Chapter 10

From Afar

LUNCH BREAK

As usual, the 10-wait its only 9 today, the 9 of them were having their lunch together. Nayoung was not eating at all though, she was just picking at her food and staring at it which did not go unseen by Minkyung. Standing up, she grabs Nayoung by the wrist before saying, "Hey Kyungwon, go to class on you own first alright, Nayoung and me just need to make a short trip somewhere and will be back. Oh, and return out trays for us will you, thanks dude". Before Kyungwon could reply or Nayoung could protest, Minkyung had already dragged Nayoung out of the cafeteria. The remaining 7 people at the table were just left baffled.

"Where exactly are you taking me Minky?" Nayoung asks as she was being dragged out of the school compounds by Minkyung heading towards the nearby park where they used to share about their problems when they were younger. "Just follow me and dont speak until I tell you to" Minkyung retorts.

When they reached the park, Minkyung pulled Nayoung down to sit at the usual bench they sat at whenever one of them needed some advice. It has been a long time since Nayoung came here, this place was special to her. It was where Minkyung and her used to spend time talking to each other, where she used to rant on about how much of a coward she was for not daring to confess to Kyulkyung, where the 10 of them used to go for picnics together and also where Kyulkyung and her had spent their first official date together. Breathing in the air there immediately placed a slight smile on Nayoung's face as she took a quick trip down memory lane of what this place meant to her. That smile however was turned upside down in an instant as she remembers what happened the night before...

"Now, talk, what is it that is bothering you stone that you were late for class and you aren't eating", Minkyung says after the 2 enjoyed the silence for awhile. "Minky, I-" ugh how do I say this... "Its Kyul isn't it?" "What how did you know?". Laughing slightly, Minkyung replies, "There is only one person in this world that can turn Im Na Young into a wreck, all of us know this." Sadly that person isn't me... "That's true". Nayoung says as a long sigh escapes before she goes on to tell Minkyung about all that had happened before breaking into tears. "I dont know anymore Minkyung, this is not like Kyulkyung at all, does she not love me anymore?" Tears flowed uncontrollably down Nayoung's cheeks as she buried her face in Minkyung's chest as the slighly taller girl carressed her back, not saying anything as she allowed Nayoung to just let out all the tears she had been keeping the entire day.

To be honest, Minkyung was furious. I know something else, I was not sure if I should tell you before Nayoung, but I think I should now. I gave you up to Kyulkyung but you come running back to me in tears. I don't know why she is doing this to you too, but one thing I know for sure now, she doesn't deserve you Nayoung, she doesn't. Open your eyes please, I will help you open them. After seeing that Nayoung has visibly calmed down letting out only a few whimpers, Minkyung releases Nayoung from the hug and grabs her shoulders, tilting Nayoung to face her. "I did not want to say this Nayoung, but I can't stand how Kyulkyung is treating you, so I will say this once and once only, it is up to you whether you choose to believe me but let me just say this once." Nayoung nods, a signal for Minkyung to continue. "I don't know when she started lying to you but I am sure that she did lie when she went for her usual hiking last Saturday. I was supposed to drop by Eunwoo's cafe to pass her something and I saw Kyulkyung heading to the cafe, I guess its to keep with the routine to get drinks for herself and you after her weekly Saturday hike. Thing is, we all know where Kyulkyung hikes, but I saw her walking to the cafe from a different direction. She was coming from town, she did not look like she hiked either. She was not sweating and she did not even bring her gear with her, she was only dressed in sports clothing." Nayoung was slightly stunned by what Minkyung said but thinking back she did realise that when she woke up to see Kyulkyung drinking her drink from the cafe that Kyulkyung was not sweaty at all neither was she tired. Nayoung had thought it was weird but decided to just ignore it assuming that the weather was slightly better. "I just ignored it at first since when I went it to find Eunwoo she told me that Kyulkyung just popped by after her hike. Hearing what you have said Nayoung, I don't think it is that simple anymore."

