Chapter 14

In your Eyes

                            Chapter 14                           

Yu An.

I head out and grabbed my bag as I hang it on the doorknob. When I went out of our gate, I saw Chanyeol and Baekhyun. I was about to greet them but they look like they've been talking about something serious.

"Good Morning!" I greeted. They both turn and their serious faces turned to soft ones. I smile in relief.

"Morning Yu!" "Good Morning." They reply in unison.

"Are you both okay? It looks like I interrupted something." I asked.

"Not really. We're just done talking." Baekhyun replied.

"I see."

We all headed to the station to take the train for the final practice in the gymnasium. The preliminaries will be held next week so Chanyeol and Baekhyun are going to represent our school for the upcoming Winter Cup competition. I'm really hoping for the best because they are both working hard for this.

"You three are late!" Yeon Hee approached us.

"I don't think so. Just in time~" Baekhyun grins and pointed at the train that has arrived.

I chuckle as Yeon Hee groans and we all boarded the train. "Oh right, captain will be meeting us at the entrance because the pass for the gymnasium is with him. Also," she glares at the boys. "Please behave accordingly. Especially you Chanyeol. I know how you get so excited with new track-fields and tend to lose control. You have to run for 200 meters understand?"

"Fine." He replies.

"I know that you'll do well for this practice you both." I say.

"Of course. You will be watching so I will set a new record straight." Baekhyun smiles.

"Just don't overwork yourself okay?"

"Oh don't worry Yu An! I'm stronger than this little tumor in my head-" I glare at him. I already told him not to kid of that tumor his. "Sorry." He says.

We arrived the gymnasium and I'm surprised at how big it is. "So this is where the preliminaries will be held huh?"

"Damn. This is so amazing." I chuckle at how cute Chanyeol is seeing the gymnasium. I bet he's getting fired up.

"You four!" We all turn and saw Yoochun sunbae, the captain of the Track team, and the rest of our team.

"Captain!" Baekhyun exclaimed. "Oooooh!!! Look look! This is too damn amazing! We will be running there!"

"Yeah, that's why you have to do your best today so you both can win and enter the Winter cup!" He replied.

"How do you get in this thing? It doesn't turn." Chanyeol pointed at the turnstile. I laugh. Looks like someone's excitement is at its peak.

"CHANYEOL! I ALREADY TOLD YOU TO ACT AND BEHAVE ACCORDINGLY! WAIT FOR THE TICKET DAMN!" Yeon Hee yells and grabbed Chanyeol on his sleeve. "Goodness! What will I do to you?"

"Haha! Let him be Yeon. We'll be entering anyway."

"Looks like our cheetah is itching to run huh?"

"Coach!" The team greeted. This is the first that I've seen Coach Kim since Yeon Hee and I became temporary managers. I guess he's well loved by the team huh?

"Coach, do I just hop on this thing? It doesn't turn." Chanyeol pointed. I laughed and handed him the ticket that sunbae was handing him earlier but he ignored out of excitement.

"Here Chan. You have to tap it." I say.

"Oh. Thanks."

"Hm? Who's this girl? She can handle this idiot properly." Coach Kim asks pointing at me.

"Oh, I haven't introduced them yet Coach. This is Nam Yu An and Jung Yeon Hee. Our temporary managers." Sunbae introduced.

"Oh! So you're the ones! Thank you for taking care of this idiotic but amazing team of mine."

"Coach!"

We both chuckle. "It's our pleasure Coach."

"Well then, shall we g-" coach sighs. "Chanyeol's already inside huh?"

Now that he mentions it, he is nowhere to be found. I guess he really is inside huh?



After Yeon Hee and I checked in to our rooms, she said that she’ll rest for a while because she felt dizzy all of a sudden. So i decided to take a walk and buy our dinner at the convenience store and also medicines for her.

“Yu An?” I turn and saw Baekhyun.

“Oh, have you been running?” I asked.

“Mm. Just to warm my body up. It’s been really cold.”

“I know.” I chuckle.

“Yeah right. You didn’t even have a scarf with you.”

“Oh, I didn’t manage to get it from my luggage earlier.”

“Then you can have mine.” I gasp when he suddenly placed his on my neck. I can feel that he’s staring at me as he place the scarf on my neck. “Are you avoiding my look?”

“N..Not really.”

He chuckles and finishes putting the scarf on me. “Are you going somewhere?”

“Mm. I’m going to buy our dinner and some meds for Yeon Hee. She’s not feeling that well.”

“Hm? Then I’ll guess I’ll buy mine too.”

“Your food?”

“Nope. My meds.” I stop on my tracks. Is he... “Yu An?”

“Are..Are you okay?!”

--

Baekhyun.

She’s looking at me with much worry. I hate this feeling.

Don’t look at me like that Yu An.

If you do,

I’ll...

I grab her close to me and wrap my arms around her. “B..Baekhyun?! Is it hurting?”

