"The Rainbow"

Glass Beads and Her Fingertip

"I heard you started your therapy today." Eunha sat on the bed. Sowon looked weak and her smile was watery. Eunha tried to remain strong, knowing deep down that Sowon could be cured. Her heart throbbed in her chest as Sowon held her hand tightly. She noticed that Sowon had bandaids all over her wrists and hands. She gulped. "You're strong, Kim Sojung. You can hang in there...you're going to live." 

Sowon chuckled. "Darling, don't be so silly. I have my surgery soon. Just a few more days of chemo." She held her head low and gave Eunha a cute smile. "Smile for me." She tickled Eunha's chin.

Eunha blushed and giggled. It hurt to laugh though. Their hands played in each other's gently. The air purifier made a loud sigh. Nurses passed by the door. The clock was mocking Eunha with it's loud ticking and tocking. The papers on the desk were saying otherwise. Especially since a parent could not sign them. Her family left her and kicked her out entirely. Sowon was still smiling and gleefully prepping things for the glee club, though she could not sing. 

Eunha stood up and looked out the window, tears threatning to stream down her cheeks. She swallowed them. Crossing her arms, she saw a rainbow dance across the sky. It was a sign that everything might be okay. She turned back to Sowon to see the tall girl, pale and grinning. Her life was still inside her. Eunha relaxed a little. The nurse came in with a syringe and a glass of clear liquid. "Excuse us..." the nurse gave Eunha a stern look. 

Sowon squeezed Eunha's hand before she left. As the door closed behind her, she let out a huge sob. SinB held Eunha tightly. "Shh...." Teacher Moon and Youngsun just stood by the door, trying to keep their cool. Eunha watched Sowon through the door window. SinB grabbed Eunha's hand tightly. "It's going to be okay. She'll be okay." Yerin nodded and patted Eunha's back. Yuju tried to hum a tune, but Umji shook her head. Everyone walked out the hospital and went to the spicy rice cake restaurant next to it. 

They ate quietly. After they ate and parted ways, Eunha walked down the road to the bus stop and saw Youjin kissing a boy heavily. He looked sweet and not as rough as the guys he would usually go for. He was sweet towards Youjin and he patted his head. "Love you, hyung." He did aegyo and pat his before going off to a building. Eunha walked up to Youjin and swatted his shoulder. 

"Is this the only boy you'd tell that lie to?" Eunha asked, sniffling a little. 

"Watch it, girl." Youjin placed an unlit cigarette between his lips. "Don't  assume things you don't know about." 

"I know you're a player, Kim Youjin!" Eunha placed her hands on her hips. "And smoking isn't good for your lungs." 

Youjin smiled a little, while bringing up a lighter to the cigarette. "Now that Sojungie's sick, I don't see a point in keeping perfect health. She proved to me that we're all going to die..." He turned his head and looked down on her. "I'm sorry. How are you holding up?" 

"Were you and Sojung close?" Eunha played with the drawstrings of her sweatershirt. 

"Not really. Outside the arranged marriage and all...we thought of each other as repulsive...Sowon's too tall, I rather be with someone small like you." He pinched Eunha's nose. 

"YAH! KIM YOUJIN!" 

He smiled, smoothing his hair back. "And to answer your question, I don't see Inseong in that way. We're just... buddies. I don't love anybody, honestly."  Eunha cringed at his foul language. The bus arrived and opened its doors. They got on and sat together. Rain drizzled onto the busy streets. Youjin crushed the cigarette beneath his sneaker. He placed a new unlit one between his lips and put his hood up. "How does one love, Eunha?"

Eunha tapped her foot and hummed as she looked at the people on the bus. Youjin poked her. She heard him but didn't know how to answer. She fell in love with Sowon in only a few months. And she was very young. It fascinated her at the process. Despite their big fight and her diagnosis, Eunha still wanted to stay by her side. She rubbed her hands together and placed them in her lap. "I guess it's something you just feel."

"So you love Sowon?" 

"I told her so I guess I do. I think it's  a weird feeling." 

"How do you know if it's love?" 

"I can't describe it offhand. It's just something." 

"Man...I wish I could feel that something with someone." Youjin toyed with his lighter.  "I just don't feel like falling in love is something I can really do."

"Oh." Eunha didn't know what to say. She got up as the bus started to get onto her street. "Well, I'm sure you'll find somebody." 

Youjin nodded and looked out the window. "I'm actually just scared to love because things don't always last forever." 

Eunha got off the bus and held herself tightly as the wind blew. When she opened the door to her house, her mother was there cooking her favorite food. She began crying again. 

"What's wrong, Eunbi?" her mother walked over quickly. 

"I just....my girlfriend....she has cancer...and I love her, mom."