Telling the truth

The ugly fish seller

Lunch was noisy, with Minhyuk disturbing Minyeong and little  Seungie crying for milk, probably because everybody were munching something and he didn't, so Sungmin quickly finished her meal and took over from Kyuhyun who was carrying him, to feed their son in their room. The elders were talking about Kyuhyun taking over the company, emphasising the benefits and coaxing him to think seriously about it. Kyuhyun promised to come to a decision soon.

The had apple pies made by Sungmin and coffee next, and it was then that Heechul decided to tell the family, especially now that it was more quieter without the kids. Sungmin was feeding Seungie in her room, and Ryeowook was putting Minyeong to sleep.

"Hmm, appa and omma, and imu, I want to tell you something" Heechul started. Kyuhyun looked at him and tried to warn him, but Heechul signalled with his eyes that it was alright, that he prepared to get scolding. 

"Yes, Chul, what is it? You want to join Kyuhyun to run the company?" Jungsu asked jokingly. Though she was hopeful that Heechul would do just that, but she knew that her son was not interested to run their family business. 

"Actually...." 

"Yes Chul, go ahead. You want to get married? Bring the girl home" Youngwoon laughed. 

"Honey, let him talk.." Jungsu told Youngwoon. 

"I.... I wanted to say that, the guy that I, errm, I brought along when I visited Sungmin, is... " Heechul looked up at his parents "is my boyfriend". There, he said it. He finally said it. 

"As in male friend?" Jungsu asked, confused. 

"As in boyfriend. We love each other, and we..." but before he could finished his sentence, suddenly a tight slap landed on his cheek. He looked up, alarmed. His father, Youngwoon, has slapped him with a red angry face. 

Kyuhyun was alarmed that his samchon slapped his own son. He quickly got up and held back Youngwoon from slapping Heechul again. 

"Honey, calm down and listen to our son's explanation" Jungsu said nervously. The last time Youngwoon was this angry was when their stall got robbed and he chased after the robber. He ended up with cardiac arrest and eventually fainted and was admitted to the hospital.

"Did you hear what your son just said? Do you know what's that mean? He is gay! Our son is in a same gender relationship! How can he do that to us!! Where do I put my face now??!!!" Youngwoon shouted at his wife. 

Mrs Cho got up too and held Jungsu who had started sobbing. 

"Samchon, please, calm down" Kyuhyun held his uncle and tried to get him to sit down. 

"Appa, omma, I am so sorry, but I am like this. I like men, and he is the one that I love" 

Youngwoon wanted to slap his son again but was stopped by Kyuhyun. "Samchon, we are in the era where same gender relationship has been accepted in other parts of the world. Love doesn't know gender. Love comes from the heart and you can't stop it once you had fallen in love. Heechul hyung loves someone, it's just that the person is a guy". 

"Kyu, you young people maybe accept this kind of relationship, but I don't. I cannot accept it. How should I tell the villagers who asked 'When is your son getting married?' Am I supposed to say 'oh he is not because he loves another man??' I am so ashame of him!"

"Honey, don't say like that, he is our son after all" Jungsu said whole sobbing. Mrs Cho put her arms around her. 

"Heechul, leave this place. Come back again when I feel better and can think. I don't want to see your face now" Youngwoon said with a calmer voice. 

Kyuhyun signalled to Heechul to go. He will called him when he returned to the city. Heechul nodded and went to his mum to hugged her, then took his bag and leave. 

Youngwoon held his chest and sat down. Kyuhyun looked at him with concerned and ask "Samchon, are you alright? Where are your medications?" Kyuhyun turned to Jungsu who by now also noticed that her husband became breathless. She quickly ran to their room and took his medications. Mrs Cho poured warm water and they coaxed Youngwoon to take his medications and drank the warm water. 

"Imu, I think you better bring him to lie down, or better still, to sleep.  He needs to rest and calm down" Kyuhyun told his aunt softly. Jungsu nodded and helped her husband up and walked with him to their room so that he could lie down. 

"Kyu, do you know about this? That Heechul is going out with Tg at guy?" Mrs Cho asked Kyuhyun. 

"Yes, hyung told me recently. I kept telling him to stay low and not to tell his parents first. But he insist to tell so that he got nothing to hide" Kyuhyun sat down next to his mum. "Gunhee-hyung is a nice guy, omma, and he owns a cafe. Hyung brought me there for breakfast and to introduce Gunhee-hyung to me". 

"Though I only met him once in Sungmin's ward, I feel that he is a nice person too. Humble and respectful. Very suitable to tame the wild Heechul" Mrs Cho smile. 

Kyuhyun chuckled. Yes, he agreed with his mum that his hyung has been on the wild side. He preferred to enjoy himself rather than sell fish, like Kyuhyun. 

"Omma, I think I will take up the offer to run our company" Kyuhyun turned to his mum. 

"Really Kyu?? Ohhh I'm so happy and proud of you!!" Mrs Cho held his arms happily. 

"But omma, I want to have a brand name for our fishes because I want people to remember our fishes, and know the quality and will come back and buy from us again". 

"Suits yourself, I am okay with any brand. What do you have in mind?". 

"Ugly Fish" 

"Huh??" 

"It's just the brand, omma, but our fishes are not ugly. People will talk about it and once they know about the quality of our fishes, 'ugly fish' will become a household name!!" 

"But why 'Ugly Fish' ? 

Kyuhyun laughed "Actually, that was what Sungmin called me last time when I was still selling our fishes at our Village Street Market. She called me Ugly Fish seller because she happened to see my scar".

"Oh but that scar was because..." 

"Yes, she knew the truth later on when I told her how I got that scar, and she cried non-stop because I got this while trying to save her parents".

"I'm ok with 'ugly fish'. You discuss with Youngwoon first when he's better alright?" 

"I will omma. Ok I need to get ready to go back to the city" 

"Kyu, have a talk with Chul. I know he will not leave Gunhee-ssi, so tell Chul to bring him here to formally introduce him to the family. Not now but when Youngwoon is better. Just give him sometime to come to terms and accept the truth" 

"I will omma. Yes I hope that everything will turn out fine. But if samchon still cannot accept them, what should we do?" 

"I will have to step in and talk to Youngwoon. He must remember that he was gay too last time but he changed his way after he met Jungsu. Of all people, he should understand his son" Mrs Cho said, telling Kyuhyun a secret that she has kept for so many years. 

"What???" Kyuhyun was shocked!