The proposal and the story

The ugly fish seller

It was another Friday evening, and usually, Kyuhyun couldn't wait to go back home to see his Sungmin, but he was stuck in the city's government audit office due to never ending piles of work. Since he was one of the best, some of his colleagues relied heavily on him to check their work because for the Audit office, there was no room for mistakes. He has to go through their account books in addition to his own work. He was new, so he has to be nice and helpful.

"Kim Kyu, come let's go!" Heechul's head suddenly appeared at his door.

"I need another 30 minutes, hyung." 

"It's already 8pm! We have a long drive!" 

"Unless I bring these home" Kyuhyun looked at his work with a sigh. 

"I know, you are helping other people to check their work. Next time, don't be too nice. These people need to start being responsible and do their own rechecking! You want me to talk to them?" 

"No need hyung. I don't want you to get into any trouble because of me" 

"I don't care, I will talk to them. Luckily I'm not in the accounting team. Else I kick their backside!" 

Kyuhyun packed his work and put them inside his bag. Together with Heechul, they walked out of the office towards Heechul's car. 

"Heyyy Kim Kyu, did you bring the ring?" Heechul asked Kyuhyun after they had hit the road. 

"Yes, it's with me" Kyuhyun grinned. 

"So, when are you going to pop up the question?" 

"I was planning tomorrow. But I have no idea what to say, hyung, believe it or not? Thinking about it, makes me more nervous" 

"What's so difficult to say 'Will you marry me?' and I'm sure you can do it! You and her are so in love!" 

"It's easier said than done!" 

"Maybe you should bring her out for a walk. Then find a good moment to pop up the question"

"I actually planning to tell her about my scar first. Just that I donno would it be appropriate to say it since I'm going to propose to her" 

"Your scar? Aisshhh you dumbhead, she loves you. Your scar wouldn't have mattered" 

"I donno, I just want her to know..." 

"Ok fine, but you can't show her right, so what's the point of telling her now" 

"I'll think about it. You are right too I guess. Even if I tell her how I got that scar, she couldn't imagine how ugly it is" 

"Kim Kyu, it wasn't ugly. You got that because you were trying to help an old couple from drowning. It was just unfortunate that so many things happened at the same time and ended up you were badly injured. Don't let that scar be a hindrance between you and Sungmin "

"I know hyung. Thank you for always giving me your encouragement" 

"Aisshhh we are cousins, aren't we?! And I always treat you like a brother!" Heechul reached over and messed up Kyuhyun's hair. In truth, he admired Kyuhyun. Hardworking and very righteous. Sungmin was a very lucky girl to capture his heart! 

It was late when they reached home. Only Mrs Cho and Sungmin were up and still talking in the dining room. They were surprised when Heechul's car stopped and the two gentlemen walked in. 

"Chul and Kyu!! I thought you won't be back since it was late!" Mrs Cho stood up to welcome them. Sungmin stood up too and smile happily at Kyuhyun. 

"Your son, imu, is too hardworking until I had to drag him out" Heechul teased Kyuhyun, then noticing that Sungmin was there, he waved at Sungmin "Hello Sungmin" 

"Hello oppa! Hi Kyu. Have you two eaten? I set the dinner table for you?" Sungmin said after greeting them. 

"Still have food? Yes, please, I'm starving!" Heechul winked at her. 

"Hyung, we can helped ourselves, why troubled Sungmin" 

"It's ok Kyu. You two get change first, I will set the table" Sungmin smile and went to the kitchen. 

"Omma, I'm sorry for being late, I got so much work in the office" Kyuhyun told his mother after Heechul left them to take a quick shower first. 

"My poor son. It's ok, as long as your effort is recognised. Go and keep your bag and changed. I help Sungmin to set the table".

"Yes omma" 

After their supper, Heechul and Mrs Cho left the dining room and brought their tea to the verandah. Kyuhyun helped Sungmin with the dishes. 

"Min, can we go for a walk along the river tomorrow?" 

Sungmin looked at Kyuhyun and smile "Sure. But after I help omma to cook, ok?" 

"What do you two plan to cook?" 

"Doenjang Jjigae, Bulgogi and Tteokbokki. Omma said you like her bulgogi, so I'm learning from her" Sungmin said shyly. 

"That's great" Kyuhyun said, and added "But Min, you don't have to learn those dishes that I like. I can eat anything that you cook. I love whatever you made for me" 

"But I want to. Nobody taught me how to cook last time. I only learn from halmeoni and from my neighbours"

Kyuhyun took her wet hands and wipe them, and turned her to face him "Of course, Min, learn whatever you can, I am not stopping you. As it is, I am so thankful that you love my family and my family loves you, it's just that I don't want you to tire yourself just to do something that I like".

