Chapter 13

From Afar

THAT NIGHT IN EUNWOO AND MINKYUNG'S DORM

Eunwoo was not in the mood for classes the entire day but Yaebin dragged her through every single one of them anyways, and honestly she was rather thankful for her small friend. Maybe its was the look in Yaebin's eyes, but she knew that her small friend had an inkling of her feelings for Kyulkyung and how worried she would be for the girl. So Yaebin dragged Eunwoo to class, to dinner and to a late night shopping trip just to distract Eunwoo from her worrying about Kyulkyung like she always did.

Minkyung had texted her earlier that she would be staying over at Nayoung's dorm today to keep her company. Entering her dorm room, she dragged herself over to her table to place her school materials there only to be greeted by an enveloped that had "To my dearest Nunu" written on it in Kyulkyung's handwriting. Picking it up, Eunwoo opened the envelope not knowing what to expect at all. The letter read:

To my best pal, Jung Eunwoo,

Hey Nunu, I know that you must be thinking why I wrote a letter right. And I know you have many questions in your head right now and I know too that you must have been worried the entire day because of me. I am a really bad friend I guess, I only received from you and I never gave you much. You have always been there for me through everything yet I often neglect you for Nayoung. I am sorry for that. The many questions you have in your head Nunu, I am sorry but I can't answer them now. I promise though, that one day you will know the answer and I hope that you will somehow find it in you to understand my actions now. I know you will understand, you always do.

By the time you are reading this, I am already on my way to Germany or have already reached there. Dont come looking for me and dont ask about me. I have always been a bad friend to you and I was always selfish. Let me be selfish one last time will you Nunu? Dont tell anyone, anyone that I told you where I have gone to, especially not Nayoung. And if you can, help me to just watch over her? Make sure she eats her meals and gets the rest she needs and help me to stop her from overthinking too much all the time. Most importantly, help her get over me will you? Lastly Nunu, dont ever change your phone number will you? Not until I see you again.

I am sorry for being such a selfish person, but I guess that is just how I am. Dont cry ok, I hate it when you cry. I love you my friend and I will miss you but try not to miss me too much, it is not worth it. Take care of yourself and live your life well even if I am not there beside you. Remove all the why, where and whats in your head, I promise once again that you will know one day. 

Annyeong Jung Eunwoo, my friend that I love and will love forever and always. 

From the worst best friend you could ever ask for,

Joo Kyulkyung

/drop/ A teardrop landed on the letter and as it slowly sinked into the paper, Eunwoo's trembling left hand that was holding the letter fell too her side. Clutching the paper with her right hand she placed the letter on her chest as she sobbed uncontrollably. She wanted to shout, she wanted to scream out Joo Kyulkyung, she wanted to rush to the airport to search for her friend, but Kyulkyung had told her not to come looking for her so she did not. She just continued crying. Some part of her hated Joo Kyulkyung for so easily making such difficult requests but she hates herself more, for so easily agreeing to all Kyulkyung had asked her to do. Because Kyul-ah, even if you were selfish and maybe you were, I will never be able to say no to you. I love you, I love you so much, so much that I will do all that you asked me to do. So Kyul-ah, make sure you keep your promises too, come back to me one day so I can see you again. I don't need answers, I just need you, I need my best friend. Stay safe wherever you are and the pabo idiot Jung Eunwoo will be here waiting for you for as long as it takes. Just come back, I want to see you again someday. 

That night, Eunwoo clutched the Kyulkyung's letter as she cried herself to sleep. Just for today, just for today I will cry Kyul-ah, I will stop tomorrow so just for tonight let me cry my heart out.

 

THREE MONTHS FROM THAT DAY

In these three months, you could say alot has changed. 

