♥ Twenty-Six

Waiting

Seongwoo was right: suddenly everyone wanted to cast him with Baekho in reality shows. It would have been great if Baekho wasn’t in the same group as Seongwoo’s now ex-boyfriend whom he was having a hard time trying to forget. Now that NU’EST and Seongwoo had a lot of the same schedules, Seongwoo had to run into that handsome idiot who practically stood him up and broke his heart. And as much as Seongwoo wanted to ignore him, he just couldn’t.

He caught Minhyun staring at him many times when they were in waiting rooms together, and Seongwoo would openly stare back.

They never talked to one another though, even when they were on camera together. But once, it seemed like Minhyun had had enough giving one another the silent treatment, and he asked Seongwoo how he was.

“A bit sad,” Seongwoo answered. “You see, I was in love with this guy who broke my heart and I had to dump him but I’m still in love with him, and I still have to see him all the time. Not very fun!” he answered in the lighthearted, funny tone that Minhyun was all too familiar with.

Minhyun truly missed him.

It would be a lie to say that he hadn’t thought about calling Seongwoo in the past weeks since their break-up. A part of him wanted to apologize and ask if they could try again. He had grown so close and intimate with Seongwoo, and breaking up had left Minhyun feeling empty.

But every time his mind tried to convince him to make that move, he had to stop himself. It was selfish to drag Seongwoo back into this now, especially given how he could never return Seongwoo’s feelings no matter how hard he tried.

Minhyun recognized that Seongwoo didn’t want to associate with him anymore, which was understandable, but hard. Minhyun found that he was jealous of Ren, Aron, and especially Baekho for being on such good terms with him

Minhyun wished he could be on good terms with him too.

-

JR told s about his break-up with Jooeun a few weeks later. They were eating fried chicken after a long day of practice, and Aron suddenly asked him why it had been so long since he went out with his girlfriend. After being put on the spot like that, JR couldn’t lie to them.

“Actually, it’s over between me and her,” JR answered, and all four of s suddenly stopped chewing their chicken to peer at him.

“Since when?” Aron asked with narrowed eyes.

“Since a few days ago,” JR replied with a shrug, not wanting to go into any more details and make it too obvious that Minhyun’s break-up had to do with his own.

“Did she break up with you? Aron continued to interrogate him.

“We just weren’t compatible,” JR answered. “Can we not talk about this, please?” he requested.

“I think we should talk about this,” Ren interfered. “Are you okay? Why didn’t you tell anyone? What happened? Does it have to do with…” Ren turned to Minhyun without completing his sentence.

It was obviously on everyone’s minds, even if Ren didn’t say it out loud. As the members looked from JR to Minhyun, Minhyun spoke up: “I don’t know what happened between you and your girlfriend, JR, and I’m sorry about it. But I want to acknowledge the elephant in the room right now and say that it’s not the same between me and Jonghyunnie as it was before, so don’t expect anything.”

For JR, the words felt like a rejection even though there was nothing for Minhyun to reject. In one instant, the hope that JR had for them to have another go at their romance faded; JR got the hint. Minhyun was not interested, and it was stupid for him to assume that he was.

“But …” Ren seemed prepared to fight back.

“Ren, it’s okay,” JR cut him off. He then turned to Minhyun and said: “I understand, Minhyun. Thank you for making that clear. Now quickly finish eating so we can get back to practice,” he added.

He was obviously trying to change the subject. No matter how much JR tried to hide how he was feeling, everyone in the room knew that Minhyun’s rejection had hurt him.

“I think you two need a minute alone,” Aron professed. “Ren, Baekho, let’s head out for a bit.”

“There’s no need for that…” JR tried to stop them, but they wouldn’t have it. Without protest, the three members stood up and headed for the door, ignoring JR’s pleas for them come back and finish practice.

When they really did leave and JR prepared himself to go after them, Minhyun stopped him. “Can we actually talk?” Minhyun requested softly. “Please?”

Despite its simplicity, that was a loaded question with no easy answer. Since Minhyun broke up with his boyfriend, JR and Minhyun had for some reason still stuck with their agreement to keep a reasonable distance from one another. Perhaps it was just easier for them to do that because that was what they had become used to, and perhaps Minhyun still wanted JR to get over him. Whatever it was, it erected a wall between them that both of them have become accustomed to, a wall that would be shaken if they “talked” the way Minhyun seemed to want to talk to him right now.

But JR obliged and sat back on the practice room floor to give Minhyun his attention. It didn’t look like they would be practicing any time soon anyways. He might as well receive an official rejection from Minhyun and get it over with so he could just lose hope.

