12 - All for 5K Kiaos!

Fairies and Dragons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was the Monday morning after the weekend. Yuna and her friends, with the noticeable absence of Seokmin, are chatting on their seats. Seokmin has to prepare for the programme. It’s the start of the Dragon week, that one week where everything is dragon-y and everyone felt it, too. The interiors of the school had dragon-like decorations, and the field has a big stage that’s also decorated with dragons. Around the stage are food stalls – although Yuna doesn’t know what are sold down there. She’s seen Sojung with Wheein today, which probably means that Dongho is too busy to the point that he didn’t meet with his girlfriend. Luda is also running late today. She heard that her Fairy mother is in town, so she had to meet her at the bus terminal. So it’s just her, Mingyu, Yugyeom and Dawon in their pack today. They were talking about the typical things. Homeworks, weird gossips, food and what they did in the weekend. Mingyu attended a handicraft seminar in a nearby human town below the waterfalls, Yugyeom brawled with a walker, and Dawon attended a career expo during the weekend. Yuna had her weekend pretty good. Her father came home, so they went to the mall together. Her two siblings were mini-pains though, since they ran off everywhere.

The reason why her father came home was quite obvious, though. This week, the full moon is going to take place. Her father, Samuel, is the Governor of Knowledge. He’s the leader of the Knowledge Fairies in the entire region. In his case, the entire region of Albay. He oversees fairies from Busay, Mayon, Tabaco and Legazpi, so he has to be in the capital all the time. Their region’s capital is in Legazpi, one of the biggest Unnatural Cities. She somehow wants to be like her father, but in the Love league. She likes dealing with love, although she doesn’t know how to, exactly.

“Oh, did you hear?” Mingyu began. “I heard this when I was doing some archiving with Luda yesterday.”

Yuna raised a brow. “Who is it about?”

“Yeo Hwanwoong, do you guys know that kid?” Mingyu asked. “I overheard from a younger kid that he packed with The Trio.”

Yuna, curious, asked. “The Trio? Who are they?”

“They’re like, the strongest fourth year kids. They’re childhood friends. They’re composed of Jung Chanwoo, a Draconian, Hwang Eunbi, a Strigoi and Moon Bin, a werewolf, like me and Yugyeom.” Mingyu explained. “And the thing is, everyone who makes a pack with The Trio would always prevail in the pack games.”

Alright, this got Yuna confused. “What now? Pack games?”

Mingyu sighed. “Alright, listen closely. Every time there’s a week like this, Dragon Week, Fairy Week, whoever’s week, there’s always a Pack Games by Saturday. It’s a class battle. One pack from a class would represent and play in these games. It’s usually a tactical game with numerous obstacles. It changes every year, and it’s made to fit the theme.”

“And this Trio, they always win it?”

Mingyu shook his head. “Not Win as in Win like champion. They’re never out of the top 5 classes.”

Yuna nodded in understanding. “Hwanwoong is in my potions class and he’s good.”

“Not to mention that they packed up with their packmates last year, Juyeon, the half angel-mermaid hybrid and that kitsune, Jang Yeeun.” Dawon sighed. “Looks like whoever’s up with them is gonna have to train hard.

“Speaking of training.” Luda suddenly entered the conversation. Sneaky, but smart. “I got us a job.”

Yuna raised a brow. “What job?”

“We’re going to be watching over the packs during the training period and during the matches.”

Dawon asked, “Watch over?”

“We all know that the full moon is happening this Saturday.” Luda began. Yuna noticed that Luda put down the paper for them to see. “And to make sure that no one gets hurt, Dongho-ssi asked us to oversee the etire process. Look at the chart.” She passed them copies of a heirarchy chart -- or in this case, the chart that tells who’s battling who. “The preliminary games will start on Friday morning. The packs have been individually training for a week now, and they will continue training until Thursday, but this time, we’re coming there to oversee them and record their statistics.” This time, Luda herself raised a brow. “For probability purposes? I don’t get them.” She took the paper back and explained some more. “Well, they ranked this as A-class and we’ll be getting 5 thousand kiao each once we finish this task—“

Well that bought almost everyone in their pack. “No kidding?” Even Yuna, who doesn’t care about money all the time, asked. “As in, 5K?!”

“Yep, we just observe and make sure no one goes loco for the rest of the week.” She  nonchalantly concluded. “Seokmin will be there to meet us.”

“I have a question, though?” Yuna caught everyone’s attention. “Who’s playing for our class?”

“Yoo Taeyang’s pack.” Yugyeom answered simply. “His group is strong, so there’s nothing we can do about it.”

Yuna looked around, looking for the same classmate, but she concluded that he may be out for practice now. “So where are they?”

“They’re training in the assembly hall. Let’s go, Seokmin will teach us to do our job.” Luda led the pack out, and this is a signal that their second job just began.

 

When they got to the assembly hall, everything seems to be a whole mess. Well, not super-mess, but an organized mess. There are barriers that serve as the workplaces (or training areas) per pack, but nobody seems to have started training yet. Some of them are familiar to Yuna. Seungcheol is playing, so are the Kim cousins, but on different packs. She saw most of the fairies, too. Seems like all of them are playing – only on different sides. And one of the things that fascinated her is the strings. This is the first time she’s seen powerful strings. Strings that are strongly connected – most likely because there are seniors present. The graduating seniors, well, Yuna can feel their strong aura. According to the rules, the graduating seniors, since they can graduate in either Year 12 or Year 11, depending on their majors, can only form two packs to join the battles. This goes the same for the juniors, those who are in Year 10 and 9. The rest, though, have to make four packs per year level, since there are four classes per level.

As Yuna was looking at the strings, one pair caught her attention. From the Juniors’ side was Byullie-unnie. The unnie who cured Seokmin. Maybe because she was so pre-occupied about her partner, she didn’t notice the strzyga’s strings. And her red string is a string binded by a wedding ring with one of her pack-mates. The man’s the basketball player. Shook, Yuna nudged Luda. “Luda, is Byullie-unnie married?”

Luda nodded. “I’m surprised you only asked now.” Yuna gave out a peace sign. “Just because you got your first heart doesn’t mean that you would be slacking, Yuna.”

“I know, I know.”

“Byullie-unnie is indeed, married. She has a kid, too.”

Yuna raised a brow. “Are we allowed to have kids in High School?”

“Kids from Year 1 to Year 8 aren’t allowed to have kids, but they are. Unnatural schools are mixtures of collegiate and high school levels. We spend Year 1 to Year 7 as ‘high schoolers’ and then we spend our 8th-12th years taking up majors. Humans call it college, but the school does that so we can still operate in the human world. By the time that we’re in 8th year, we’re already 23 years old, and we can get married on that age.” Luda explained to Yuna easily, that the other fairy seems to have gotten it easily. Luda rolled

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter