"Hi Welcome to The Glee Club, I Think You're Cute..."

Glass Beads and Her Fingertip

Sowon was reading a visual novel on her phone while drinking iced tea outside the study hall. It was 8pm. Normally students would be rushing to get out, but it was club orientation night. Everyone was ready to go to the rooms for their chosen club. Sowon, however, was in the glee club for the second year in a row. She was about to graduate and go to a music school somewhere in Seoul. She had her heart set on it. She was waiting for her usual gang of friends to come. SinB came up towards her and was sweating frantically. "So many newbies wanna come here, Sowon!" 

Sowon raised her eyebrows. "Where are they?"

Pretty soon the two were bombarded by boys and girls from all grades. It was usually just them two along with Wheein and Hwasa. As the study hall was filled, Sowon tried to squeeze her way to the podium. She tapped on the microphone. Pretty soon the crowd fell silent. "Hello everyone! I'm Kim Sojung, but I go by Sowon nowadays. It's beautiful to see all of your faces. SinB and I have been friends for a long time because we were in the same glee club in grade school. She skipped a few grades and well, we have been close since I've met her. We never had such a big turnout! It's usually just the 4 of us, me, Whee, Hwasa, and Sinb..."

SinB walked up to the mic. "So as a glee club, we gotta sing a song together for orientation. So anyone has a suggestion?"

A girl with a short bob cut came up with her hand raised. She looked innocent and sweet. Sowon looked at her with great interest in her eyes. She pointed at her as if she was a little girl picking out a Barbie. "I want you to choose, what's your name?"

"Eun...bi. But I prefer Eunha..." she smiled. Her cheeks looked so squishy, Sowon wanted to squish them so bad. "I think we should sing Marry You by Bruno Mars." 

"Marry You by Bruno Mars? I love that song! First let's harmonize and someone can start off!" SinB led the harmony and then a girl named Yuju started off.  The entire study hall erupted with "IT'S A BEAUTIFUL NIGHT, WE LOOKING FOR SOMETHING DUMB TO DO". According to Sowon, they could have done better, but after a few months of hardwork and dedication, they would get better. Eventually, there was a teacher standing in the door way with her arms crossed and a smile on her face. 

"Teacher Kim!"

"I'm known as Youngsun after 5pm to the seniors, you know that." She pressed her glasses against her face saying this. "You all need some more work."

"We just started, duh!" SinB hugged Youngsun. "How's Teacher Moon doing?"

"She's...on maternity leave as soon as the school year started ha." She patted SinB's head. "My young one, Sowon, if you're coming over to our place tomorrow tonight, please come alone."

Sowon furrowed her brow. Youngsun never came alone going to Youngsun's alone. She would usually come with the glee club. But she guess this was important. Youngsun messed with her hair. "Don't be scared. You know you're graduating soon and I have loads of advice and stories to tell."

"Okay...but why can't SinB come?"

"I'm gonna take an extra year because I'm still a little too young to choose a college," SinB answered. "Teacher Kim has already told me what you two are gonna talk about. It's major and she wants you to plan something bi-"

"That's enough, SinB," Youngsun chuckled while covering with a hand. "Now, school's about to close up. So get a move on getting to know your newest inductees."

Youngsun left the room. Sowon smiled excitedly. She was probably gonna plan the big shindig off the holiday concert and Youngsun was finally going to let her take entire responsibility for the perfection. Eunha walked up to Sowon and SinB, confidently. They were surprised because they knew she was a freshman because of the one colored strip on her name tag. "So I just wanted to say, I'm excited to be a part of the glee club!" she sang. Sowon's heart pounded. Whatever this kid was, made her feel vulnerable and more excited for some reason. 

"We appreaciate you," SinB said. "It's kids like you we do this for. To help you feel excited in school." She pat her shoulder. 

Sowon smiled. "You're a cute kid with a cute voice." She wanted to see how she would react coming here all confident and see if she had guts.

"Cute?" She puffed out her cheeks. "Am I a baby to you?" This kid has guts , Sowon thought to herself.

"Yes, because you're much younger than I am," Sowon laughed. "And you have those adorable cheeks on you!" She thought it was cute getting her worked up like this.

Eunha pouted. "My singing skills are serious, miss Sowon!" She stormed past them. Sowon grabbed her wrist and pulled her close. Eunha blushed frantically. "What are you doing?" Sowon leaned into whisper and Eunha got nervous. 

"Welcome to the Glee club, I think you're cute. I just wanted to tell you this personally and up close because I think you have something special." Sowon let Eunha snatch her hand away from her. "You have quite the attitude, little girl."

"I'm not that little," she pouted. 

Sowon looked down on her. "Ha ha. What's this? I'm 175 cm, how tall are you?"

Eunha looked away. "163..."

"You're so cute, Eunha," Sowon cooed.

"Stop!" SinB was laughing hard watching this unfold. "This is making me cringe at how greasy you are Sowon! I am the queen of grease, though!" 

"Fine! Alright everyone, circle up, we gotta talk about vocal ranges and who's going to team up with who. We got 10 minutes left!" Sowon yelled out loud.

==============

The morning came and Sowon woke up with a start, fresh with ideas for the glee club in her mind. She was gonna practice with Yuju, Yerin, Umji, and Eunha today with SinB. They all fit well together because they had sweet and youthful voices. Sowon put on her school uniform and picked up the letter that was left by her parents. They were going away on a business trip. She sighed and pinned the letter on the fridge and got some toast. She left the house, bookbag hanging off one of her shoulders, running towards the bus stop. She saw Eunha casually looking up at the sky. Smoothly, Sowon slid her arm around Eunha's shoulders. "Hey kid."

"Do you live around here? Or are you stalking me?" Eunha sighed. "You're annoying me by existing."

"I live around here. I've never seen you here before. You must be really new around here." 

"I am..." Eunha closed her eyes. "I'm from Seoul. I love it here but this is a new neighborhood to me." 

"Seoul is the best!" 

Eunha noticed Sowon's bookbag was messed up and fixed it. Sowon smiled warmly and a little nervously, watching her fix the bag. The two stared at each other and the bus passed them by. Eunha felt the strong wind pass by her and got scared. She panicked. "We missed the bus!" 

Sowon assured her. "It's fine, kid. One comes every 10 minutes. We won't be late."

10 minutes passed and the bus never came so they decided to walk up to the next stop. 

"So, have you always wanted to sing?" Sowon asked.

"It's been a passion. I've acted a lot as a child and I can also dance." 

"You're a jack of all trades, then," Sowon said, fascinated by her already. "Glee Club needs someone like you."

Eunha giggled. They got on the bus together. It was crowded.  Sowon got worried. Eunha was nowhere to be found.  Someone as small as Eunha could get lost, she thought to herself. She looked around through the people, trying to hold onto the handle on one of the seats. Eunha was nowhere to be found. When the bus stopped at the school she called out for her. A small tap was on the shoulder. She turned around. 

"EUNHA! YOU SCARED ME! NEVER LEAVE MY SIDE!" Sowon hugged Eunha. 

Eunha chuckled. "I was behind you the entire time."