Meeting the family

The ugly fish seller

The preparation for the baby full month ceremony was in full swing. The big house has been cleaned, tidied, curtains replaced, decorated and the ladies of the house has cooked lots of great food.

Kyuhyun was on his way to Sungmin's house. He looked smart and handsome, and those villages who recognised him along the way, praised him on how good looking he was, having seen him only in his regular clothes most of the time.

With a heart that nearly exploded due to nervousness, Kyuhyun knocked on Sungmin's door. He tried to tidy his hair a bit after got tousled by the wind. When the door opened, his heart stopped and jaw dropped. 

Sungmin looked so stunningly beautiful in pink and white hanbok. Her long hanbok skirt was in light pink, top in off-white, and her hair was bunned up neatly with some fringe nicely swept aside in front of her pretty face.  She was smiling and was talking something. Kyuhyun felt like slapping himself to focus and listen and to close his mouth. 

".... get you a drink first" Sungmin was saying while turned around to go back in. 

'What did she say? Ohhh maybe asked me to come in first while she gets me a drink? Oh my, she looks so beautiful! Ok I need to go in and sit down... if I can move my stupid legs. They are too stuned to move, ofmygod, has they turned jelly?? Why can't I move them? Stupid stupid legs... '

Slowly, Kyuhyun stepped inside the house and saw that all the fish crackers have been tied up in 5 packs each for ease of carrying and there was a basket of something on the table. He sat down before he collapsed because his legs which obviously has somewhat turned into jellyfish. He took a few deep breath to calm himself down. 

"Here you go! Was the sun so hot? You looked so red just now. You don't have to rush here you know, I have packed and tied up everything, so we can just go anytime" Sungmin said with a sweet smile. Kyuhyun looked so dashingly handsome. She has to keep talking to calm herself, else she would surely stumble somewhere in her house due to her clumsiness because of her stupid heart beating crazily this whole morning anticipating Kyuhyun's arrival. But why did her heart beats crazily for this man? He has a girl in his heart already and she surely has no chance whatsoever. Oh well, just be herself and be polite, that was what she has decided, since the family was kind enough to invite her. 

Kyuhyun looked good even when he drank his water. His fingers were long and sturdy, and his tousled hair was gorgeously messy which she just realised he has such fine curls. Why didn't she realised how good looking Kyuhyun was all along? She always judged a book by its cover, that was her weakness, and branded him as ugly. 

"Thanks, Sungmin. You look great! I nearly didn't recognise you when you opened the door just now" Kyuhyun was smiling and returned the glass to her. He was proud of himself because he managed to talk properly and not mumbled stupidly at her. "If you are ready, shall we go?" 

"Errr, yes yes, let's go" Sungmin put the glass down at her sink and took her cute handbag and her shoes. "I made some pumpkin pies and I hope it's enough for everyone. I'll carry this basket of pies. You can manage the crackers?" 

"No problem, I carry all the crackers. Is the basket heavy? Let me carry them" 

"Your hands are already full" 

"Hmm, maybe you carry this 5 packs of crackers and i carry the basket with my other hand" Kyuhyun passed her 5 packs which were tied together while he took the basket. His left hand was already carrying 3 packs of 15 crackers. 

"Thank you, Kyuhyun" she said smiling while closing her door and locked it. She has beautiful chubby hands and she even looked stunningly beautiful from the back. Oh my God, I better not keep starring at her. What would she think of me? She must think that I'm crazy.... Kyuhyun was scolding himself. 

They started walking and Kyuhyun was glad that both his hands were occupied, else he wouldn't know how to stop his hand from the constant urge of trying to hold her hand. Stupid hand, Kyuhyun scolded his hand and hold the basket tighter. 

"I'm sorry Kyuhyun, the basket must be heavy" Sungmin said sensing that Kyuhyun tightened his grip on the basket. 

"Oh no no, it's fine. I should thank you instead for your pies! You already did extra work to prepare the packs of crackers and you still manage to bake the pies. I hope you did catch some sleep?" 

"Yes I did, don't worry" Sungmin was smiling shyly because Kyuhyun was looking at her with concern. She hope she looked okay and dressed well. She was glad that the sky was gloomy and it was not sunny. 

"Will there be a lot of people for the baby's full month celebration?" Sungmin asked. 

"Not really, it's just our family and relatives. I will introduce you to them so that you don't feel out of place" Kyuhyun smile at her. 

'Just family and relatives? Hmmm, how about his girlfriend? Surely she is an outsider too? Or maybe his family has already regarded her as part of the family' Sungmin thought. She don't really know how to behave in front of his girlfriend when she got introduced to her later. She must be one hell of a beauty. Such a lucky girl. 

"Sungmin, don't worry too much. My family and relatives are nice and friendly. They will make you feel at home" Kyuhyun was concerned when Sungmin was quiet just now. "And my Imu will surely hog over you when she got to know that you bake the pies! She love pies, whichever flavour... Heehee" 

"Ohh haha, ok then. Is your Imu the one who has the baby daughter?" 

"Yes, Ryeowook Imu gave birth to Minyoung about a month ago. They have another son, Minhyuk, about 3 years old. Our 3 families all live together, my mum, myself, and two of my uncles, Youngwoon samchon and Jongwoon samchon. It's a bit crowded but we are happy to be one big family". 