“Mm. It really hurts.” She gasps and tries to get away but I didn’t let her. “Don’t move Yu. I’m getting dizzy.”

“Oh my! Ah! There’s a bench there! Let’s take a break shall we?”

I hate this. I’m..

“Here. Lie on my lap for a while. It may ease the pain. Are you okay now?”

And I did. I lie on her lap as I stare at her looking at me in worry. I feel at ease. She’s this close to me. And she’s only looking at me.

In her eyes, there’s only me.

I’m so happy.

“Are you feeling better? Should we go to the hospital? Is it getting worse?” She asks.

Why are you so kind?

“Give me your hand.”

“My hand?” She lifts her hand and shows it to me. I grab it and hold it tight. I don’t want to let go. “Does it really hurt?”

“It’s getting better.”

The feeling here in my chest. It’s getting better.

“Really? That’s good then.”

This is the worst.

“Yu An.” I whisper. She looks at me closer and stares in confusion.

“What’s that? I didn’t hear you-” She moves closer and I grab her. Kissing her.

This is the worst. I’m taking advantage of her.


--

Chanyeol.

After changing in my running suit, I grab my jacket and place it on. I scan the room before leaving and headed out. I press down when I reached the elevator and waited.

I wonder if Yu An’s still awake?

I grab my phone from my pocket and sent a message.

Hi. I’m going out for a run and I was wondering, would you like to come?

I stare at my message for a while. It’s okay to send this right? I just hope she won’t decline it. I really want to see her.

The elevator opens and I walk out. I stop on my tracks. I place my phone back to my pocket. I don’t think I need to send this anymore because I know now that she’s awake.

She’s wide awake alright. And Baekhyun’s kissing her.

She pushes away in shock but she doesn’t move so I walk closer and grabbed her. “C..Chanyeol?”

“If you’re ill then go back to the room and rest.” I say looking at Baekhyun. He doesn’t look good and nods.

“Alright. Sorry.” He says and walks back inside the hotel.

I look at Yu An and she’s staring at Baekhyun as he goes inside but her hands are shaking. “Are you okay?” I ask.

“You saw? You... did right?”

“That’s not important right no-“

“It is to me!” She looks away and starts to cry. She’s sobbing so hard and I don’t know what to do.

“Does that kiss mean that much to you?” I ask.

“N..No! It’s not that.. I-“ she looks like she’s hesitating whether or not to let out the words that she wanted to say next. “I.. I don’t want you seeing me be kissed by another guy.. I just don’t.”

“Why?”

Tell me Yu An. Why?

She just stares but doesn’t talk. I’m getting frustrated.

“I’ll ask again. Why Yu An?”

“I’ll get going. Yeon Hee needs to eat and take her medicine.”

Just like that, she slips right through me again and I didn’t do anything about it.

--

Baekhyun.

Chanyeol didn’t talk about it. About what happened between Yu An and I. He just kept silent.

“Oh! You’re here!”

“Yes. Good Morning coach.” He says greeting our coach and I nod in greeting. We headed to the locker room to change. I put down my bag in front of me and looked at him. He’s still not talking.

“Are you mad at me?” I ask.

“Why would I be?” He’s looking at me with a straight face and I think he is being sarcastic with me.

“You are huh?”

“Think what you want.” He finished changing and shut his locker close.

“Then make me give up on her.” He stops walking and turns to me. His eyes are glaring. He grabs me by my shirt.

“I won’t.”

“If you won’t make me stop then I won’t be able to stop myself either!”

“THEN DON’T! GET THE HELL OF THAT SURGERY AND TAKE HER AWAY FROM ME INSTEAD!” He lets go of me and sighs. “I won’t take her if that means I will lose you. Don’t be stupid.”

Yu An.

“I won’t take her if that means I will lose you. Don’t be stupid.”

That’s Chanyeol’s voice.

I let go of the door and run to hide when I hear footsteps getting closer.

“Then what should I do? I like her too much..” I gasp but I covered my mouth to avoid making any noise. “I’m too scared to take that surgery because I might not be able to come back and see you all anymore..”

I felt something on my cheek. Ah, I’m crying.

It hurts to hear how he feels and now I am making. It worse. I am running away from them and that’s making it hard for the both of them too. But what should I do? I’m too afraid to respond to them and to face how I feel. Now I am hurting Baekhyun.

“Just take it Baek. I promise we’ll be there the moment you wake up. Don’t be afraid. I know it will turn out fine.”

I ran from where I was and headed out. “Yu An?”

“Yeon Hee..”

“You- are you crying?”

“Oh, I-“ I quickly run the back of my palm at my cheek and wipe my tears and smiled. “It’s just the wind.”

“That so?”

“Where are those two? I need to talk to them before the match!” Coach says.

“There they are coach.” Captain replied pointing at Chanyeol and Baekhyun. I turn so I don’t face them. I think my eyes are still swollen from earlier and I don’t want them asking why.

