XXV.

My First and Last
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"How long has it been? I can't recall the last time I set foot in here."


Wendy walked at the aisle of the garden, remembering the last time she walked at that same path. 


Walking passed the sunflowers, she smiled and was now standing at the front of the lane full of lilacs, daffodils and a small violet flower which reminded her of her late mother.  

 

Flashback:


A young Wendy looked at the garden curiously. 
Naeun saw the confusion on her kid's face so she answered her even though Wendy didn't voice out her questions.


"It's your grandmother's garden, Seungwan." 


Naeun fixed Wendy's bangs and smiled, taking her hands and walking at the aisle in the middle. 


"So many flowers mommy!" 


"Seungwan-ah, do you know that flowers have meanings. They can say the words you can't voice out."  


"How so mommy?" Wendy asked playing the butterfly on her hand.


"Like this," Naeun pointed at the aisle filled with daffodils. 


"Daffodils means new beginning, fresh start."


Wendy looked curiously at the flowers and nodded. 


"Mommy, if you are to give me a flower, what will it be?" 


"Hmmm... for my baby, I will give you heliotrope." 


Naeun pointed to the small violet flowers swaying in front of them. 


"Heliotrope?"


"Yes, heliotrope."


"Why? Because I'm small?"


"Nope, Seungwan. When you grow up and you're sad, lonely and wants to cry, hold a heliotrope in your hand and you will be fine."


Naeun then hugged her daughter tightly and the two stayed under the tree, admiring the view in front of them.


--------------------


"A penny for your thoughts?"


Wendy opened her eyes and saw her grandfather standing beside her.


"Mom told me that if I want to give up, I should just hold a heliotrope and everything will be alright," Wendy said, still looking at the flowers. 


"Heliotrope, eternal love," Mr.Jung spoke. 


"Your mother loves you more than anything in this world, Wendy." Mr. Jung smiled, remembering her late daughter.


"Dad, what did you do when Mom decided to leave everything behind?" Wendy asked.


This was the first time she and her grandfather talked about the past that they set aside.


Yunho sighed and smiled. 


"When your Mom told me that she wants to have a peaceful and normal life overseas, at first, I got mad. It's just that everything is here and there she was leaving everything behind. I told her it was nonsense and she answered me, "I want Seungwan to have a normal life where she could play without someone following her. Where Seungwan can have normal friends and where Seungwan can live freely." 


"And she walked out with you and your father. Years passed, I realized that there are thin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter