our lives are predestined and we don't know when everything would be gone. Hence why we should live without any regrets.

Funerals are a time for sadness and grief. It's the final goodbye for someone everyone cared for in one way or another. My grandmother's ashes were placed on an urn and kept sealed through the conrete plate containing her name. Amidst the crowd, I noticed a young woman sitting down in front of someone's grave, prepping up the flowers that she had prepared for the person inside the little urn grave. Right next to her was another young woman dressed in white sitting next to her, looking in concern.

I wonder if their relative or whoever it was to them recently died too.

 

A month later, my family decided to visit grandma in the cemetery. I noticed once again that those two same women were there. I wonder if they visited frequently. No words were said between the two women. The woman wearing black just looked at the plaque of their beloved like usual while the woman in white sat beside her like the previous time I saw them. After my family was done visiting my grandmother, before leaving, I looked back at the two women.

The plaque read: "Jung Soo Yeon."

 

Two years later, I finally finished highschool and am about to move on to college. I decided to visit my grandmother myself to tell her about my achievement and my current goal in life. I had flowers ready and candles to light up her grave. I noticed the same two women present in the cemetery once again. They must love the person dearly. It shouldn't be a mere coincidence for the both of them to be there whenever I go there. Maybe they come very often, maybe even everyday.

"Excuse me..."

The young woman in black looked up at me in question.

"... I've been seeing both of you around here everytime I'm here. I'm wondering if I'm being too invasive but... you two must really care about that person."

"B-Both of us?" the woman in black questioned.

All of a sudden, the woman in white turned to me and shook her head. At that moment, I put the pieces together and realized what was really going on.

"I-I'm sorry, I meant you must really care about that person... Ms. Jung."

"Oh..." the woman in black scratched her head, "... I do... very..."

"Is she a really close friend?" I asked.

"Yeah," she nodded and brushed her fingers on Ms. Jung's plaque, "it could have been more..."

"I-I'm sorry?"

"Ah... n-no, sorry. I'm talking too much."

I shook my head.

"If you love her, then you love her. I'm fine with the idea," I smiled.

"Thanks I guess," she smiled back.

"I should get going though. It was nice talking to you," I waved.

"Same here, have a good rest of your day!"

Leaving the cemetery, I wondered if I should have caught her name. I also wonder how I could see the woman in white but she couldn't. I'm guessing the woman in white is Ms. Jung.

 

I decided to visit grandmother again after 2 months to say I got accepted into Dongguk University. I was expecting for Ms. Jung and the young woman in black to be there again... and I wasn't wrong at all. I wonder how long in all actuality she had been visiting Ms. Jung.

As I laid the flowers on my grandmother's grave, I went over to the woman in black. She greeted me with a smile.

"How's it going?" she asked.

"Doing fine, I got accepted at Dongguk University and came to tell my grandma about it."

"Ah," she nodded, "congratulations young lady!"

"Thank you!" I bowed, "My name's Wendy by the way, and yours is?"

"Tae Yeon, pleased to meet you."

"Same here! So... do you visit Ms. Jung everyday?"

Tae Yeon nodded.

"I visit her everyday after work for as long as my heart feels like it."

I looked at the plaque closely and saw that it was about to be three years since Ms. Jung has passed away. So I'm guessing it's been that long since Tae Yeon has been visiting Ms. Jung. That is definitely dedication right there. She must have really loved Ms. Jung a lot.

"There are a few things I regret not doing... that's why you need not to waste time on stupid things," Tae Yeon sighed.

"What is it exactly that you regret?"

On the side, I saw Ms. Jung paying attention to what Tae Yeon was about to say.

"You see, 'Ms. Jung' here actually confessed to me a week prior she was taken away," she smiled, "I didn't give her an answer but she told me she would wait."

"What exactly went through your mind as to why you haven't responded to her?"

"I was thinking a lot of things... discrimination, abandonment, embarrassment... all sorts of things. Thinking about it now, I should have initially thought up one thing when she confessed to me."

"And what was that?"

Tae Yeon looked at me straight in the eyes and said, "nothing should have mattered. Her love and my love for her should have been the only thing that mattered."

I noticed Ms. Jung weeping as Tae Yeon expressed how she felt. Tae Yeon must have longed to say this but didn't have an outlet to tell anyone close to her.

"And I hope you do the same, Wendy. Whatever your heart tells you, don't let anything or anyone prevent you from doing what your heart yearns for... at least if you know it's right."

"I'm sure Ms. Jung knows that you love her back," I smiled.

"I'm hoping so too. I was stupid for making her wait... Who would've thought she'd be taken away from me too fast after her confession. This must be a huge punishment for me for being too selfish..."

"It's understandable, Tae Yeon-sshi. And Ms. Jung definitely understands..."

I looked at Ms. Jung and she looked straight back at me with a smile on her face as tears traced down her cheeks to her jawline.

"... and also, she's always beside you no matter what..."

"C-Can you see her?"

I looked at Tae Yeon, then back at Ms. Jung. Ms. Jung gave me a nod... probably encouraging me to tell Tae Yeon that she's around... that she was here.

I looked back at Tae Yeon, who was all hopeful, and confirmed, "she's here. I can see her."

"J-Jess---"

"She's been around you this whole time... whenever I saw you here. She's always been beside you."

Ms. Jung tried to wrap her arms around Tae Yeon but her ghostly figure just went through her body. She was saddened but seemed to understand that she could never be able to touch her loved one once again.

"Jessica... if you're listening. I love you and I'm sorry for making you wait. Had I known it was going to happen this way, I would have done it earlier..." Tae Yeon started crying uncontrollably, "... I'm s-so stupid f-for avoiding you afterw-wards. I-I'm so stupid for n-not being there, for not saving y-you. I'm sorry..."

I looked over at Ms. Jung, who was helpless. I knew she wanted to hug Tae Yeon, to calm her down, but she couldn't. She looked at me and looked at me, begging. I gave her a slight nod and pulled Tae Yeon over to me as she continued to weep her sorrows. I looked over at Ms. Jung once again.

"Thank you," she mouthed.

After that, she vanished into thin air. Tae Yeon was still crying upon me. I wonder where Ms. Jung went. Wherever she went, I'm sure she's in a definite happy place now, watching over her loved one, never leaving her no matter how the circumstances now are for the both of them.