The both talked to coach while we prepare for the race. There are a lot of them than I imagined but I am hoping for the best. They’re both great and I know that they’ll make it.

“Yuuuuu An~” Baekhyun sing song and smiles.

“Oh, hi.”

“Can we talk for a while?”

“Oh, sure.” I followed Baekhyun inside the gymnasium. “What’s... up.” I froze when he suddenly hugs me. I can feel his chin on my neck. “Ba..Baekhyun?”

“Say Yu An, Chanyeol and I made a deal.”

“Deal?”

“Mm.” I inhale because of the tension. He hugged me tighter and I can almost feel his lips on my neck. “He said that if I run faster than him, he’ll give up on you. And if he runs faster, I will get that surgery.”

“W..Wha-“ I gasp. His lips are now on my neck. “W...Why are you telling me this?”

“Who do you want to win?”

“What?” I step back and look at him. He’s anticipating my answer. “Of course I want you both to win.”

“I’ll ask again Yu An. I want you to answer me. Who do you want to win?”

This is the first time that I’ve seen Baekhyun make this kind of face. “Chanyeol. I want you to take that surgery.”

“Hm?” He chuckles. “Isn’t it because you don’t want him giving up on you?”

“It’s not that!”

“Then why don’t we make a deal too?”

“What?”

He takes one step closer trapping me on the wall, making me look in his eyes. “What’s on it for me if I take that surgery? Make me take it.”

I look at him and I know that this is the last chance that I have to make him take it or else his life will be at stake.

“I’ll date you.”

His eyes widen in surprise and he steps back from me. “Are you sure you’ll be making that deal? You like Chanyeol.”

“It doesn’t matter. I want you alive Baekhyun.”

He grabs my wrist and hugs me again but this time, he’s sobbing. He’s crying. “Yu An.”

“Hm?”

“I’ll tell you this again. I’m so afraid that I might die without seeing you again. I love you so much.”

I smile and hug him back. I can feel that he will be agreeing to the surgery. “Mm. I know.”

“I love you.”

“Mm.” I say. He pulls back and smiles. I reach for his eyes and wipe his tears. “No go out there and win it okay? You’ll be just fine.”

“Alright!” He brightens up again and runs ahead of me. “Oh!” He stops and turns back at me. “I’ll make you say I love you back at me when we started dating okay? And remember, I won’t care if you like him. I’ll make you really look at  me.”

I smile and nod. I wonder if I’ll be able to say it?

 


I walk back where our place is and look for Chaneol to wish him luck but I can’t find him anywhere.

“Yeon Hee, have you seen Chanyeol?”

Yeon Hee places the water bottles down and her bag and shake her head. “Huh? I thought he went with you both.”

“Us? You mean Baekhyun and me?”

She nods and takes out her notebook. She’s going to record their stats as usual. “Yeah. He left just as you both did so I thought you’re altogether.”

“But he didn’t.”

“He didn’t?” She closes her notebook and pointed at my back with the pen she’s holding. “There he is.”

“Oh! Chanyeol! Good lu-“ I wasn’t able to finish my sentence because he just walked pass through me. “Chanyeol?”

“Yeon Hee, this is my bag right?”

“Mm.”

“I’ll take it down with me.”

“You’re going down already? There’s still half an hour left before the match.”

“I’ll see you all later.” He says but he ignores me again and passes through without even looking at me. I wonder if he’s okay?




The match was about to start and all the players are on their marks. I look at Baekhyun and I think he is in great condition. What I’m worrying about is Chanyeol. After he did his warm ups earlier, he’s not doing any right now. He usually jog on his place before he runs. But now, he’s just standing there staring at the finish line.

“I wonder if Chanyeol is okay?” I say.

“You think so too? His movement is quite odd compared to how he usually is.” Yeon Hee replied.

“Did something happen to that dude?” Our captain asks.

“On your marks,” it’s starting but Chanyeol isn’t budging. “get set,” he noticed the change and changes his position. I’m getting worried.

“GO!”

Chanyeol was a little late in starting his run which surprised all of us. He’s usually ahead of everyone. He loves running. But now, it seems like he’s out of it.

“Baekhyun’s going to make it!” Coach exclaimed and I smiled.

“Shoot. Chanyeol’s barely going to make it with his time.”

We all stare at the screen as Chanyeol reaches the finish line but he didn’t make it. “He... didn’t make it?” Captain says and we are all shocked by it. Chanyeol just lose to running.

Baekhyun was surprised too. He was about to approach Chanyeol when he left.

Something’s definitely wrong with him.

I run downstairs to meet him halfway. “Chanyeol!” I called but he’s not responding. “Hey wait-“

“DON’T TOUCH ME!” I gasp. He’s crying.

“C..Chan-“

“JUST DON’T TOUCH ME, DON’T APPEAR IN FRONT OF ME, AND DON’T ING CALL MY NAME YU AN!” He yelled and left.

It’s been a while since I had my heart last broken and this is the second time I am feeling like this.