“I’m sorry if what I said upset you,” Minhyun began. “I just want to clarify why I said it...”

“You don’t owe me an explanation, Minhyun,” JR replied before Minhyun could say anything else. “I know why you said it. You don’t feel the same way as before; I get it. Things are very different now, and it was stupid for me to ever expect that we could just get back together after everything that happened.”

“No, JR, it’s not about what I feel about you at all. I’m just not in the right place for another relationship, because I always end up hurting the people who love me, and I just don’t want to do it anymore–” Minhyun sighed and ran his fingers through his hair.

No matter how much Minhyun changed since coming back from Wanna One, these little habits of his stayed the same: Minhyun ran his hand through his hair like that when he was frustrated, confused, and embarrassed.

But although Minhyun’s actions and habits remained the same, JR felt like he no longer understood Minhyun like before. From knowing exactly what was on Minhyun’s mind in any given time two years ago, to having trouble communicating the simplest things; so much had changed.

JR had just assumed Minhyun was simply sad about breaking up with Seongwoo, but considering what Minhyun had just revealed, there was a lot more to it that JR didn’t understand or know about.

As JR came to the realization that so much had changed, he was overcome with a sense of bitter loss and longing for the past when he and Minhyun was always on the same wavelength. Being apart for so long had been a great blow on the connection they had before.

Small wonder Minhyun didn’t want them to try again.

JR tried to understand though. He tried to hear from Minhyun and see what it was that was driving him away. Minhyun did not hold back anything, and he explained to JR with detail about what he was feeling and why he didn’t want another relationship.

JR learned that, since his break-up, Minhyun was reveling in self-hatred for how he had hurt the person who gave him too much of his time and energy. This was making him feel like he had no right to any kind of happiness with another person.

It was their first wholesome conversation since that night when JR confessed again and they decided to stay away from one another. It was a conversation where Minhyun really laid himself bare and revealed very profound insecurities. At that, JR switched from feeling like a rejected loser, to feeling like a leader and a friend who had to give Minhyun a confidence boost.

“You shouldn’t let regret get in the way of your future happiness, Minhyun,” JR said.

“It just feels wrong,” Minhyun hummed softly, lifting his gaze onto JR. “It feels wicked to move on so quickly, you know?”

“And you don’t have to move on quickly,” JR replied. “The right person will wait for you, however long you need.”

“Don’t wait for me anymore, Jonghyunnie,” Minhyun replied. “You’ve been waiting for far too long.”

“This is not about me, Minhyun,” JR said. “Our relationship aside, you have to stop doubting yourself and your character, and stop saying that you don’t deserve good things. If you think like that, you’ll be miserable for a very long time; trust me, I would know.”

Minhyun listened to JR’s words with intent and admiration. He really needed to hear that.

“You always know the right things to say, JRie,” Minhyun told him. “Thank you.”

-

Baekho, Ren and Aron were all just outside the door, listening in eagerly on the conversation.

Baekho especially felt very frustrated with this situation. It was like fate was trying to find an excuse to keep the two destined lovers from becoming lovers, and Baekho hated it. Why did Minhyun have to develop this insecurity now. He’s been a big-headed idiot (literally and figuratively) for as long as Baekho knew him, but suddenly, this break-up made him doubt himself and therefore put an end to any potential closure. It was frustrating to say the least.

He suddenly came up with this wild plan to maybe influence Minhyun into opening up his heart a little? Or at least to consider the possibility of doing so? There was one person who had the power to do that.

After practice, Baekho texted Seongwoo: “You know you made minhyun very insecure.”

“Who’s that? I don’t know a minhyoon,” he joked. Typical Seongwoo.

“Very funny.”

But for real… what’s wrong with Minhyun???” Seongwoo replied, and even though it was just a text message, Baekho sensed that Seongwoo was genuinely very worried.

He thinks he doesn’t deserve love or something like that. Doesn’t wanna get back with JR,” Baekho told him.

How does that even make sense to his dumb, big head?”

“Can YOU talk to him?”

“Me? And tell him what???”

“That he should just go after his heart and stop overthinking and get back together with jr”

“lol. NO.”

“Why nottttt???” Baekho added a pouting emoji for good measure.

Umm… because he’s my ex? And I still kinda have feelings for him? Because who would want to encourage their ex to date again?”

“Because it would make said ex happy. You still care about him, right? He’s been really down since the break-up, and I just think getting validation from you will give him the confidence boost he needs…”

“No. Sorry. I don’t owe him anything. I won’t sacrifice myself for him anymore.”

