♥ Twenty-Three

Waiting

When Baekho woke up that morning and saw the person in his arms, he yelled, pushed and struggled to get out of the bed. He ended up falling on his and hitting his head on the bedside counter.

Seongwoo groaned sleepily from under the covers. “What the , dude?”

Baekho rubbed where he had hit his head and stood up, “why were you so close to me?!” he scolded.

“Me?” Seongwoo mumbled. “You’re the one who pulled me close.”

Baekho scoffed, but he knew that Seongwoo was probably right. Baekho did have a tendency to hug anyone who slept beside him (or anything for that matter. Poor Lucky). It was a bad habit, because it led to icky scenarios such as this, in which he hugged a whole jerk named Ong Seongwoo, i.e. someone who had once threatened to ruin his career. Baekho would never let that one go.

“You should have pushed me away,” Baekho responded, not willing to accept the blame.

“I didn’t have the energy,” Seongwoo mumbled tiredly, sounding quite dispirited.

Apart from that cringeworthily awakening, Baekho really did have a fantastic sleep last night. The mattress was comfortable and the pillows were so fluffy and smelled like lavender. Everything was nice and clean and warm and pleasant. It had been too long since Baekho slept in such a fancy hotel.

The previous night had been crazy: Baekho was somehow stuck with a very drunk Seongwoo and had to bear the responsibility of taking him home, because Seongwoo insisted that he did not want anyone else seeing him cry. In hindsight, it was silly to insist this. Seongwoo could have easily just blamed the tears on the alcohol and no one would have given two s about it.

When Baekho had asked for Seongwoo’s address so he could take him home, Seongwoo just gave him the card to the hotel room he had already paid for, meant for him and Minhyun.

And so Baekho got a cab, went to that hotel, helped him to his room, in which Seongwoo just collapsed onto the bed. When Baekho was done with the deed, he looked around and noted that hotel room was very nice. It was clean and spacious and comfortable, and it smelled leagues nicer than what Bumzu’s apartment smelled like.

Also, Baekho was very sleepy– it had been like 3AM at that point; Jonghyun had iled them from the dorm; Bumzu’s home was another expensive taxi ride away and would need another half hour to get there; and Baekho was simply too drained to wait for a place to sleep.

Please, ot would have been a waste if two people did not sleep in an expensive room meant for two anyways, he had reasoned. And so, without further ado, Baekho had made himself comfortable on the other side of the hotel’s King-size bed.

As Baekho went to the bathroom to wash up, Seongwoo tossed and turned in the bedsheet from his hangover headache, groaning loudly. When he finally gathered the energy to get up, he checked his phone and found a message from Minhyun: Seongwoo, I really need to talk to you. Can we meet tomorrow please?

Seongwoo read that and felt his heart sink. Minhyun was going to break up with him, and he knew it.

Still, even though all the signs of an impending breakup were there, a part of him was still in denial. No, Minhyun wasn’t going to break up. Not after everything they’ve been through. Maybe Minhyun wanted to talk about something else? He won’t break up. He wouldn’t...

Baekho came back from the bathroom as Seongwoo was staring at that text message from Minhyun.

“I’m going to go back to the dorm now,” Baekho announced as he began to put on his socks.

“Wait,” Seongwoo turned to him, “I know you’ve done enough for me last night, but can I ask for another favor, please?”

“What?”

“Can you ask Minhyun if he’s going to break up with me?”

“I don’t want to get invol–”

“Please?” Seongwoo cut him off, pulling his pitiful facial expression again. Baekho didn’t know why it had any effect on him at all, but he complied and took out his phone to do what Seongwoo requested.

Are you breaking up with Seongwoo?

Shortly after, Minhyun replied with: I will today.

Baekho read the message and lifted his head to catch Seongwoo’s gaze, who looked eager to hear the final verdict from him.

Stupid Minhyun, Baekho thought, feeling burdened. Suddenly, he had to be the bearer of bad news and break the guy’s heart, when it was Minhyun’s responsibility. He didn’t want to be the one to disclose the bitter truth. He didn’t want to be the one to hurt him.

Baekho then reminded himself that he hated the guy.

“Sorry dude,” Baekho finally mustered the heart to tell him. “But yeah, Minhyun’s planning to break up with you today.”

Seongwoo sighed in bitter acceptance and closed his eyes. He looked like he was hurt and holding a lot inside him. If Baekho weren’t there, he would have probably burst into tears.

“Thank you. You can leave now,” Seongwoo managed to say under her breath, pointing towards the door with his chin.

