Chapter 9

From Afar

NEXT MORNING

Nayoung woke up the next morning to the sound of her alarm blasting throughout her room. Pulling herself up, she turned to her right only to find the bed empty. Its weird. Because firstly, Nayoung is almost never awakened by her alarm because a small loud girl is always the one shaking her awake so the two will not be late for school. Second, when she called for Kyulkyung, she realised the shorter girl is already out of the dorm and she was all alone. Ever since the day they got together, there was not a single day that Kyulkyung would go to school without Nayoung. Lastly, knowing Kyulkyung, when she felt bad for doing something (like last night), she would be sure to make it up to Nayoung the next morning. But today, it was weird, it was off. Kyulkyung was not there. Kyul-ah, what exactly are you doing, this is not you, why would you do this to me...why...Honestly, there weren't many thoughts in Nayoung's mind, she had only one question and that was "Why". She pulled herself lazily out of her bed having not have a good sleep. Picking up her phone, she realised there wasnt a single message nor missed call from Kyulkyung. 

Moving around like a sloth, Nayoung just went about her usual prepping for school routine, washing up, choosing her clothes and heading out. Except today, there wasn't anyone she was waiting for at the door, there is missing a hand she used to hold to school everyday and a warmth that was missing in her heart which could only be filled by a certain girl's smile. Nayoung decided to head to school to look for Kyulkyung, she needed an answer, she has to know why. With a heavy heart, Nayoung walked to school and for the first time ever the 10 mins walk felt like an hour without her special someone walking beside her.

EARLIER THAT MORNING

Truth to be told, Kyulkyung did not sleep the entire night. After realising that Nayoung had fallen asleep she had turned herself to face Nayoung's back, just so she could stare at it. She hoped that by staring at Nayoung's back for a longer period of time, she would get used to only be seeing Nayoung's back very soon. Staring at Nayoung's back, she started to plan out what she was going to do to hurt Nayoung furthermore that day. I deserve to just stare at your back just for what I did tonight. But I am not going to stop here, I have already taken a huge first step and I dont intend on giving up so easily. I love you, let me just say it in my heart, and let me just keep it there.

Kyulkyung got out of bed the moment she realised that the sun was up. The next step of her plan swung into action, to leave before Nayoung, to go to school without her and to act as if nothing happened last night and that she is not sorry at all for hurting Nayoung. Getting up and changing, she moves towards Nayoung and gives her a soft peck on her forehead. Kyulkyung stares at Nayoung taking in the heartbroken look on her face as she sleeps and the tear stains from her sobbing the night before, but Kyulkyung keeps her tears in, no crying will make me weak, I will not cry, no, I cannot soften not now. At that moment, Kyulkyung turns to exit the dorm before heading to school.

It was honestly still rather early so it was a rather quiet walk to school for Kyulkyung as she tried to get used to the seemingly long and lonely path that she was trudging on. She chooses not to think about how Nayoung would feel as she too walked on this same path alone later. She kicked that thought out of her head because she knew that would only make her soften. 

As she walked though all of a sudden, it was as if an arrow was shot through her head. Ahhhh, not again, not now, not here, someone will see me, ahhh, stop, please, stop... The headache came without a warning and Kyulkyung was clutching her head with both her hands as she staggered somehow to the main road and just then luckily a cab came and she flagged it down. "Are you okay Ms" the driver asked noticing his latest passenger was seemingly in extreme pain as she buried her head in her knees and tried to massage her head with her two hands. "Im-I'm fine, /pants/ drive me, drive me to the nearby hospital please". "Okay". The driver started his engine as Kyulkyung continued to hold her head with her two hands. I need to get out of school, no one can see me.

Reaching the hospital, the driver did not ask for payment and was nice enough to get inside the hospital to ask for a nurse to attend to Kyulkyung. Kyulkyung could feel the hospital walls spinning around her and her headache getting worse, it was as if multiple arrows were shot at her head at once. Kyulkyung was wheeled into the Emergency Room. "I will get a doctor and call your relatives.", the nurse said as she was about to leave. Using all the strength she had, Kyulkyung grabbed the sleeve of the nurse, "Get-get Dr Kim Do Yeon, and-and dont call any-anyone else". The nurse nodded and left the room as Kyulkyung lied on the bed. She turned to her right, curling her legs up as she massaged her head and cries out in her head for the pain to stop. Ugh stop, stop please just stop, ugh, this pain is killing me. 

Dr Kim gets news that her patient was admitted and immediately rushes to the ER. Opening the curtains she sees Kyulkyung curled up in a fetal position and in cold sweat trying to handle the pain. She moves towards Kyulkyung and taps her shoulder. Seeing Dr Kim, Kyulkyung says, "Dr Kim, dont tell any-anyone I am here-here please". Dr Kim nods before instructing the nurses to inject some strong painkillers and allow Kyulkyung to just rest in the ER, telling the nurses that should any other complications occur for them to call her down immediately.

As the painkillers entered her blood, Kyulkyung could feel herself getting drowsy and falling asleep with the pain leaving her. 

AT SCHOOL

The first thing Nayoung does when she reaches school is to head for Kyulkyung's class. She was already late for her own classes but she decided to just check up on Kyulkyung and just skip her first lesson. Minkyung had already given her several missed calls and so she just texted her telling her that she will be missing the first lesson and she will explain later. Quietly approaching the lecture theatre where Kyulkyung's first lesson was for the day, she peeped into the class only to see a sleeping Yaebin, a frowning Eunwoo and the seat beside Eunwoo empty. She did not come to school...then where could she be. The first thing Nayoung did was to text Eunwoo, not wanting to sound weird or to hint that something was wrong she just asked "Hey Nunu, is Kyulkyung with you". Standing outside the lecture theatre, she waited for a reply. It came almost instantly, seems like Eunwoo was on her phone. "Nope, is she not with you? She told me she won't be in school today." 

Nayoung did not know how to reply Eunwoo. How does she tell her girlfriend's best friend (and one of her best friends too), that she had no idea where her girlfriend is right now. She had tried calling Kyulkyung all morning and it was all directed to voicemail, and all the messages she sent to Kyulkyung were not even read. Kyul, where are you exactly. Seeing that Kyulkyung had bothered to text Eunwoo instead of her honestly was heartbreaking. She could not understand why Kyulkyung was doing this to her. Her phone buzzed and it was Minkyung reminding her of where their next lesson was at. Hoping for a break and a distraction from her thoughts, Nayoung decided to just head for her lesson and ask Minkyung for help later. Because Minkyung was always there for her through thick and thin and that girl gave the best advice.

I really have no idea why you are doing this Kyulkyung but I choose to believe that you still love me like I do. I know you love me so can you give me an answer to my questions soon Kyul, please wherever you maybe now, be safe please. I love you baby, come back to me soon will you...