Burnt

The ugly fish seller

It was the last Saturday before Kyuhyun started working in the city. He was scheduled to leave on Sunday morning with his cousin, Heechul, and stay with him for a few days before he got his own accommodation. Sungmin was invited for a family lunch on that Saturday and she had baked apple pies for the family.

Kyuhyun could already smell the delicious aroma of the pies when he reached Sungmin's door to bring her to his home for the lunch. Though he felt sad that he couldn't see her for the week, he consoled himself that this was going as per his plan, which was to have a proper job with good income. Jungsu-imu would take over the fish stall and she was already looking forward to it as she could meet Sungmin regularly when she collected her fishes. 

When Sungmin opened her door and smile sweetly at him, he just melted. Closing the door, he hugged her and kissed her. 

They hold hands all the way to Kyuhyun's house, and secretly hold hands when seated at the table. Even when Kyuhyun sent her back at night, they were still holding hands. Before Kyuhyun left, he gave her a gold necklace with a sapphire blue pendant and put it on for Sungmin. It was lovely and Sungmin, though surprised at the gift initially, felt very happy and love it a lot. She thanked and hugged Kyuhyun and then wish him all the best for his new job. Kyuhyun felt heavy-hearted to leave her but he has to go. He needed to sleep early for the journey tomorrow. And Sungmin tried hard not to cry after they kissed goodbye and Kyuhyun made her promised to take care of herself and that to inform the family if she needed help with anything. 

Early Friday morning before the first weekend after Kyuhyun left, Sungmin suddenly jolted up from her sleep because she smelt burning. There were loud tapped and banging at her door and when she quickly opened it, two of her neighbours told her one of their neighbours' house caught fire and Sungmin should packed anything that she could and fled her house because the fire was rapidly spreading. Her two neighbours urged her to do it quickly and that they would wait for her. 

Sungmin panicked. She took her personal things, some change of clothing and shoved all these into her carrier bag. When she reached her door, she her necklace but it wasn't at her neck. She recalled that she had taken it off before she slept and it was on her dressing table. Her neighbours shouted at her for running back into her room but she has to. It was Kyuhyun's gift. 

Grabbing the necklace and put it on, her leg somehow got entangled with something and she fell face down. Her neighbours shouted for help because the fire has spread to her house. They tried to get to her but couldn't due to the spreading fire and smoke, until another neighbour managed to pull her out. By now, the fire truck had arrived and the villagers helped to put out the fire.

Casualties were treated but some villagers who were badly injured were taken away to a hospital nearby. One person died due to 1st degree burnt and the police identified the person as Park Song Meng. The news of the fire reached Kyuhyun's family and they were concerned about Sungmin's safety. Youngwoon and Jongwoon went over to the burning village to find Sungmin and brought her back to their home. 

When the two Kims reached the village, they were shocked as the whole village cluster were mostly burnt down. They started to look for Sungmin and called her name. They found an uncle crying in front of Sungmin's house. 

"Song Meng... why didn't you wait for me, why didn't you wait..." and he continued to cry. 

"Ajushi, who is the person who didn't wait for you?" Jongwoon bent down to sit next to the uncle to console him. 

The uncle cried and said in a muffled voice "Song Meng.... she died...... she died in the fire..." and he cried again. 

"Huh??? Hyung... Sungmin..." Jongwoon was devastated. He couldn't believed that Sungmin died in the fire. Youngwoon and Jongwoon hugged each other. They felt so sad that the person they beginning to accept as their family, has gone to the afterworld.

Once they reached home, they told the shocking news to the family. Mrs Cho couldn't believe the news and urged the two brothers to find out more detail. Ryeowook and Jungsu were crying their eyes out for losing Sungmin whom they had beginning to love as their family member. They didn't know how to break the news to Kyuhyun. He was so in love with Sungmin. 

Most of the injured villagers were brought to Myungyung Hospital and treated for 3rd degree burnt and difficulties in breathing due to inhaling too much smoke. When Sungmin regain consciousness, she felt pain on her right hand and legs. 

"Min! You've waken up! We were so worried when you ran back in to your room! And the fire spread to your house, we couldn't even get in!" Yuri, Sungmin's neighbour, told her. 

"Am I badly hurt?" Sungmin asked Yuri and another neighbour, Yoona. 

"You fall down, so you got bruises on your forehead, you got 3rd degree burnt on your right arm and right leg. Doctor said you need to stay here until your skin dried up and heal" Yoona told Sungmin. 

"Where are we?" Sungmin asked. 

"At Myungyung Hospital. By the way, Min, the government would re-build our house for free and offered us some compensation. Isn't it great? The problem is now, we have to stay temporarily at the community hall" Yuri said. 

"How are you two? Are you two ok?" 

"We only have minor burns. We are alright, don't worry" Yoona showed Sungmin her scratches and some skin peeling which made her whole arm became red. 

"By the way, Min, do you have anybody to inform?  We can help you to pass the message. Every hour the head of our village will update everyone of the injuries and who can be discharged. He put the notice board at the community hall" Yuri informed her. 

Sungmin thought of Kyuhyun's family. She didn't want to alarm them and she wasn't sure whether they knew about the fire. 

Making up her mind to inform them as per her promise to Kyuhyun, she said "Yes, the Kim family. I will write down their names and the address" she hope that they won't be too worried about her, especially Kyuhyun, who would be coming back the next day.

"Great, I hope they will drop by the community hall to see the notice board" Yoona said and asked the nurse for a paper and a pen. 

The atmosphere at the Kim family was sombre, especially on Saturday morning when Kyuhyun was supposed to return back. Jungsu had heard that the villagers were in community hall and urged her husband to go there with her to see whether Sungmin was alright. When she was at the fish stall, she heard from neighbouring stalls that the  person who passed on was Park Song Meng, so she has high hope that Sungmin was still alive. 

