Wild geese and a cup of gourd dipper

The ugly fish seller

Kyuhyun was told by his two aunts that he cannot see Sungmin for the whole night when he reached home on that Friday night and before their wedding, which would be the whole morning on Saturday. He complained to his mum but his mum said the same thing. What the hell! He didn't see his Sungmin the whole week and missed her a lot, and they barred him from seeing her!!

Part of the reason was that they had decorated Sungmin's room to be the bridal room, and partly because as per their village tradition, the groom cannot see the bride till the wedding ceremony.  So the aunts would bring food and drinks to Sungmin so that she could hide inside her room, away from Kyuhyun.

There was one time when Kyuhyun was dragged to the verandah by his uncle, and when he happened to looked back, he caught a glimpse of Sungmin, being escorted to go to the washroom! Sighing, he told himself to be patient, patient, patient. 

The wedding day was hectic.  Mrs Cho started to get panicky when their food was not ready, yet some guests had started arriving. Jungsu told her sister-in-law not to panic and assured her that all food would be ready within the hour. 

Heechul walked in to their room and saw Kyuhyun "Heyyy Kim-Kyu, wow, you look so good in traditional clothing. So dashingly handsome, like an emperor!!" Heechul praised him honestly and hugged him. Indeed, Kyuhyun looked so radiant and so handsome, and he was smiling happily at his cousin's compliment.

"Thank you, hyung" and he added "hyung, did you invite Gunhee-ssi?"

"Yes, but I will just introduce him to father and the rest of the family, as my friend. He should be coming soon"

"And please keep your hands away from him...."

Heechul playfully punched Kyuhyun, and they both laughed.

The ceremony would start in another half an hour's time. Kyuhyun walked out to get ready and stand in their courtyard. Korean traditional wedding ceremony is full of colors and excitements. Fifty and some shades of colors in the traditional house’s courtyard and traditional live music have a power to make anyone to dance in their heart. 

Eventhough the Koreans have this valuable tradition, for certain period of time, having a traditional wedding was considered old-fashioned, especially those who stayed in the city. But to the villagers here, they would always uphold this precious tradition, and Kyuhyun has nothing to complain about.

In another 30 minutes, the ceremony would start, and he would be married to the love of his life, Sungmin. He couldn't wait to  see his bride, and to start a new chapter in his life. A lot of guests came forward to him to offer their congratulations, and praised his good looks and started some short conversations before they went back to their seats.

Youngwoon-samchon gave a short speech, and started the ceremony. A group of traditional dances started dancing and the whole villagers started clapping their hands along with the beating of the drums.

Jongwoon-samchon led Kyuhyun to the courtyard entrance to get ready. As per tradition, the groom would enter the courtyard with a girukabi (which in this case it was Jongwoon-samchon who led the way with the wedding geese, and acted as the best man). The girukabi hands the geese to the groom.

The Groom place the wild geese on a table and bowing twice to his mother, as Sungmin has no parents, Kyuhyun bowed to his own mother instead of mother-in-law. 

His mother then took the wild geese into the house. The wild geese symbolizes harmony and love between husband and wife. Wild geese (it’s actually mandarin duck, to be exact) mate for life: they keep their promises of love and never find another if they lost their partner.

The groom stood on the east, and smile, because finally Sungmin appeared!! The bride walked to the west side of the wedding table. The helpers (Jungsu-imu and Ryeowook-imu) washed the hands of bride and groom. Their two aunts spread the mat on the yard for each other.

Kyuhyun tried to catch a glimpse of Sungmin's face, but as it was partially covered, Kyuhyun has no choice but to patiently went through the full tradition. Groom bows, then the bride and groom stand on the mat, facing each other (Sungmin holds her hands to cover her face, and she was chuckling and smiling naughtily to hide from Kyuhyun's view, knowing that Kyuhyun was trying to see her face). 

The actual wedding ceremony commenced. First, bride bows twice and groom bows back once. Bride bows twice again, then groom makes a deep bow and kneel down. The bowing represents the promise of commitment to each other.

The two aunts prepare rice wine and side dishes. The groom bows again, then bride and groom present the drink and side dishes to the sky (to the greater existence who’s looking down on everyone).

The aunts poured the drink. After groom bows, bride and groom raise their cup. The aunts filled the cup which made of gourd dipper and groom bows. Then the bride and groom exchange gourd dipper.  The two halves of gourd dipper represent the bride and groom to be one whole with one another.

For the Seong-hon-rye ceremony, the wedding family prepared jujubes (Korean dates) and chestnuts, which symbolize children. The ceremony begins with Kyuhyun's mother seated on cushions behind a table in front of a painted screen, with the newlyweds opposite them. The newlyweds perform a deep bow.

Both bride and groom offers the cup of rice wine to Mrs Cho. And she will slowly throw the jujubes and chestnuts back at the couple, whereby Sungmin has to try to catch them with her wedding skirt. It was fun and full of laughter as everybody, especially Kyuhyun, would encourage the bride to catch as many as possible, to have many children! 

Bride and groom bows to their families and guests and after the Seong-hon-rye, which is the declaration of wedding, they are finally married! They sat at the mat, and removing Sungmin's head-dress, Kyuhyun finally saw his beautiful bride. Sungmin looked so beautiful and he was mesmerised for a while, until Heechul shouted "Kiss her kiss her!" and everybody laughed and started cheering. Kyuhyun reached over and kissed his bride. 

"More later" he whispered, smiling at Sungmin who got shy and looked down. The whole family helped them up and arranged themselves to take photos with the wedding couple. 

It was late at night when they managed to clean up after all guests and closed families had left. Though everybody was tired, they still sat around to have a drink and did a toast for the wedding couple. After that, they naughtily pushed Kyuhyun and Sungmin into their bridal room and told them that they would not be disturbed and they could sleep till Sunday afternoon! 

In the bridal room, after Sungmin had cleaned up herself, she changed into a beautiful nightgown which was a present from Jungsu-imu. Kyuhyun, who had also changed, slowly walked up to her and hugged her from behind. 

"I missed you, Min. And I am so happy that you are mine now. I promise you that I will make you happy and that we will go through everything together. I love you so much!!" 

Sungmin turned around in his arms to face him. She rest her head on Kyuhyun's chest and said "I love you too, Kyu. Please guide me and teach me so that I can be a good wife to you and go through everything with you" and she looked up at Kyuhyun "I'm yours and yours only". 

Kyuhyun kissed his wife passionately and scooped her up and carried her to their bridal bed.  It was a beautiful night for them as they started their journey as husband and wife.