"Some Things Just Won't Change"

Glass Beads and Her Fingertip

"Let's go in there." 

Eunha was walking with SinB on the streets of Seoul. SinB paused in her footsteps and looked inside. It was a crafts store that was holding glass beads for a good sales price. SinB opened the door for Eunha and she followed her inside. They were pretty multi-colored glass beads. Eunha got a basket and picked up a few. SinB furrowed her brow. "What are those for?" Eunha paid for the beads and also got a string from the cashier. She looked at SinB with a smile playing on her lips. 

"I'm going to make a gift for Sowonnie." Eunha lifted the bag up. Humming their way to the train, they noticed that the sun was going down. 

"Damnit, how am I going to make it in time to see her?" Eunha whined. She checked her watch. It was going on 5:30. The train was trudging along the rail slowly. "Come on, train." 

SinB held her hands together. "So, what are you trying to make Eunha?" They boarded the train and sat together. Eunha began placing the beads onto the string. She began singing "soulmate" by Shinhwa  under her breath. Looping and knotting the beads together so that they would stay put. "Ah, that's a bracelet. How pretty." She watched Eunha's hands adjust the beads and finally concluded the circle. It looked beautiful. Eunha raised the bracelet to view it in the last bits of sunlight left. It shined. 

After they got off the train, they ran to the hospital and checked in. The hospital room was locked though. 

"Looks like they're still under procedure." Eunha peeped in. "There's a lot of people in the room." She stood on her tip-toes. SinB peeped in too. Teacher Moon and Teacher Youngsun were also there on the bench waiting. They didn't say a word until Eunha saw them together. "Is she alright?" 

Teacher  Moon adjusted her tie and swallowed. "They're trying to do what they can do, though she has no insurance at the moment." 

"Are you kidding me?" SinB asked. She placed her face between her palms. "Her parents still haven't come through? Do they know that she's in here? Her life is on the line!" 

A doctor walked outside the room. She smoothed her hair out and dabbed her sweat with a paper towelette. She placed her clipboard down on the radiator and opened the window. She took a breath and sighed. "She's in a critical state." 

"It's been three weeks since her diagnosis and all those tests. How could she be in grave danger now?" Eunha asked angrily. She felt like everything was falling apart. She clenched onto the bag that was holding the bracelet. 

"Poor treatment and malnourishment could have made it worse," the doctor said. "Also with the fact that we can't transfer her anywhere else because she lacks her parents and insurance." 

"She has a month before she turns 18. Can we at least give her a little bit more time?" Teacher Youngsun begged.  

"Like, we can pay for her stay at the better hospital for a few weeks with a benefit concert..just please give our Sojungie a chance..." SinB had tears in her eyes. 

The doctor looked into the room before returning to everyone. She picked up her clipboard. She nodded. "We'll see what we can do without parental controls. But, please note, that this would endanger her chances of speaking ever again. And her vocal nodes are quite strained." She opened the door for everyone to walk in. "Please try not to make her talk as much..." 

Eunha walked up to the bed first. Sowon's eyes were closed and her hair was thinning. Her skin was a ghastly pale and IVs were inside her veins. Her lips were slightly parted and cracked. Tears came running down Eunha's cheeks. SinB put her arm around Eunha. Eunha placed the bracelet on the nightstand. Her heart was sinking quickly down to her feet. Sowon's eyes opened. She looked at them both and closed her eyes again. "Thank you...for coming." 

"We're going to have a concert for you," SinB tried to smile. "And we're going to make the money for your surgery..." 

"No...no..you two must save the glee club...glee club needs the money..." Sowon sounded grave. Eunha shook in sadness. She knew she would never hear Sowon talk ever again after the surgery. It would hurt her. 

"But, you also need the money. You need to be saved, Sojung-ah. You need cash-" 

"I'm going to die anyway." Sowon snapped her eyes open. She huffed. "Look, just leave me be. I was meant to die. Ever since I was a little girl, I was told, I can't sing or anything because of my condition. This cancer." She held and winced. Her face in emotional and physical pain. "This cancer is going to end me. I have nothing left to do anymore. I haven't a purpose. I rather die than they take away my voice." 

"But what about me? I can't live without you!" Eunha cried. 

Teacher Moon and Youngsun came into the room and signaled that it was time for them to leave. 

Eunha looked down to the floor. It showed her tear-eyed reflection in the checkered floors. 

Sowon closed her eyes again. "Just...don't do things for me. I won't allow me to be transferred out. I was fated to die."

Eunha planted her lips on Sowon's forehead and placed the bracelet on Sowon's thin wrist. "I love you, Kim Sojung. And that won't ever change, no matter how stubborn and stupid you are." She began to cry as SinB pulled her by her wrist on their way out.