"Love is Painful"

Glass Beads and Her Fingertip

Eunha harmonized with Yerin, SinB, Umji, and Yuju. It was another late night at the glee club. Everyone was frantically practicing their songs for the benefit concert that was happening on Friday. Youjin walked up to them, holding a box of cigarettes. "You guys wanna ditch practice and go to pulgogi?" 

Umji smiled at him, shaking her head. "That wouldn't solve anything, Youjin. We're all not rebellious like you are." SinB shielded the youngest member, Yuju standing in front of them before Youjin. Eunha rolled her eyes and continued practicing the song. 

"He's not that bad of a guy. Maybe we should take a break," Eunha sighed. Her phone buzzed in her pocket. She reached for it and fished it out quickly. Her mother had texted her to come to the hospital as soon as possible. She looked at everyone. "I guess we can go before I go to the hospital." 

"Pulgogi here we come!" Youjin cheered as Hee Jun jumped onto his back. 

-----

After eating, Eunha and SinB ran to the hospital. It was 7:00, but they allowed them through the doors. The doctors were crowded over Sowon as the life line on the motor kept beeping. Sowon's eyes were closed and a gauge was on . Eunha clapsed her hand over . Was it over? Was she dead? She wasn't, but she was barely holding on. The doctors were fighting over her condition. Eunha's mother and Teacher Youngsun were sitting down by the window. Eunha's mother quickly stood up, arranging her clothing. "Eunha, she was gone for a minute. They thought they lost her, but she's alright." 

Eunha breathed in relief. "Is she still able to talk?" 

"Yes." Teacher Youngsun watched Sowon from the corner of her eye. "But, her ability to speak is very limited. Her time for just vocalizing should be up soon."

"The cancer is closing in on her very fast," the doctor said from his clipboard. He picked up a pen from his pocket and began scribbling down on it. "She has a chance to live. The surgical procedures are always guaranteed to work." 

"We'll have the money by Thursday." Eunha looked at her mother and Teacher Youngsun. "Thursday should be enough time for her to just get through it right?" 

"More than enough time." The doctor clicked his pen. "Alright, colleagues, out. We have other patients to tend to. We'll leave Sojung's visitors alone with her for a while."

Everyone relaxed in relief as Sowon rested. Everything was going to be okay. The line still kept going on the monitor. Sowon was a fighter. Eunha held her hand tightly. Sowon woke up. "Oh...can I speak to you and SinB alone..." The adults left the room. Sowon sighed. "I don't think I want to live anymore. This is too much." 

"What is too much, Sowon?" SinB asked. She placed her hands on her hips. "We want you to live."

"But what is the point in living without me doing what I want to do?" 

"I rather have a mute girlfriend than a dead one," Eunha said. 

Sowon laughed uneasily. She held . Then she continued to talk. "I don't really have any fight left in me to stop you. If you want to keep at the pace you are in with me, then keep going." She pat her head. "See this, my hair is falling out. You still want to be with someone like me? I'm depressed. And I have cancer."  

"Yes. Because I love you." 

Sowon shook her head. "SinB, when I die, please take care of Eunha." 

"You're not dying, Sojung." SinB was crying and shaking in anger. "You aren't. You can't. We're going to make that money and you're going to survive." 

Sowon just kept laughing. "Piss off and go home, you two. I'll see you guys tomorrow if you choose to visit."

-------

"I can't believe her." Eunha collapsed onto her bed between SinB and Yerin. It was late at night. SinB was still awake though Yerin was snoozing across from her. Her heart was shook with anger as she hummed the song they had prepared for the concert. The clock said 3 o clock AM. Her heart sank to her feet as she knew that it was difficult trying to sleep. Her heart was shaking hard in her chest. was heavy. She felt like the world was closing in on her. 

The sun rose at 6:00AM and she noticed that it was time for her to get ready to leave.Her friends were already dressed and almost out the door. But, Eunha couldn't move. Her phone was ringing loudly.