Chapter 17

From Afar

Kyulkyung was hiding at a corner outside of the cafe Eunwoo worked just looking at Eunwoo go about at her shift and reminiscing the times they all spent together in the cafe when she saw them. She quickly ran behind the nearby pillar. A little too far to make out what they were saying all she remembers seeing is their intertwined fingers and Nayoung's warm smile at Minkyung. The same fingers that used to slip so easily into her fingers on the rooftop of their orphanage, but its no longer her fingers that they fit it. Seeing the scene in front of her, Kyulkyung could not help but clutch her chest as she gulped down, trying to prevent her salty tears that gathered in her eyes from rolling down her cheeks. At least you are happy, that is all that matters to me.

All the Kyulkyung now knows is that the Kyulkyung from 3 months ago had hurt Nayoung deeply in order to force herself out of her life. It does not matter now whether I can remember or not, I hurt you and there is not turning back. I am just glad that you have Minkyung to fix you up. Stay happy with her Nayoung alright. At least I got to hear your voice, look at your face and see that warm smile of yours for the last time...the smile that used to be given to me all the time. Thank you Nayoung, for loving me and for everything you have done for me, even the 1 year of memories I can no longer remember....I love you, I always have and I always will. Bye.

She figured she should leave before they exit the cafe and she risks getting seen by them. So after seeing Nayoung and Minkyung enter the cafe, Kyulkyung quickly ran away. She ran and ran, in all honesty she has no idea where she is running to. 

Run...run...run.... That was all that Kyulkyung repeated in her head continuously like she was reciting a mantra. As she ran and ran, she found herself at the park where the 10 of them always hanged out at even during their high school days. I wonder if we came here as much in the past year that I have forgotten. 

Finally slowing down her steps, Kyulkyung starts taking a stroll around the park as she slows down her breath. She stopped for awhile and took a deep breath, letting the chilly air of the park to fill her lungs. I never know if I will ever get this fresh air again anyways. After awhile, Kyulkyung decided to take a seat at one of the benches as she let her mind wander to a world where she was not plagued by this illness and can live forever with Nayoung. Time just went by as Kyulkyung sat there enjoying the slight breeze.

ON THE OTHER HAND

After getting their drinks, Minkyung and Nayoung were at the park. Setting out their picnic mats and taking out the food Minkyung prepared, they ate and talked. From time to time, it got silent between them, but it was an awkward silence, it was comfortable silence as they each basked in it. The sun was shining behind Nayoung and the bright light landing on the side of her face made Minkyung wonder if she was looking at an angel instead.

"If you keep staring at me like that Minky, I am going to melt" They had spend awhile just looking at each other. Minkyung giggles and in the heat of the moment she leans in towards Nayoung. Noticing that Nayoung did not retreat back, Minkyung took it as an okay sign to go further. She lifts Nayoung's chin slightly as she leans in to capture Nayoung's lips in hers. 

They have pecked each other here and there on the lips over these three months but never went further. Kissing Nayoung was heaven to Minkyung. It was as if she was on drugs and was experiencing a bout of euphoria. It felt right to her as Nayoung's lips moved against her own.

Nayoung did not know why she did not retreat. Maybe she was missing the skinship, maybe she missed kissing someone. But above all the possibilities, Nayoung knew that she had kissed back in order to force Kyulkyung out of her mind. She knew she was using Minkyung, but Minkyung was her best friend, the one who fixed her up. Minkyung was a nice person and maybe just maybe by kissing her, Nayoung felt she could move on from Kyulkyung and really fall for Minkyung for real. 

OVER AT WHERE KYULKYUNG WAS

She decided that she has sat there long enough and it was time to do what she had wanted to do. As she was walking out of the park something or rather someone caught her eye. She saw Nayoung and Minkyung just sitting on a picnic mat smiling at each other. She watched as Minkyung stared intensely at Nayoung, eyes never leaving her once and Nayoung returned the eye contact. 

Seeing the two of them, Kyulkyung quickly ran to hide behind an oak tree but peeped to watch. She never expected the scene that was going to unfold in front of her as if the sight of them walking together, hands intertwined and smiling together was not enough of a heartbreak. What she saw next was going to totally shatter her heart into a thousand pieces. 

She watched as Minkyung leaned it and captured Nayoung's lips in her own. She watched as Nayoung reciprocated and kissed back. She watched as their lips moved against each other. At that point, there was not a single thought that was in her mind as her hands fell to her sides. Taking slow soft steps backwards, Kyulkyung found herself running again. But this time, her tears could no longer be controlled, it just flowed as she ran and the thunders slightly roared.  

Her salty tears mixed with the raindrops that slowly pelted on her face.

AT THE CAFE

Eunwoo had just finished her shift and seeing that it was about to rain soon but she did not bring an umbrella so she ran back to her dorm. Upon reaching her dorm, she walked by her desk only to see a letter with "To Nunu" written with Kyulkyung's handwriting. Eunwoo's eyes widen and she rubbed her eyes a little before opening them to make sure she was not seeing things because she missed Kyulkyung too much. 

Slowly Eunwoo picked up the letter and opened it, as she took the piece of paper out and scanned through, she realises that it really was Kyulkyung's handwriting. She then starts reading the letter. 

Eunwoo's hands fall to her side as she finishes reading Kyulkyung's letter to her. A lone tear drop falls from her eyes onto the letter followed by a flood of tears as Eunwoo places the letter back on the table, grabbing her coat and running out of her house. She is back, she left it here, she must be somewhere. Where are you Kyulkyung, if you are back why won't you just come and see me. I miss you Kyul-ah, please be ok. Ugh no what if you forgot where you are. Someone please, just please tell me where she is.

Just as she exits the dorm building however, her phone vibrates in her hand. "Kyul calling". Eunwoo answers in the speed of light. "YA YOU IDIOT PABO JOO KYULKYUNG WHERE-" "Nunu, please just listen and don't say a thing." That was enough to calm Eunwoo down and she stayed silent, a signal to Kyulkyung to speak. Eunwoo can hear Kyulkyung let out a sigh before saying, "My best friend, Jung Eunwoo. Thank you for everything. I saw you today from outside your cafe. You looked really cool as you worked Nunu." Eunwoo could not hold back her sobs listening to the voice she missed so much. "Thank you for loving me and for being my best friend. I am sorry I was the worst best friend. Please stay happy, continue to live your life well and tell Nayoung and Minkyung to last long together will you? Help me make sure Minkyung doesn't break Nayoung's heart like I do. This is it Eunwoo, I love you. Goodbye." 

Before Eunwoo could say a word, Kyulkyung had hung up. She tried calling back but Kyulkyung's phone was already off by then. Eunwoo could only stand foolishly as she let the rain pelt against her skin while her tears continued to fall uncontrollably down her face.Yah Joo Kyulkyung why, where are you going...Are you really going to leave me in this world alone. Why....why are you doing this to me. Joo Kyulkyung, don't you dare do anything stupid. Wait for me please, wait for me, I am coming. Please....please....I can't live without you.