Chapter 7

From Afar

NEXT MORNING

Kyulkyung barely slept yesterday and it was Nayoung who had to pull her out of bed instead. Their normal routine continued as the two made their way to school to attend their lessons. As soon as Eunwoo see Kyulkyung though, she rushes to her, eager to find out about how it went with the doctor. Luckily, Yaebin was late for class as usual and Eunwoo got to have a chance to speak privately with Kyulkyung. "So Kyul, how did it go at the doctor's? Is everything fine?" Eunwoo asked with a look of worry plastered all over her face as their eyes met. Nunu-yah, I wish I can tell you everything but how do I tell you that I am soon about to forget you too or that I might just die someday...how do I? With a huge smile plastered on her face, Kyulkyung answered by saying "Well I was right Eunwoo, the doctor said I am fine and that it must have been due to my body just trying to adapt to the stress now that we are entering into one of the toughest semesters in college. Whew I am so relieved aren't you?" Hearing this, Eunwoo engulfed Kyulkyung into a hug, before a lone tear slided down her right cheek, "I am so glad Kyul-ah, I really am, I cant imagine life without you my best friend." Ouch, best friend, but yes that is who I am to you and how we will remain even though I love you so much Kyul, I am just glad you are fine, how would I live without my one and only love. Kyulkyung returned Eunwoo's hug and noticed her shoulders getting slightly wet from Eunwoo's tears, pull Eunwoo out of their hug before they gain too much attention in the lecture hall. "Yah you pabo, you got my shirt wet" Kyulkyung exclaims softly as they both burst out into laughter as their Professor walked in to start class. Turning to face Eunwoo who was concentrating in class, Kyulkyung stared at her best friend, her best pal and the person she always counted on all her life. Nunu-yah, I am sorry for lying but I can't bear to see you hurt from knowing that you have to live without me one day, why is all this happening. Promise me Nunu, promise me that you live your life for yourself alright, even if I am gone...

NIGHTS LATER

Ahhhh...not again, ugh not when I'm with Nayoung no ugh why now. Kyulkyung woke up in the middle of the night to a terrible headache. Occasional blindness or numbness or severe headaches, she has managed to hide from everyone around her when it happened over the past 2 weeks. But right now, her headache is killing her and there is no way of getting into the kitchen and taking painkillers without waking Nayoung. No, I can't let her suspect a thing, I can't. Nayoung is a rather heavy sleeper but she would definitely wake up to the sound of Kyulkyung staggering to get painkillers and Kyulkyung cannot let that happen, she can't. And so, she held it in, biting her lip to make sure she will not groan as her hands slowly made their way to her head trying to massage it. She tried her best to limit her movements so she will not wake Nayoung. The pain was radiating around her head and she felt like a giant hand was crushing her from above but she held it all in as tears fell from her eyes as she tolerated the pain. Hold it in Kyulkyung, hold it in, you can do this, do it for Nayoung, do it for her so she does not find out. Kyulkyung come on you can do this, hold it in, hold it in, hold it in. Like a mantra, Kyulkyung just repeated those 3 words in her head before she finally fell back asleep her body spent from holding in the physical pain. 

THE NEXT MORNING

Kyulkyung woke up to her alarm ringing, it was Saturday morning and Nayoung usually sleeps in on Saturdays if they do not have a date planned. So she arranged her next doctor appointment for today morning. Getting out of bed slowly, she headed for the bathroom and changed into exercise clothing. She then went beside Nayoung to give her a peck on the lips which Nayoung returned sleepily. Kyulkyung went out for a morning hike whenever they did not have a date on Saturday mornings, so Nayoung would not suspect a thing. Kyulkyung used to pull Nayoung with her to these hikes but over time figured her girlfriend treasured her sleep alot more so she was fine with going alone. She enjoyed the morning breeze and the time alone once in awhile after all. Except today, she was not out to enjoy the morning breeze, she was heading to the one place she so dearly wished she did not have to head to.

DR KIM'S ROOM

"So Ms Kyulkyung it has been around 2 or 3 weeks since you first heard your diagnosis, how has your condition been these few weeks" Dr Kim asked while staring at some of her charts before looking up at Kyulkyung as she began to talk. "Well, my headaches have become more frequent and if everytime I get symptom means i get an attack, I guess you could say I am getting a transient ischemic attack once every 2 or 3 days?" Kyulkyung stated so matter of factly even she could not believe how she has already seemingly sucuumbed to her fate. A frown greeted Dr Kim's face immediately, as she seemed to be deep in thoughts. "It seems like your condition is not exactly the most stable, if you continue to let it be, you could get a major soon. I did mention when we first met that I am one of lead researchers of CADASIL and the truth is though we have no cure for this illness there has been some progress made." Hearing this, Kyulkyung's eyes lit up at the mention of a possible cure. Seeing the hope in Kyulkyung's eyes, Doyeon felt bad for seemingly given her hope and she felt obligated to tell her the truth before she got too excited. "Before you get too happy however, Ms Kyulkyung. Firstly, what we have managed to achieve so far is to just stabilise the number of transient ischemic attacks you get so as to risk your chances of getting a full blown . Secondly, the one leading this project is not me but my professor back in med school and it is only available in one hospital in Germany. " Her spirit was dampened immediately, "My memories then, will I be able to keep them if I undergo this treatment?". "I am sorry but we still cannot help with that. The treatment research is also only in the early research stages and has not been formally introduced as treatment method for CADASIL. Allow me to selfishly ask though Ms Kyulkyung, truthfully, we are in need of CADASIL patients willing to shift to Germany to help with the research for a cure, would you be interested? It could help many future patients." Kyulkyung was devastated. I guess there is no way...I will still forget everyone one day and I would be so useless I need to be dependant on someone to look after my every need one day...how can I do that to Nayoung and the rest, I will just become a burden. 

"Alright, I will go. I hope that with my help someday people with CADASIL will not have to suffer from dementia too. But Dr Kim, can you give me some time to tie up loose ends here?" "Sure sure, thank you so much Ms Kyulkyung. I know it is not an easy decision to make. Take all the time you need, I will help to arrange everything for you there in Germany all you need to do is pack your stuff and tell me when you want to leave." Kyulkyung just nodded and Dr Kim explained a little more about research that was ongoing and prescribed Kyulkyung stronger painkillers. After which, Kyulkyung headed back to the dorm in a rush so that it would still seem like she had went on with her usual hiking routine.

ON THE WAY BACK

On the road back to the dorms, Kyulkyung stopped by the cafe Eunwoo worked at to get some drinks for Nayoung and herself. "Hey Kyul, done with your hike already? I am guessing you will get the usual for yourself and Nayoung?" Kyulkyung just nodded. "Alright take a seat, I will get them ready for you in no time". "Thanks Nunu" Kyulkyung says as she takes a seat beside the window. It was the exact same seat that Nayoung and her sat at everytime they came here for a date. Kyulkyung sighs as she gets reminded of all the dates they had spent there together. Right, dates that I will sound just come to forget. Just then, Eunwoo came out with her drinks. Grabbing them from Eunwoo, "Thanks Nunu, you're the best cya!" "Cya" Kyulkyung waves back as she leaves the cafe to walk back to their dorm.

I am sorry Narong, forgive me but I cant bear seeing you have to deal with me when I forget everything, when I forget that I love you. I hope you find someone else more deserving of your love, someone who will actually remember you forever when I leave ultimately. I am sorry Narong, sorry for having to hurt you in the days to come. But this is for you, for my one and only love. So bear with the short term pain ok Narong, and I hope you forgive me one day