“Fair point,” Baekho replied. “If not for Minhyun, do it for Jonghyun. Everyone likes Jonghyun. You have to admit the guy also suffered a lot…”

“Are you kidding? He kissed Minhyun when I was still dating him, and I still haven’t forgiven him for it. Sorry.”

“Fine. Then do it for me?” Baekho tried. “There’s nothing I want more than to see my friends happy and close again, and if you do this for me, I will be forever and ever grateful to you J

It took a moment for Seongwoo to respond to that one unlike the previous ones. And when he did, Baekho was pleased.

ONLY for you.”

-

Seongwoo sighed. It was hard enough to just talk to Minhyun let alone encourage him to pursue another lover. As he picked up his phone and was ready to dial Minhyun’s number, he half-wished he hadn’t fallen for Baekho’s woos and stood his ground. But whatever. If it was that important to him.

Minhyun answered almost immediately after Seongwoo dialed the number. “Seongwoo??” He sounded surprised, but pleased.

“Hey bighead,” Seongwoo muttered. “Heard you’ve been causing trouble.”

What?

“Dude, why are you still single? You’re in love with a guy who loves you back. What the hell are you doing building barriers for yourself?”

Did Baekho tell you? I’m going to kill him.”

“Doesn’t matter who told me. The point is you’re being ridiculous and stupid right now. As soon as you hang up this phone call, I want you to go up to Jonghyun and tell him that you love him and kiss and do all that fun stuff, capiche?”

Seongwoo…”

“I know you can’t stop thinking about me. I’m fabulous after all,” he joked, “but seriously, if me and you didn’t work out, the least you can do is have the decency to go for the second-best thing. If you don’t date Jonghyun, I will, so go get him before I seduce him with my many charms.”

Minhyun laughed from the other end of the line, and Seongwoo realized how much he missed making Minhyun laugh.

Thank you for calling me, Seongwoo. And I really appreciate what you’re doing, but…”

“No buts. The time for butts has passed, and we are now nothing but platonic friends!”

Minhyun laughed again, and this time the laughter lasted longer, making Seongwoo smile even wider. Whenever Minhyun had laughed at Seongwoo’s jokes back when they were dating, he used to take that as a sign of hope for them, because if Minhyun laughed, it meant he was enjoying himself, and if he was enjoying himself, that meant there was a chance that maybe that enjoyment of being with Seongwoo would translate into loving him.

It never turned out that way, and hearing Minhyun laugh again was a bitter reminder of that.

Are you doing well?” Minhyun asked after his laughter died down.

“Oh I’m doing wonderfully,” Seongwoo lied. “Found a new guy I’m sort of into. Sadly, he’s straight, but I’m going to test the waters just a little bit with him. Which reminds me… what kind of food does Dongho like???” It was meant to be a joke, but it appeared like Minhyun didn’t get that.

What? You like Baekho?”

“Yeah… you have a problem with it?” Seongwoo asked, playing along just to see how Minhyun would react to this. A part of him kind of hoped that Minhyun would be jealous and get angry.

Really?” Minhyun asked incredulously.

“Yes? And what about it?” Seongwoo pushed.

I’m just surprised,” Minhyun answered.

“I move on quick,” Seongwoo replied; it was a lie of course, because Seongwoo was certainly not over the stupid bighead.

Dongho likes frozen yogurt and hot dogs,” Minhyun answered finally, sounding strangely appeased considering what they were talking about.

Well, there goes the hope that Minhyun would sound jealous. At this point, Seongwoo considered telling Minhyun that it was a joke, but held back when he realized that this “joke” may have actually influenced Minhyun into feeling like it was okay for him to also move on.

“I’ll make a note of that. Thanks,” Seongwoo responded, deciding to let Minhyun believe it was true.

Seongwoo hung up the line shortly after. It was very difficult to encourage the ex-boyfriend he still loved to pursue another love interest, but he was glad that he did it. He wished Minhyun well. Even if the guy hurt him and played with his heart. He wanted Minhyun to be happy, and he hoped that the phone call helped.

He texted Dongho and told him that the job was done.

Oh and by the way,” he added. “I accidentally made Minhyun believe that I’m interested in you romantically and now he thinks I’m going to take you out for frozen yogurt and hot dogs. I didn’t tell him the truth, because it felt like Minhyun wanted to believe it.”

As long as he gets back together with Jonghyun, I don’t care what he believes,” was Dongho’s response.

Great. Then I’ll pick you up tomorrow at 7?” Seongwoo tried.

????”

Come on!! We have to keep up the act, don’t we? And if it makes your hetero feel better: it’s a ‘no homo’ kind of date. Plus, you owe me.”

In that case, fine. See you tomorrow at 7.”