First, Minkyung moved in to stay with Nayoung after that night. She slept beside Nayoung and waited for the girl to fall asleep beside her every night. The first month after Kyulkyung left was torture, there was not a night that Nayoung had not cried herself to sleep beside Minkyung who just laid beside her watching the one person she loved breaking each day because of another girl. Nayoung had found out the next day at school that Kyulkyung left. That was all Eunwoo told the other 8 of them at the table during lunch. Eunwoo had lied to them as Kyulkyung requested that she did not know where she is. "Forget her, Nayoung." Everyone at the table was shocked that it came from Eunwoo's mouth. "I think she wishes for that too, if you really love her Nayoung, forget her." Eunwoo had then carried on saying with a straight face to Nayoung who was shocked and frozen at that spot. For these cold words had come from Eunwoo, her now ex-girlfriend's bestest friend in the world. 

So Nayoung tried, she really did. In the second month after Kyulkyung left, Nayoung returned to back to being who she used to be. She no longer cried herself to sleep, she attended classes regularly without Minkyung having to nag or drag her to them. She went out with the gang whenever they had gatherings and she even went out on a few casual dates with Minkyung. Minkyung, yes Minkyung, Nayoung knew that she would not have gotten through the first month if not for Minkyung who cared for her every need and did her best to help her forget Kyulkyung. Nayoung knew in her heart that she felt something for Minkyung but she knew for certain who she loved more, she still loved Kyulkyung more. She knew it was unfair for the girl, but she kept up with this somewhat ambiguous relationship between Minkyung and her. She needed it, if not she would just drown in her sorrows. So she allowed herself to be selfish, because maybe its time she loved herself more anyways.

It killed Minkyung to see Nayoung crying herself to sleep and how much Nayoung suffered in the first month after Kyulkyung left but she stayed by Nayoung's side still. Kyulkyung had asked her to look after Nayoung and she honestly she would have done it whether the girl asked her not. This was how much she come to love Nayoung over the years, she was willling to let herself break so that Nayoung could be fixed somehow. After one month, it felt like Nayoung had gotten better and has started to return some of Minkyung's feelings. For Nayoung no longer flinches when Minkyung hugs her and even hugs her back when they sleep, for Nayoung would even be the one cooking breakfast for the both of them sometimes. Even so, Minkyung knew that Nayoung still loved Kyulkyung more, so she never demanded a label to their relationship. She was just glad Nayoung was allowing her to be somewhat more than just a best friend. She accepted the ambiguity of their relationship, because now at the very least, she knew some part of Nayoung's heart, a very small part of it contained her. 

Into the third month since Kyulkyung left, Nayoung had gotten alot better. She no longer took out the box which contained the pictures that she took with Kyulkyung, the couple tee with Kyulkyung and anything that was related to Kyulkyung. The box was just left there. Nayoung had not touch it for a month and the skinship between Minkyung and her had progressed to a stage where they were comfortable giving each other a peck here and there. Their relationship still did not have a label but the two were comfortable with it, they preferred not to talk about it so that it will not be made awkward. 

The rest of the gang had come to accept the change. Kyulkyung is gone and the table they set at would always have one empty chair but everyone tried to not talk about it. It was like a taboo to mention Kyulkyung's name. All of them were affected but the one besides Nayoung who was the most affected was probably Eunwoo. Eunwoo became alot more quiet, significantly more quiet. She went to school, had lunch with the gang, goes for her cafe shift after school and goes back to her dorm after that. She stayed alone now since Minkyung moved in to stay with Nayoung. She did not mind though, the once noisy and loud Eunwoo turned into a woman of few words. It was weird for everyone but they never once prod further. Yaebin had tried once to get Eunwoo to open up and had failed terribly. 

Kyulkyung leaving left a hole in all of their lives, especially so for Nayoung and Eunwoo. Nayoung had Minkyung to help slowly fill up that hole, but Eunwoo had no one. Or rather she did not allow anyone to help fill that hole and pushes away anyone who tried. Call her stupid, she know she is anyways.

No one heard anything from Kyulkyung in these three months. Eunwoo's phone number remained unchanged and life went on for the 9 of them albeit abit differently but it still went on, it does anyways no matter what comes.