"Wow, I don't know what it felt like to stay with so many people. It must be nice to do things together. I only have my grandma previously and after she passed away, I live alone".

'Once we are married, you have a big family too...' Kyuhyun  thought sheepishly to himself.. 

"Sungmin, once you know my family, you can always come over. I can assure you, they will welcome you with open arms!" Kyuhyun smiled widely. 

"Haha, that's nice. I already like your family! Can't wait to meet them!" 

"We are nearly there! It's that big house there with the lemon tree" 

Sungmin looked in that direction. Wow, such a big and nice house. Now she felt nervous again to meet Kyuhyun's family. Why is she feeling like being Kyuhyun's girl to be introduced to her future in-laws? Aishhhh, stop dreaming! They must already like Kyuhyun's girlfriend who should already reached there. Who am I... Just a fish crackers seller whom his late father loved to talk with. 

Once they stepped into the compound, a big man came forward smiling widely to Kyuhyun and took over the crackers. 

"Youngwoon samchon, this is Sungmin. Sungmin, this is my elder uncle, Youngwoon samchon"

"Hello Youngwoon-ssi, nice to meet you" 

"Ahhh, just drop the formality. It's nice to finally meet you, Sungmin! Welcome to our humble home!! Come in come in! Hanna noona, look who's here!!" 

An elderly but beautiful woman came running down the front steps, smiling. 

"You are Sungmin? You are so pretty!! I'm Hanna, Kyuhyun's mother" 

"Hanna-ajumoni, nice to meet you. I bake some pumpkin pie for your family. I hope it's enough and it taste ok" 

"It's in here omma, I will bring the basket inside" Kyuhyun showed the basket to his mother. 

"Sungmin dear, just call me omma. And thank you for the pies! Wow, you bake yourself? I can't wait to try! Come in dear" Hanna held Sungmin's hand and pulled her gently towards their house. Sungmin glanced at Kyuhyun who also ushered her in. She felt shy but happy holding hands with Kyuhyun's mother. Though Sungmin is shy, she easily felt at ease with her. 

Kyuhyun's mother introduced Sungmin to everyone, including Youngwoon's wife, Jungsu-imu, and some other close relatives. 

"Noona, who bake the pies?? It's so delicious!!!" 

"Ryeowook, come, this is Sungmin. She's the one who bake those pumpkin pies! Sungmin, this is Ryeowook, my sister-in-law"

Sungmin bowed politely but when she straightened up, she found herself in a tight hug! 

"Ohmygod!! You are so pretty,!! Welcome to our family!!! Thank you for the wonderful pies!!!!" 

"Thank you, Ryeowook-ajumoni" 

"Aisshhhh, just call me imu" 

"Where's your baby? She must be very cute!" 

"Come here I show her to you" Ryeowook pulled her hand along. Sungmin loved babies because they are so cute, and when she saw Minyoung, she asked Ryeowook's permission to carry her. Minyoung seemed to like Sungmin too, she smile and yawned and looked cutely at Sungmin. She carried Minyoung out and was still cooing at her cuteness when Kyuhyun came over. 

"Wow, even Minyoung likes you" Kyuhyun laughed. He bend down and kissed Minyoung and looked up to a smiling Sungmin. He is happy that Sungmin loves children and somehow at that moment, he wished that they are married and have a family on their own. They were looking at each other smiling. 

"Heyyy you two, you look like a married couple!! Haha. 
Kim Kyu, introduce me to your girl! Hmmm you must be Sungmin?" 

"Hyung! When did you arrived?" Kyuhyun greeted his cousin, Heechul. "Yes, this is Sungmin. Sungmin, this is Heechul-hyung, Youngwoon-samchon's eldest son".

"Nice to meet you" Sungmin was still shy being mistakenly thought as Kyuhyun's girl. And the earlier look that Kyuhyun gave her after he kissed Minyoung, was a heart-stopping look. Did she saw love in his eyes? It can't be. Kyuhyun has a girlfriend, didn't he? He said he chose to stay because there's someone in his heart here. Talking about that girlfriend of his, where is she, by the way? 

Kyuhyun was talking to Heechul so Sungmin move away, still carrying Minyoung. The baby has fallen asleep in her arms. She looked so peaceful sleeping. 

"Sungmin, sit here with me!" Jungsu-imu called her. Jungsu-imu has nice dimples and very friendly too. 

"You must be tired carrying Minyoung.  Let me take over. You should eat something" Jungsu-imu offered her hand. 

"Ahhh imu thank you. I will eat later"

"I am so happy Kyuhyun decided to introduce you to our family. We heard a lot about you and my husband would endlessly about you too. You are so pretty! And thank you for the pies! It's so delicious!" 

"You are welcome about the pies. But imu, why did you say your husband would tease Kyuhyun about me? Shouldn't he tease Kyuhyun about his girlfriend?" 

"Girlfriend?" 

"Yes, well, Kyuhyun told me that he decided to stay in this village instead of working in the capital because there is someone here that he likes" Sungmin said softly. 

"My dear Sungmin. You are the one!  Kyuhyun decided not to accept the job that my son Heechul's boss offered to him because he wants to stay here so that he can see you"

"Me???? The person he likes is me all along??" Sungmin was dumbfounded...