The village girl

The ugly fish seller

It was past dusk when Sungmin reached her humble home. She sold fish crackers to villagers and even to neighbouring village 3 times a week. Eversince her parents died when she was small, she has been raised by her grandmother and she was the one who taught Sungmin to mix the fish, dry them, fry and pack in plastics ready to sell, to make a living. 

Sungmin got her fish supply from an ugly fish seller, who took over his father's business just recently, after his father has passed away. She didn't know his name, so she just called him Mr Cho, since it was their family name. He always looked dirty with fish blood everywhere on his shirt. 

Being a girl has several disadvantages. She was often taken advantage off by other fish sellers who purposely raise the price just to cheat her. She dare not fight these sellers eventhough she has a black belt in martial arts, because it would ruin her reputation as a fish crackers seller. 

Only the senior Mr Cho likes her and never cheated her, and now his son did the same, often gave her extra fishes. The junior Mr Cho was ugly, with pimples and scars on his chest, which she happened to see when he bend down to take something on the floor. He seldom talked to her except 'thank you' or 'have a good day', perhaps he was shy or purely untalkative, unlike the senior Mr Cho.

One afternoon, the clouds were dark to indicate heavy downpour soon. Sungmin has just finished buying her fish supplies from ugly Mr Cho, and for the first time, she saw that he has washed his face and looked cleaner, and what's more, he started talking to her! He has asked her whether she brought her stray hat or her umbrella to shield herself from the rain. She was still in awe that he was talking to her, and oh my, he has such a nice, velvety voice! Stuttering, she said "I, I, err, no I didn't bring a hat or or or an umbrella, but but it's ok, I can run home before it starts errr raining...". She bowed and ran off! 

It started raining and she curse and swear that she really didn't bring anything to shield her. Some villagers were running too, to quickly reached their home, but Sungmin's home was still quite a distance away. She stopped to get a temporary shelter under a shed. 

Suddenly, a voice was next to her "Hi, you can use this umbrella. Come, let me walk you to your home". 

"Oh you scared me! How did you reached here so fast?" 

"I'm sorry if I scared you. I knew you didn't have any shield, so I ran after you, and was glad that you stopped so that I can pass this umbrella to you".

"Thank you, so nice of you. I'm sorry to trouble you, but really, I can run home in the rain, it's ok with me". 

"No, use this umbrella. Or we can share. Let's go? I walked you home". 

"You don't have to. Errr, what about your fishes?" 

"I've sold them all, and kept some for you, which were those that you bought just now. So, shall we go?" 

"Okayyy, if it's not too troublesome". 

"Not at all! Let me carry your fish basket" and young Mr Cho took them from her hands. Their hands touched and Sungmin felt like there were some electricity passing through but she dismissed her thoughts, telling herself it must be the rain. 

They started walking in the rain, side by side. Young Mr Cho shielded her more, so much so that he ended up getting more wet than her. 

"It's the next turn" Sungmin told him and felt a bit regret because their walk would end soon. Though nervous and speechless, she did enjoyed his company. He was so caring and kept ensuring that she stayed dry. 

Sungmin searched for her house key to unlock her door once they have reached outside her humble home. "Mr Cho, I can't thank you enough for sheltering me from the rain and walking me home. Please come in and have a hot tea before you go. You can dry your clothing by the fire too" Sungmin said once she has unlocked her door. 

"Oh, so nice of you, thank you. Where do you want me to put these fishes? And please call me Kyuhyun" Mr Cho walked in with her and looked around the small house. 

'Kyuhyun', what a nice name and matches his velvety voice, Sungmin thought. "You can place the basket in the sink there. Thank you so much, err, Kyuhyun. I'm Sungmin by the way, Lee Sungmin" Sungmin said shyly. 

"I know heehee. My dad told me your name and always talked about you" Kyuhyun laughed, because Sungmin looked shocked that he knew her name all along. 

"Really? What did your late father talked about me?" Sungmin asked, surprised that the late Mr Cho talked about her. 

"Yeah, dad always told me to kept fishes for you on Wednesdays and Fridays, and don't sell too expensive, and that you are a very hard working girl, and you live alone..." he said while sitting near the fireplace to dry himself. 

"I see..." Sungmin said while boiling water to make some tea. "I'm sorry about your dad. He was a good man and very kind to me" she pour a cup of tea for Kyuhyun. 

 "Thank you Sungmin. Yes I do missed him sometimes. I am glad that I decided to stay here, at least I can continue what he did for a living. My uncle offered to take over, but I am his son, it's my responsibility to take over his stall".

"Your uncle sell fishes too?" 

"No, he catches fish. Uncle Kim is a fisherman. He's my mum's younger brother. So I got my fish supplies from him".

"Ahhh, so it's all in the family. You were saying that you glad that you decided to stay. Were you staying some place else?" 

"I was a scholar at Sungkyunkwan. Once I completed my studies, I returned back home. In between my studies, I did come home too and helped my dad, that was how I learn his trade" 

"Wow, you were a scholar?? You should work at the government's office as an officer. Why would you want to stay here in our village?" 

"Hmmm, let's say there is someone here that I'm eyeing for" Kyuhyun smile. 

Sungmin's heart dropped. Ohh so he has someone in his heart already. She must be a beautiful maiden if she could capture a scholar's heart, Sungmin thought... 

​​​​​​