After listening to what Minkyung said, Nayoung just froze. She did not have any tears left to shed anyways. Nayoung did not know how to accept this situation, she did not know what to make of it. Kyul, Kyul-ah, you aren't cheating on me are you? You won't right, you won't. Minkyung is just overthinking and I am overthinking too right? Can you tell me... Choosing to just ignore the problem, Nayoung just stood up facing Minkyung with a smile she says, "Thanks Minky for listening to me, lets get back shall we?" She then turns to walk back to school as Minkyung tagged along. Nayoung-ah, Nayoung don't be delusional, the truth may hurt but I can go through this hurt with you...dont do this please, dont try to smile, I know you are hurting, cant you just admit it already...

NIGHT AT THE HOSPITAL

It was 8pm, Kyulkyung slowly opened her eyes to see white walls surround her and an IV drip attached to her hand. Everything that happened in the morning came to her in floods. Picking up her phone which was beside her, she saw there were tons of missed calls and unopened messages from Nayoung. Seeing this, a tear trickled down her cheek. She had to stay firm, so she ignored all the messages and calls. She realised that she had somehow managed to message Eunwoo to tell her she wont be in school and Eunwoo had replied telling her Nayoung had texted to ask where she was. Eunwoo told her she had just replied Nayoung telling her that Kyulkyung had said that she will not be in school. "Oh you're awake? I will go call Dr Kim." Dr Kim entered shortly and Kyulkyung locked her phone without replying to Eunwoo. "How are you feeling Ms Kyulkyung?" "I am fine now Dr Kim, can I leave, I need to get somewhere." "Technically you should be staying for another night but seeing as to how you may have things to settle before you leave, I guess I could allow you to leave now. Come back if your headache gets too bad again ok, oh and remember the breakfast on Saturday." "Got it, thank you so much" Kyulkyung says as she grabs her stuff before leaving the hospital.

She leaves the hospital but not before heading to the nearest convenience stall to grab some soju. Downing half a bottle, she realises her cheeks were pretty red already. She then arranges her clothes to make them look sloppy and rubs her lipstick to ruin it before trudging back to the dorm. It was 10pm, knowing Nayoung, she would be waiting for Kyulkyung to come back for an explanation. She braced herself for the impending conflict.

AT THE DORM

Nayoung was just staring blankly at all the photoframes that plastered the wall, showing how Kyulkyung and her came to be over the years. Just then, the door clicked open and she saw Kyulkyung walking in with her clothes messy, her lipstick obviously ruined and her cheeks pinkish. Kyulkyung was not exactly walking straight either, she drank again....Trying to compose herself, Nayoung walks towards Kyulkyung standing infront of her, "Where have you been and who were you with?". "Do I need to report to you where I am every single second, who do you think you are, my mum? Sorry but she never existed in my life" Ouch, Kyul why would you say this to meI care that is why I'm asking Kyul, have you forgotten that already? Have I already been replaced... Kyulkyung's words stung, Nayoung had had enough of this lying and Kyulkyung's attitude was not one she liked. "I am your mother ing girlfriend in case you do not remember, dont I have a right to know all that? Why can't I know anyways, did you do something wrong?". "What the actual Nayoung, I just got home and you are accusing me of doing something wrong straightaway? I can't deal with you when you are like this, I am out of here" WIth that Kyulkyung turned her back towards Nayoung, opened the door and slammed it shut in Nayoung's face.

She could not take it anymore, her girlfriend was obviously not the same anymore, Kyul-ah why, why are you doing this to me, where did the old you go? Where? Why? The pain her heart felt was unbearable, she needed someone with her, someone who would understand. Taking out her phone, Nayoung called Minkyung  and with her voice trembling she said, "Minky...ca-can you come up, I-I ne-need you please..."

MEANWHILE

Kyulkyung knew what she said to Nayoung was equivalent to shooting arrows at her heart. She knew that Nayoung was hurt, confused and in pain. But she knew that it had to be done. The only thing she could do to make herself feel better was to constantly remind herself that it was better that Nayoung hurt now, instead of for the rest of her life with Kyulkyung. So after slamming the door on Nayoung, she ran, she ran and ran with no aim at all and she had no idea where she was headed. All she knew was she needed to get away, to get to somewhere. Its for her own good Kyulkyung, what you are doing is for her Kyulkyung so press on, this will all be over soon. Nayoung, hold on will you, take all the pain and hurt I will give you and hate me, hate me so that you would wish I was gone. Because that is the only wish left of yours that I can fulfill.