"I love to learn, especially if it's something that you like" 

Kyuhyun felt like proposing right now but he has to be patient. 

"Alright then, it's late, I'll finish wiping these dishes. You go on and rest. I want to join omma and hyung for a while".

"Alright, goodnight Kyu" 

Kyuhyun kissed her forehead and then her lips. Ohh how he missed those lips! "Goodnight, Min". 

It was a windy day the next day. Walking along the beautiful river, hand in hand with somebody that he loved, in a beautiful windy afternoon, was one of the best times that he had. 

They stopped at a bench facing the river, and Kyuhyun let Sungmin sat first and then he sat next to her. 

"How's your hand and leg now? Is it still painful?" 

"Not really, only if I hit something, I could feel the pain, maybe because internally, the skin layer is not fully healed".

"It will take time to be fully healed. And should be in time for our wedding day" 

Sungmin looked at him, not sure if she'd heard that right. 

Suddenly, Kyuhyun got up and  knelt in front of her, with a ring in his hand, looking lovingly at her, he said "My dear Sungmin, will you marry me and be mine forever till eternity?" 

Sungmin was so touched, she closed with both hands. Though she knew that Kyuhyun has an intention of marrying her, she never knew the proposal was so sweet. Shyly but happily, she said "Yes Kyuhyun, I will marry you"

Kyuhyun smiled happily, and took her hand to push in a ring. The he kissed her hand, got up and kissed her briefly. "Thank you, Min. You made me the happiest guy in this world!!" 

"It's beautiful, Kyu. I love it" Sungmin said while admiring her ring. 

"I love you, Min. We are engaged now" Kyuhyun said and pull Sungmin into his arms. 

"But Min, I need to tell you about something" 

"Yes Kyu?" 

"I have an ugly scar across my chest and I don't want to hide it from you"

"I know about your scar" 

"You know?" Kyuhyun was surprised that Sungmin knew about his scar. 

"Yes, one day when I was collecting the fishes at your stall, you bent down to get them from the box under the table. You were wearing something loose on that day, so I just happened to see your scar" 

"And you didn't mind?" 

"Didn't mind that you have a scar?" 

"Yes, because it's ugly" 

"Actually, I once nicknamed you as the ugly fish seller, because at that time, I didn't know your name" Sungmin chuckled at the memory. 

"You called me ugly!!" Kyuhyun playfully and threatened to kiss her again. Sungmin laughed and tried to block his advancing lips. 

"But seriously Kyu, how did you get that scar? Seemed very deep. Must be very painful at that time" 

"It was, I was injured badly for months"

"Ohmygod, what happened?" 

Kyuhyun leaned back and took her hand in his. 

"I was 15 and I went with my dad in his large fishing boat, together with Youngwoon-samcheon, and Heechul hyung. It was raining heavily, and my dad said after we pulled the last net, we should turned back home as the weather conditions were getting bad. We were pulling the net to bring in the fishes, when we heard screams from across sea"

Sungmin was listening and hold Kyuhyun's hand tighter. 

"The other boat was about to capsize and I think the husband had fallen into the sea, that was why the wife screamed for help. I jumped down to swim across and held the man, but he was too heavy and he was sinking. While I was struggling to hold the man, their boat capsized and I saw Youngwoon-samcheon and Heechul hyung jumped into the sea too to help"

"Did you happened to see that man's face and the woman's face?" Sungmin asked, suddenly remembering something. 

Kyuhyun was surprised that she asked that "Yes, I remembered that the man has beard but he wasn't breathing anymore. When their boat capsized, the woman was thrown into the water. I have no choice but to try to help her and let go of the man" Kyuhyun said sadly. 

"However, the wave was too strong and the woman couldn't kept herself floating. Youngwoon-samcheon and hyung swam towards her but she disappeared under water. I dived to help her and saw her face. She had a mole under her eyes and she was not moving and sinking fast. Just when I tried to dive deeper to pull her up, a stingray striked me across my chest and I screamed in pain. Samcheon and hyung rushed towards me and pulled me back to our boat. My dad quickly pulled me up and press the wound with cloth till we reached the shore and rushed me to the hospital"

Sungmin was sobbing. Lifting her head, she said teary-eyed "Kyu, you were trying to save my parents... and you got hurt instead..."