Chapter 18

From Afar

As she ended the phone call, Kyulkyung's hands fell to her side as her phone slipped out of her hands and onto the floor before it died. Just minutes before, Kyulkyung had witnessed a scene that only broke her bruised heart, wrecking it into a million pieces and made it unfixable. Looking up slightly, she smiled. Thank you Nayoung for everything you have done for me. Stay happy with Minky please, please be happy always. I will just watch you from above. Its time, time to go through with what I came back to do. I guess this is it Nayoung. Forgive me please for being such a coward. I am afraid that if I see you I will hesitate. So goodbye Nayoung. I love you. I always have and I always will. I love you.

Now, facing the road infront of her, Kyulkyung took a deep breath and plastered a smile on a face as she walked into the street where cars zoomed by extremely quickly. People were screaming at her to get back. There was a honking, screaming and thunder. Kyulkyung couldn't hear any of that as she shut her ears to only focus on the sound of the rain pelting down on the road. And all of sudden, she felt immense pain as she flew high up into the sky.

BEFORE THAT

Nayoung and Minkyung decided to rush back to their dorms seeing that it was about to rain. As they were reaching the entrance of the dorm, they saw Eunwoo standing seemingly in a daze at the dorm entrance. "Yah, Jung Eunwoo, what-?" Minkyung called out but was quickly cut by Eunwoo, "Kyul, Kyul she is back, she left me a letter and she just called me and she said Goodbye, we need to find her, we need to-" "Eunwoo, breathe." Minkyung says as she grabs hold of Eunwoo by the shoulders and shakes her a little. Eunwoo lets out a sigh. "Ok, lets split up to look for her Nar-, where is she?"

Upon hearing Eunwoo's words, Nayoung had dashed off. Kyul is back, where is she? If she left Eunwoo this letter, she must not be far. Kyul I am coming, wait for me. Tears were streaming down Nayoung's face as she ran aimlessly in the rain trying to think of where the girl she loved dearly would be at.

"Aish, Nayoung. Ok wait Eunwoo tell me what did Kyul say on the phone and what did you hear in the background. Calm down and think properly Eunwoo, anything could point us to where Kyul is." Minkyung said rather matter-of-factly. Seeing how calm she is, one may think that Minkyung's heart is made of stone but it isn't. She is worried as hell too but she knows she needs to stay calm not only for Kyulkyung but for Nayoung and Eunwoo too. Narong, please don't be rash and be safe. And Kyul-ah, we are coming, please be safe.

"She said to ask Nayoung and you to last long and told you not to break Nayoung's heart like she did. I also heard some honking noises in the background." Hearing Eunwoo's reply, Minkyung's heart slightly dropped, Kyul must have seen Nayoung and me.... "Honks...she must be at some road, if she saw Nayoung and me she must have been at the park, let's go to the main road there now." As she finished, Minkyung and Eunwoo both sprinted in that direction.

Kyul where exactly are you please be fine please. Nayoung ran and ran aimlessly in the rain as she sent prayers after prayers for Kyulkyung's safety to any deity above. She had no idea where to run, she just let her guide her, let herself believe that her love for Kyulkyung will lead her to the girl. 

As she nears the main road near the park, she hears screaming and honking and as she rushes to direction where they were coming from. No, it can't be true no it can't be her, stay calm Nayoung. She repeats in her head. She knew though, she had an inkling it was her, her Kyulkyung. But Nayoung was just being human, forcefully rejecting the thoughts she wished werent true. As she headed towards that direction, her pace slowed and the world around her seem to have slowed down a little as she saw the truck smash into Kyulkyung who was seemingly in a trance. She stood and watched as the love of her life flew 10 feet into the air and landed a good 100m away from the truck which had only just halted. She stood and watched as people started to approach the body of the girl cautiously. 

And then she ran, she ran like she had never ran before. She ran towards the crowd surrounding Kyulkyung, pushing people aside before picking the girl up in her hands. Her tears mixed with the rain that was pelting endlessly on her. She could not speak as she just stared, stared at Kyulkyung's shaking hand that was trying to hold her face. She grabs hold of that shaking cold, only to realise how cold it was that it sent shivers down her spine. She watched as Kyulkyung struggled to speak, "Na-Narong, I-I-I lo-ve y-y-you, I-I-'m sor-", only to choke on the blood in before she loses consciousness. 

As she held the lifeless body of Kyulkyung in her arms did she finally let out ugly and loud sobs, did she only scream her name. "Kyul, Kyul, Yah Joo Kyulkyung, you aren't leaving me, yah Joo Kyulkyung!!!!!" She cried endlessly as she hugged the bloody body of the girl she loved dearly. 

Minkyung and Eunwoo had seen the crowd from far, they approached cautiously only to hear their good friend screaming and sobbing. They both ran and pushed everyone aside only to be greeted by a wailing Nayoung with Kyulkyung in her arms, filled with blood. Kyul, no, no, no, this isn't real, its a lie. Eunwoo stared at disbelief before turning away and tried to walk away because there was no way that was her best friend and the person she loved, no it could not be true. Eunwoo wanted to run, she wanted to hide, no, she does not want to face this truth, because it can't be true. She did not get far though before Minkyung grabbed her arm, spun her around and engulfed her in a hug. There and then, Eunwoo broke down in Minkyung's arms as Minkyung held her tighter as she herself fought the tears which were streaming down her cheeks.