Painful

The ugly fish seller

It was that time of the month again and Sungmin was rolling on her bed due to her cramps. She didn't understand why on certain months her cramps were bearable but on certain months her cramps felt like dying. And to top it all, today was the first day of her period and she ran out of pain killers.

Her grandmother told her that it runs in the family, all the women has bad cramps and Sungmin was no exception. She hated the cramps. She couldn't do any work and she had no appetite to eat. She had tried bathing in warm water to ease the cramps but after a while it came back again.

She heard someone knocking on her door. She wanted to tell her neighbour that she don't have to give her food because she got no appetite to eat. The knocking continues, so she dragged her feet towards her door so that she could informed her neighbour to keep the food.

When she opened her door, "Sungmin!! What happened? Are you sick?" Kyuhyun rushed in and hold her, checking her forehead and neck.

"Kyuhyun? You are back?"

"Yes. Oh my God, Min, you looked so pale. What happened?"

"Nothing, just our woman thing. I have severe cramps, and I ran out of pain killers, and I got no appetite to eat"

"Ohhhh. Ok then sit down. Omma gave you some porridge, I'm going to heat it up and feed you"

"Kyu, it's okay, I have no appetite" 

"No, you have to eat. Just wait here" and he went to her kitchen to heat up the porridge. Sungmin heard some pots shuffling meaning Kyuhyun was trying to find a pot to pour and heated up the porridge. She smile to herself knowing that Kyuhyun cared so much for her. 

"Here you go. Warm porridge and warm water" Kyuhyun put down both and started scooping a spoonful of porridge and slowly blew at it to make it cooler. 

"I can eat myself, Kyu" 

"No I feed you" and Kyuhyun waited for her to open . 

The porridge was delicious and warm. She forced it down so as not to disappoint Kyuhyun. Before long, her cramps felt more bearable and she attempted to eat herself but her hand got pushed aside and Kyuhyun shook his head, meaning that he wanted to feed her all the way. 

"Is it always like this? The cramps, I mean" 

"Not every month. My grandmother said the cramps will mostly lessen off after the woman had given birth" 

"Ahhh I see, good then. That means after we get married, we need to have a baby as soon as possible" Kyuhyun said with a naughty smile.

Sungmin was surprised but smile shyly. She didn't expect Kyuhyun could think that far. To divert the topic, Sungmin asked instead "How was your job interview?" 

Kyuhyun smile amusingly. He was just teasing Sungmin but he knew that Sungmin purposely changed the topic because she was still shy talking about marriage. So he answered her "It went well. I can start working there full time the beginning of next month"

"That means I could only see you on weekends" Sungmin said sadly. 

"Not if you come along with me" 

"How to. I can't possibly stay with you in the city. And Kyu, we need to..." 

"Take one step at a time. I know..." 

"Then..." 

"Sungmin, I am really serious about marrying you. I don't mean we will get married in a month's time. What I mean is, yes, I start work in the city first, and yes, we only see each other on weekends, but it will be only for a few weekends. We can arrange the wedding a few months after I start work, so after the wedding, you can join me in the city".

"Am I good enough for you? I'm an orphan, no relatives, not rich, not highly educated, not pretty, not tall..." and she has to stop because Kyuhyun kissed her. 

"Min, it doesn't matter. To me, you are the most beautiful girl and the only one in my heart. I missed you. Very much!" Kyuhyun said and hugged her. And he added "is your cramps better now?" 

"I missed you too" Sungmin said truthfully, and added "The cramps are bearable now. I guess the porridge helps. Say thank you to Omma for the porridge". 

"I will. You should try to sleep. I will bring the fishes tomorrow. Youngwoon-samchon has kept some for you and there are some more porridge for you if you want to eat tonight".

"Alright, thank you, Kyu. As for the fishes, I can take from you at your stall tomorrow"

"No, you rest. I will bring it here, don't worry about it. What are boyfriends for, right? Haha"  he laughed and bend down to kiss her.  "I love you, Min" he said, looking at her. His fingers caressing her cheeks and smiling lovingly at her surprised expression. He loved it when she gave him that surprise look. Her eyes were so round and lovely. So beautiful. 

"Kyu, I..." 

"Hmmm? Why are you so surprised? You didn't expect me to say it so soon? I love you, Sungmin, truly truly love you!" 

Sungmin smile shyly at him. Though she felt the same, she was too shy to say it. The love coming from Kyuhyun was pouring to her like a waterfall. So abundance, so strong yet so beautiful. She felt beautiful. She felt happy. She felt loved. 

"Kyu, I... love you too..."

And Kyuhyun hugged her because he was too happy. He didn't understand himself why was there a rush. They could take it easy. But he couldn't. He wanted to hold her everyday. He wanted to be with her every day. He wanted to see her everyday. He wanted her to know how much she meant to him. He wanted to give her all the happiness in the world. 

He left Sungmin's home feeling like he left his heart there. He had waited for Sungmin to change for bed, ate the porridge again and lie down to rest. They had kissed again before he left. He couldn't imagine how would he survive not seeing her for the entire week when he started working. 

He was worried about Sungmin's monthly cramps. He found out from Jungsu-imu that if a woman has severe cramps during her period, it means that she is very fertile. She endlessly that he would be a father in no time after their marriage. But seriously speaking, Jungsu-imu gave him some tips to inform Sungmin on how to lessen the cramps, which was not to drink coconut water before her period and not to eat pineapples. She told him that she would boil some herbs for Sungmin to drink before her period. 

Kyuhyun smile to himself. Though it was true that he wanted to start a family as soon as they are married, but he need to consider Sungmin's readiness to be a mother. Thinking about Sungmin made his heart yearn for her. How could he missed her so much if he just came home after seeing her? Is this the norm when people are in love? Whoever said being in love is beautiful is bluffing. It is so painful...