Caretaking

BTS Caretaker
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 3: Am i going to babysit babytan?

The clock is ticking. Every time the clock strikes 12 indicating one hour had just passed, Seul’s anxiety doubled in comparison to previous hour. And it repeated itself until the door to the intensive care unit opened widely only to be welcomed with a distress and sombre looking man in his late 50’s. Since Ji Seul just arrived two hours ago, she was not able to meet the doctor in charged so like a reflect Hoon arose from his seat greeting the man in front with a polite bow.

“Family of Hwang Jihyun?” said the man which earned the siblings’ attention right way. They nodded in unison as both looked eager to hear whatever was about to be spilled that moment.

“How’s my mother?” Seul clasped her hand together hoping for some positive answers.

His lips were pressed into a thin line and he heaved a soft sigh “I am afraid her condition is worsening than I expected. I already warned her to be consistent with her weekly treatment, guess she is too busy to do that. May I know is she working or a housewife?” Seul was baffled. She really could not understand what he was trying to deliver at the moment. What treatment was he referring to? As far as she concerned, her mother never mentioned about her being ill.

“I think I am a little confused here, what do you mean by weekly treatment?” Hoon brows perked up in curiosity following her sister gazed to the man in his white attire in front of them. It never dawned to any of them that their mother was ill or at the brink of death.

“I am sorry? Are you not aware of your mother’s condition? She suffered from a kidney failure and it has been a year since she was diagnosed with one. And currently she is still waiting for the donors. That is the sole reason why she must show up for the treatment without skipping any. Her life is depending on it” he fixated his round glasses examining the two teenagers in front of him.

Both Ji Hoon and Ji Seul gasped upon hearing the news. They really had no idea why would their mother lied to them when it was a serious matter. It must be because of the money. Then it finally dawned on her that their mother was so stubborn to keep her job as BTS’s caretaker just because they paid her handsomely. No matter how tiring the job was, she would keep going without reconsidering to quit any.

The man then understood something was off judging from their clueless face, he then continued “I apologized that I am the one who break the news to you but please talk it out with her. She must quit whatever she is doing now and start to pay attention on her health more. Her condition is not favourable to do any tiring activities which required her to move around. It will only drain her more” he patted Hoon’s shoulder with a hint of sympathy and concern.

Seul was losing her words. She really had nothing to say so she chose to shut tight. As much as she wanted to vent her anger questioning this stupid destiny being set to her family, it was no use. She is the eldest in the family so she had to appear strong and calm. Her heart is shattering apart, and her dam is about to explode by anytime soon.

It wouldn’t do any good to bawl her eyes out in front of Hoon. No matter how annoying Hoon could be, he is her younger brother and a cry baby. If she ever shed tears today, Hoon would follow along. She didn’t want Hoon to witness her weak and fragile side. She had to set a good example to her brother.

In the name of her love for this family, Seul would not shed tears tonight. Never.

 

------------------

“Don’t smile, you are still guilty for keeping this from me and Hoon, mother” Seul sighed as she watched her mother ran her fingers between her white hair.

“Hey who is the mother here. You or me?” Mrs Hwang frowned in response.

Seul scoffed “Do not play mother today, I am your guardian and the heir of the family! So I have right to question your despicable action, dear mother” she crossed her arms with a deep sigh.

“Heir? Don’t make me laugh young lady. We don’t even own a building, you are calling yourself an heir. Why so shameless Ji Seul? Aigoo.. Aigoo..” the older woman flicked her daughter forehead annoyed by Seul’s dramatic reaction. Sometimes she wondered how could a young lady like Seul act like a seventy years old grandmother. Her speech could be unreasonable in comparison to her age.

“You should have told us. Don’t you think we at least deserve to know that you are suffering and need help. If you are keeping the pain to yourself, how am I supposed to help. Mother, we are your children, can’t you at least share the loads on your shoulder with us?” she reached out to her mother hand and interlaced it with hers. It felt so cold.

Her mother broke a genuine smile with a hint of fatigue and sadness “Seul-ah, I am your mother there is no way I am pressuring you with my problems. I will be fine don’t worry because having you and Hoon by my side give me strength to go on with life. I am sorry that I keep this away from both of you but I don’t want you to worry about me. It is hard enough for both of you living your life like this” she sighed.

“Don’t say that. We are happy living with you” Hoon pouted in his seat. He moved to take a seat beside Mrs Hwang and wounded his arm around her. He disliked seeing his mother suffered alone, enduring the pain for them when he’s a big boy already. For once, Hoon wanted to quit everything and worked this thing right. Yet, he knew he couldn’t do that because of his mother and Seul. Seul sacrificed her studies so Hoon could graduate high school with zero worries. The least that he could was to graduate and secured a good job in the future.

“Mom, we are family and we care for you. Never lie about your health again, it is worrying us especially when it involves life or death. Your health is not something to gamble. Please listen to us for once, quit your job and concentrate on getting better instead” Seul persuaded.

Hoon nodded as he continued “I can do a part time job, it will be enough to support us at least every month” Mrs Hwang sho

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter