Chapter 16

From Afar

"Kyul, I miss you" I miss you too. Kyulkyung wished to utter those words too, she really did. Instead, she hanged up as she let tears fall uncontrollably down her cheeks as she just sobbed there in the corner of her room. I miss you too, I really do, but I'm sorry I can't say it to you, I promised myself that words like I love you and I miss you will forever be kept to myself. I'm sorry Nayoung, but I won't ever say it to you. I'm just glad I could hear your voice, I'm thankful that you missed me. But its better if you don't...

Having seemingly made up her mind and realising that she is not of much use back in Germany anymore, Kyulkyung decides to go back to Korea to see the people she missed the most. She did not pack much though, just a small little backpack and left most of her stuff in the room. Standing at the door of the room, she looks at it for a final time before heading to the airport.

She bought the earliest available flight ticket to Korea and managed to get on a plane within a few hours. She was finally on her way back, to her home, to where she belonged, to the place she missed the most and the place where her family was. I miss all of you so much.

SOUTH KOREA

It was past midnight by the time she reached Korea. As she took a step out of the airport, she stood still and took a deep breath. Ahhhh, the air here is just different. The air smelled familiar, it smelled like home. She took a cab and the first place she decided to head to was the orphanage that they grew up at.

She finally reached. Standing outside the orphanage, she stared at the building. Its been really long since I have been back. If only Nayoung was here....No stop it Kyulkyung stop thinking about Nayoung for now. I really missed this place, the place where we started Nayoung. The place we all grew up together as a family of 10. As the dozen memories of when they were kids replayed in her mind, a lone tear trickled down her cheek as Kyulkyung realised one thing...she should be glad she could still remember their times when they were kids.

Having grown up there, Kyulkyung could visit anytime she wanted but it was late and the people in charge of the orphange were already asleep so she decided to sneak in carefully instead. Heading to the rooftop of the orphanage, Kyulkyung took a seat and placed her backpack beside her. She looked up into the stars and thought about the times when Nayoung and her spent nights out here just enjoying the silence and the view of the stars. Kyulkyung always had alot of questions as to where her parents were and why they left her here alone in this world. Looking at the stars however seemed to always comfort Kyulkyung somehow, it felt like the stars could understand her and were listening to her silent thoughts. She still remembers the night she found 8 year old Nayoung sobbing in the corner and she invited her to watch the stars together.

That night when they were 8 years old was the start of everything with Nayoung. That night was the night Nayoung first opened up to her about her life. She misses it, she really does, she misses all the times Nayoung and her spent together as innocent kids just running around and enjoying life in the orphanage. She misses the stupid things the 10 of them would do together. She misses those nights that Nayoung would intertwine their fingers together as they watched the stars quietly. She misses the memories of the past year she has forgotten. She read about those memories through her diary that she wrote as if she was writing a letter to Nayoung everyday. She misses Nayoung.

It was soon dawn and Kyulkyung decided that she should leave before the people in charge woke up, she sneaked in after hours anyways. She stood outside the orphanage for a little while more, just admiring the building that looked like it has not changed since she was there. Goodbye, thanks for witnessing all the happy times I have had here. Thank you for being the home I am glad I grew up in. I will miss this place. Bye

After leaving the orphanage, Kyulkyung headed to a nearby stationery shop to get some paper and envelope. She then headed to their dorms. As she stood in front of Eunwoo's dorm, she enters the password and heads in. She knew Eunwoo will not be in since she had that usual cafe shift every Saturday morning ever since high school started. She knew the college they enrolled into since it was in her diaries to Nayoung and from there she found where Eunwoo's dorm was. 

Standing in front of Eunwoo's study table, she felt a sense of familiarity. It was like something in her heart told her that she had been here before, but her brain conjured up no images, nothing. Her heart remembered but her brain failed her heart. Kyulkyung was living as a high school student in her last year. High school Kyulkyung had never been here and in this position, but the Kyulkyung from 3 months ago did. She took out an envelope from her bag and placed in on the table. Looking at the pictures of them as kids (the same ones she stared at 3 months ago before she left), she held back her tears. I love you Nunu-yah, I will miss you. Please smile always like you always used too. 

Leaving Eunwoo's room, Kyulkyung headed to the nearby cafe. She stood outside the cafe at corner as she looked at Eunwoo working hard at her shift. She watched as Eunwoo brewed one coffee after the other. She looked to see the table that the 10 of them would hang out at after high school. She remembered how Yaebin and her stayed at the cafe for the entire duration of Eunwoo's shifts when she first started out in the first year of high school worried that Eunwoo would make a mistake or get bullied by a customer or something. After an entire month, Eunwoo finally convinced them she could handle the shift before they started coming lesser. Thinking about that put a smile on Kyulkyung's face.

Ahhh, those were the days. Her reminiscing was stopped as her eyes widen and she moved to quickly hide behind a nearby pillar. 

MEANWHILE

Nayoung has been figety ever since that call from Kyulkyung and Minkyung thought it would be a good idea to go for a picnic date on Saturday at the usual park to help to take Nayoung's mind off things. Throughout these 3 months, Minkyung had witnessed firsthand how hard Nayoung had worked and tried to remove any thoughts of Kyulkyung out of her mind. She did it, she locked all the thoughts of Kyulkyung and missing her into a box and placed it in a corner of her heart and mind as Nayoung opened up her broken heart to Minkyung who fixed it up single-handedly. 

1 call, 1 unexpected call from Kyulkyung was all it took for the box to be unlocked. Minkyung knew that the only person who could lock that box again is Nayoung herself and so she was willing to help Nayoung find the key once again even though it only hurt her even more. For Minkyung it was ok, she was already used to getting hurt, a little more made no different. 

So here they were walking towards the cafe Eunwoo worked at to get some drinks. As the two of them walked side by side on the sidewalk, Minkyung saw how Nayoung's thoughts seemed to be wandering and so she reached out for her hand and intertwined their fingers, giving Nayoung's hand a little squeeze. Stopping, Nayoung turned to look at her, "Let's just enjoy today ok Narong, try to keep all the unhappy thoughts away". After saying which, Minkyung gave Nayoung a huge smile which Nayoung before she slightly pulled Minkyung in the direction of Eunwoo's cafe.

Some part of me may still love you Kyul, but I have Minky now and she has helped me so much, I can't break her heart any further. Yes Nayoung, you have Minky now, so fill your thoughts only with Minky only. You let go once, you can do it again. Nayoung just kept repeating that in her mind as she walked to the cafe and set her mind to enjoying her date with Minkyung today.

Both of them strolled slowly to the cafe with their hands tightly intertwined together and occasionally turning to smile at each other totally oblivious to the heartbroken pair of eyes that stared at them from a corner.