They went to the community hall early morning and when they asked around for Lee Sungmin, they were told to check the notice board. The notice board has a long list of villagers who got injured and who was still in the hospital. Jungsu was jumping with joy when they saw Sungmin's name!! 

"Jagi-ya, look! She's still alive! Ohh thank God!! She's in Myungyung hospital!!" Jungsu was hugging her husband with tears in her eyes. 

"Oh thank goodness. Let's visit her now!" Youngwoon pulled his wife hand. 

Sungmin managed to finish her breakfast and lie down again. She felt dizzy because of her bruise on her head and had asked for a painkiller when the nurses were here to change her bandages after applying medications on her burnt. 

She heard some voices asking for her name, and she turned around to see. 

"Sungmin!!!! Oh my goodness I am so happy that you are alright!!" suddenly Jungsu-imu came hugging her and behind her Youngwoon-samchun was smiling happily. 

"Imu!!! How did you know I am here? I am alright, Imu. Got burnt on my right arm and leg. A bit of bruise on my head" she showed Jungsu her bandaged hand. 

"How are you Sungmin?" Youngwoon asked her. 

"A bit dizzy today but I am alright, thank you Youngwoon-samchun. 

"I heard about the fire and that the villagers were given temporary shelter at the community hall. Then we saw your name on the notice board! We were so happy to find you!!. We will inform the family that you are here. Oh yes, and Kyuhyun too. He's coming back today" 

"I hope he is not too worried about me. Tell him I am fine, Imu" 

"We will leave you now and we will be bring the rest to visit you. You rest now ok dear" Jungsu hugged her again. 

The truth is, they needed to rush home to be there when Kyuhyun reached home to tell him the good news before the family told him the wrong info about the 'death'. 

Kyuhyun felt strange when he stepped in and the house was quiet. Normally it was buzzing with activities. 

"Omma? I'm home!" 

His mother run to him and hugged him. He was surprised as he was oy away for a week. Even Ryeowook-imu was teary eye. Wow, everybody missed me? He was laughing at himself. 

"I am alright Omma, why, did you worry too much?" he looked at his mother who started to cry. "Is there anything wrong?" 

"Kyu.... the village around Sungmin's house were on fire yesterday morning.." 

"Ohhh, how did it happened, how is Sungmin? Is her house burnt too? Where is she now?" 

"Sungmin is....." 

"Sungmin is alright! She got some 3rd degrees burnt and bruise, but she is alright!" Jungsu happily appeared at the doorway. 

"Really Jungsu?? You saw her?" Mrs Cho breath out with a sighed of relieved. Ryeowook ran over and hugged Mrs Cho. They were so relieved to know that Sungmin is still alive! 

"We just came from visiting her at Myungyung hospital after we saw her name at the notice board at the Community Hall"

"How is she imu? I want to visit her" Kyuhyun was worried and wanted to dash off. 

"Wait Kyu, I want to go too" his mother stopped him. 

"Let's all go together!" Ryeowook chipped in and called her husband. 

"Come let's go" Youngwoon waved at them to follow him into his truck. 

The burnt areas on her arm and leg were very painful when the meds wear off and Sungmin has to bear the pain until the next medications which now she has just taken, and she lie down because she felt like floating. She closed her eyes and drifted off and felt that she was already in dreamland because she heard Kyuhyun's voice. His voice seemed very far and she felt her hands were being held by him. She wanted to call him, but strangely she couldn't find her voice. 

She heard him calling her name again and now it seemed to be coming from just besides her. She gathered her strength and called his name "Kyu.." 

"I'm here, I'm here, Min" 

"Kyu?" Sungmin opened her eyes and true enough, Kyuhyun was beside her, holding her hands with a worried look. 

"How are you? I got a shock when I hear about the fire"

"I'm alright, Kyu, don't worry. Just some burnt and bruises" Sungmin smile. Kyuhyun soothed her hair and kissed her forehead and then kissed her hands. Sungmin smile shyly at him. 

"Sungmin!! How are you dear? We were so worried about you when we heard about the fire yesterday" Mrs Cho's face came to view next to Kyuhyun. 

"Omma!" and then she also saw Ryeowook and the rest too next to her on the other side of her bed. She smile at them "I am so sorry I make you all so worried". 

"Silly, it's not your fault! We are very thankful that you are safe" Ryeowook said while sitting down on the bed. Kyuhyun helped Sungmin to sit up on the bed and put some pillows on her back so that she could sit back, and also gave way for his mum to sit on the side of the bed, eventhough he didn't feel like moving away from Sungmin. 

"Sungmin, when you are discharged from the hospital, I want you to stay with us" Mrs Cho said and when Sungmin wanted to say something "No, I don't take no for an answer. We can look after you until your wounds are fully heal". 

"Omma, I don't want to trouble you" 

"You are no trouble to me dear. I've already regarded you as my daughter"

"Daughter-in-law, eonnie!" Jungsu corrected her sister-in-law, which made everybody laughed. Sungmin felt so shy and glance at Kyuhyun, who smile back at her. 

Kyuhyun was happy that his plan works. On the way to the hospital, he had asked his mother to ask Sungmin to stay with them after her discharged so that he won't be too worried. If Kyuhyun were the one who asked, surely Sungmin would reject him. He already plan to clean his room for Sungmin to stay, and he would share Heechul's room for the time being, as he would only be back during weekends. 

"Alright, Omma, I will stay with all of you. I just hope I didn't trouble anybody too much" 

Ryeowook clapped her hands happily and Mrs Cho hugged Sungmin. Jungsu, Youngwoon and Jongwoon smile and nodded happily too. Kyuhyun breathe a sigh of relief. He and Sungmin would soon be under the same roof! He smile happily to himself.