Chapter 19

From Afar

An ambulance arrived at the scene shortly and Kyulkyung was quickly shifted onto a stretcher as Nayoung, Minkyung and Eunwoo watched helplessly. They stood watching silently as they saw Kyulkyung's body covered in blood being wheeled onto the ambulance. "We can only take 1 of you on the ambulance.", one of the Paramedics tells the trio in a rather monotonous voice, one that showed just how numb he was to such scenes. "I'll co-" Before Eunwoo could finish her sentence, Nayoung had already walked right past her and up into the ambulance. Just as the paramedics closed the ambulance doors, Eunwoo could see Nayoung picking Kyulkyung's bloody hand and holding it tightly as yet another flood of tears engulfed her. "Come on Eunwoo, we better hop onto a cab and follow the ambulance. We need to tell the rest too." Minkyung says as she forcibly drags Eunwoo into a cab. While on the cab, Eunwoo's eyes never left the ambulance in front of them. She stared straightahead and did not speak a word. Meanwhile, Minkyung was busy trying to contact Kyungwon and the rest to tell them to rush to the hospital.

IN THE AMBULANCE

Nayoung held on tightly to Kyulkyung's bloody hand as she brought it up to her cheeks and rubbed her cheek against Kyulkyung's soft hands. She has missed this girl in front of her terribly, she missed her so much she would have been willing to travel to hell and back just to see her. She hoped that she would one day be able to see the girl she so loved but not like this. Right now, in this moment, Nayoung wishes it was just all one long nightmare. That Kyulkyung was not lying on the stretcher in front of hers with a weak pulse, eyes closed and blood all over her. She wishes that she had stopped her in time, before she....before she walked voluntarily into an oncoming truck.

"Wake up please, Kyul. Open your eyes for me. Don't you miss me too. I missed you so...so...so much." Nayoung manages to say as she her body trembles and tears start to fall again. Her tears dripped slowly onto Kyulkyung's hand which she was holding as her tears mixed with Kyulkyung's blood. "Kyul, please, I'm begging you, please just open your eyes for me will you.....Open them....Open" Nayoung kept repeating it, each time softer as she can no longer control her sobs as she buries her face in Kyulkyung's palm and wails loudly. 

"Na-Na-Na-young" A soft and weak voice manages to stop Nayoung from crying as she turns her head abruptly to face Kyulkyung. Her heart ached at what she saw. Kyulkyung was breathing heavily into the oxygen mask and her eyes were barely open, yet she was still smiling at her. "Kyul, Kyul you opened your eyes, you opened them, Kyul why, why did you do this to yourself? Why are you doing this to me? I miss you Kyul, I love you." Smiling Kyulkyung replies, "Narong, do-do-don't cry, it-it ma-kes y-ou lo-ok u-ugly. Sm-smi-smile for me pl-pl-ease." Hearing this, Nayoung tries her best to swallow her tears and smiles at Kyulkyung. "Better?" Nayoung manages to say as Kyulkyung nods weakly. Kyulkyung blinks a few times as tears stream down her face as well and she breathes even more heavily. "I-I'm sorry...for-for-forget me and li-li-live on. I-I-I lo-love y-y-you" is all Kyulkyung manages to say before her eyes closes again and her hand goes limp in Nayoung's. "No No No, NOOOO. Kyul, open your eyes again for me, open them Kyul-ah, no don't don't leave me!" 

Beep, Beep, Beep. The machine goes as Kyulkyung's pulse weakens. The paramedics had to pull a screaming and wailing Nayoung aside as they try to give Kyulkyung CPR so she makes it to the hospital. Nayoung calms after awhile as she watches helplessly as the paramedics are barely able to get a Kyulkyung's pulse back to normal as they just make it to the hospital.

AT THE HOSPITAL

The ambulance pulls up at the hospital as the cab does too. Kyulkyung is swiftly wheeled out of the ambulance as Nayoung, Minkyung and Eunwoo follows. After a quick check at the A&E, Kyulkyung was wheeled into the operating room. "Sorry, you cannot follow. Please wait here" A nurse halts the three as they stand helplessly outside the OR watching Kyulkyung getting wheeled in, the door closes and the "In Progress" lights turn on." 

Nayoung's feet give way right after, as she sits on the groud staring blankly into space unsure of what should be going through in her mind right now. Images of Kyulkyung's bloodied body in the ambulance passes through her mind, Kyulkyung's words stayed etched in her mind as she remembers the sound of her weak voice. It was so beautiful, her voice still sounded as sweet as it was always albeit alot weaker. An image of a bloody Kyulkyung lying on the stretcher as the paramedics tried their best to bring back her pulse floated in Nayoung's head as tears started to slowly stream down her face.

Seeing Nayoung broken into shreds broke Minkyung even more. Her beloved friend was in the operating room fighting for her life and the love of her life was right there heartbroken and in pain yet she could nothing to help either one of them. Minkyung makes her way towards Nayoung as she pulls Nayoung up forcibly to make her sit on the chairs outside the OR. She pulls Nayoung into a hug and pats her hair softly as teardrops found their way into her eyes too. Eunwoo pushes herself to sit beside Nayoung and the three of them hug tightly as they cried and prayed for Kyulkyung.

After they had calmed down and were just sitting outside the OR and staring blankly into space, loud footsteps could be heard as the remaining 6 girls ran to the OR. "Kyul, how's Kyul" Yaebin directs the question at the three as Minkyung shrugs her shoulders in reply. "What happened? Was it an accident or?" Kyungwon asks as Yewon, Sungyeon, Siyeon and Kyla sobbed at a corner. "No" Nayoung speaks, shocking everyone as they turned to look at her. "No, its not an accident, its my fault. I couldn't stop her in time, I was scared frozen as I just watched her walking aimlessly while smiling into an oncoming truck. Its all my fault Kyul is lying in there, I could have stopped her, I could have stopped it, why, why am I such a failure, why why WHYYY?" They watched helplessly as Minkyung pulls a wailing Nayoung into a hug again whispering into her ear "No its not your fault Nayoung, its not, its not", repeating it like a mantra in hopes of convincing the girl.

Kyungwon and Yaebin take the seats opposite the rest as Kyungwon engulfs Yaebin in a tight hug, both of them sobbing into each other's arms. The nine of them saat there, crying, praying and hoping that their beloved friend survives.