“Can I put on my other sock first?” Baekho asked jokingly.

Seongwoo didn’t answer, and Baekho guessed he was too busy trying to keep his feelings in check.

“If you want to cry, then cry,” Baekho told him. “You already ruined your image in front of me yesterday,” he added flippantly with a laugh. He didn’t intend for it to be a mean laugh, but worried that was how it came out.

“I’m not gonna cry a single tear for that ,” Seongwoo muttered, but Baekho could hear his voice start to crack.

“Here’s some advice for you: dump him before he dumps you. It would be easier for you to confront him like that, because it looks like the thought of him unsettles you now.”

Seongwoo lifted his head; he looked surprised to hear Baekho give him well-meaning advice. “Thanks,” he said sincerely. “I’ll do that.”

At this point, Baekho was done putting on his socks and was now wearing his shoes.

“Also, thank you for helping last night,” Seongwoo added. “And I know I have no right to ask for any more favors, but please don’t tell Minhyun that I booked a hotel for him and was crying like a baby when he left last night. I’d like to end things with at least an ounce dignity.”

“Sure, as long as you don’t tell him you were my human teddy bear for the night,” Baekho joked, making Seongwoo smile a little despite his heavy heart.

Just as Baekho was standing up and heading for the door, his phone started ringing. It was Daniel.

Baekho answered him. “Hi Daniel.”

DONGHO, WHERE ARE YOU RIGHT NOW?” Daniel nearly yelled. It was so loud that Baekho had to pull the phone away from his ear.

“A hotel­–”

“–SO IT IS TRUE!” Baekho winced again at the loudness.

“God, lower your voice,” Baekho scolded. “I can hear you fine.”

YOU SPENT THE NIGHT WITH SEONGWOO?”

“Yes, but­–”

WHAT THE HELL? I DON’T CARE IF YOU TWO WERE DRUNK, BUT YOU KNOW HOW I FEEL ABOUT HIM! DID YOU NOT THINK OF ME OR MINHYUN AT ALL?!”

“Oh Daniel, for crying out loud, he can hear you!” Baekho replied. He turned to Seongwoo who was listening to the conversation with intent. He looked surprised by what Daniel had said, and he turned to Baekho as if seeking an explanation.

W…what?” Daniel’s voice went soft again, and Baekho had to put the phone back closer to his ear.

“Seongwoo’s here with me right now,” Baekho explained. “And also, I spent the night here because JR was spending the night with his girlfriend in the dorm, and I had nowhere else to sleep. Definitely not what you were thinking.”

Oh.

“Idiot,” Baekho muttered to Daniel. Seongwoo was still looking over at Baekho with curious eyes, and Baekho felt mildly uncomfortable now. Suddenly, he was in the very awkward position of having to explain Daniel’s outburst to him. It didn’t help that Daniel just hung up on him, and Baekho wasn’t sure if Daniel expected him to tell Seongwoo the truth or not.

When Baekho put the phone back in his pocket, he decided to just try his luck and see if he could just leave, but of course, Seongwoo stopped him.

“What the hell was Daniel talking about?”

“Ask him,” Baekho shrugged. “None of my business.”

“No!” Seongwoo insisted, quickly standing in front of the door to block him from going. “You’re not leaving here until you tell me–”

Seongwoo’s phone suddenly started ringing. It was on the bedside counter, and so Seongwoo couldn’t reach it from his position in front of the door. Baekho thanked the heavens for the coincidence, planning to slip out as soon as Seongwoo answered, but Seongwoo didn’t get his phone and remained stationed in front of the door.

“Tell me what you know!” Seongwoo demanded.

“Go answer your phone,” Baekho responded, to which Seongwoo just crossed his arms indicating he wasn’t going to move willingly.

Baekho then heard his phone vibrate from new messages, and her decided to just check those messages until Seongwoo decides to move out of the way. But just as he was taking his phone out of his pocket, it also started ringing.

It was Jonghyun.

Baekho, where are you?!” JR nearly yelled when Baekho picked up. That startled Baekho a bit, because JR did not yell very often.

“A hotel,” Baekho answered, “what’s wrong? I thought there was no schedule today…”

Are you with Seongwoo?” JR asked more calmly, but Baekho sensed the trepidation in his voice.

“I am,” Baekho answered. “Wait… how did you know?”

You’re on the tabloids now. A journalist just released pictures of you and Seongwoo going into a love suite together.”

 


A/N: I’m sorry the much-awaited break-up didn’t happen and im sorry there was zero 2hyun here but I will make it up and update relatively sooner!