Chapter 20

From Afar

9 girls with tear stained faces sat outside the OR each praying, wishing and begging for any deity up there to keep their friend safe, to save her and bring her back to their sides where she belongs. Seconds felt like minutes and minutes felt like hours, it was one dreadful and tiring wait for any news of their friend who is currently fighting for her life in there, supposedly. Because somehow Nayoung knew, she knew that Kyulkyung wasn't really fighting anymore. She felt it even more as she saw nurses run in and out hurriedly. Still though she wished, she hoped that Kyulkyung would at the very least still fight for her, that she fights for the love they once and still shared. But really in life, how often do our wishes come true...

The soft sound of the lights being switched off can be heard and it prompts 9 girls to turn their heads towards the source of it. They stood up slowly as they saw an exhausted doctor walking out with a grim look on his face. "May I speak to Miss Joo Kyulkyung's family please?" "We are" Minkyung replied in a sure tone because they were family, whatever Kyulkyung did will never change this. The doctor lets out a sigh, "I am really sorry, we tried our best but Miss Joo, she-, her brain stem died." Hearing what they doctor said, their hearts fell and Nayoung, Nayoung felt her heart sink to the deepest ocean in the world. "What-what does it mean doctor?" Minkyung asks seeing how the girls froze at the doctor's words. "They were several blood clots that we had to remove in Miss Joo's head. However there is a time limit to complete the procedure if not the patient ends up brain dead. Unfortunately, we realised that Miss Joo was diagnosed with CADASIL which caused her to have a while we operated on her. The sudden complication caused us to pass the time limit. I am sorry but we have tried our very best." "She, she is still alive, right? She is right? She is still breathing?" This time it wassn't Minkyung who spoke but Eunwoo, a broken-hearted Eunwoo who asked the one question they all had in their hearts but were just too afraid to ask, too afraid of the answer. "She technically is, but the life support machine can only keep her alive for so long I'm sorry. I suggest you all go see her." That was the last thing the doctor said as he left, leaving behind 9 heart torn girls sobbing quietly in the empty, silent, heartwrenching hallway.