The Dark Side of The Night

At Night We Come Out To Play

the dark side of the night

 

CHAPTER FOUR

 

The orphanage home had not changed at all. It had aged; a humble small home in the suburbs of the city. A two-storey brick house standing alone, it still emitted a warm air of welcome about it, through the lights that lit up at night. It took Jongin and Soojung the usual two bus rides to get there. ‘Did you tell her you were coming?’

Jongin shook his head as they approached the house. He pushed open the rusting black gate that was no taller than the height of his hips and let himself and Soojung in. He checked his watch. It was almost midnight; a very bad time to be visiting. Jongin felt bad; he did not want to disturb his guardian or any of the children for that matter. They were probably already in bed by then, except for the slightly older ones.

He hesitated in front of the door, holding his fist in the air before he knocked thrice.

They were spared the waiting when the door opened merely seconds later.

He was welcomed by the familiar face of his guardian, a woman in blue her sleeping robes. ‘Jongin,’ her smile did not outweigh the wrinkles under her eyes, but the warmness of them did not waver, had not changed after years. Out of instinct, Jongin stepped forward and gave the small woman a longing hug. ‘Come on in,’ she welcomed them. Ms Yoon had taken care of Jongin ever since he and his sister were sent there after their parents’ death. She was the closest thing he had to a parent, and was grateful enough for her presence. ‘The children are all sleeping,’ she said as she led them into their modest kitchen.

‘Jongyeon?’

‘Cram school,’ she answered.

‘Right,’ Jongin and Soojung helped themselves to sit at a round table where Jongin remembered his guardians would sit at when they were taking a break from supervising the children. They were hit by a faint smell of spices tinged with coffee. Yoon had picked up a pot of hot tea and placed it with two small cups on the table before sitting down herself.

‘How’s school?’ she asked.

‘It’s fine,’ he answered, secretly hoping the cologne he had sprayed on himself was enough to blanket the smoke smell that stuck to him. Although he was half-certain his guardian knew he smoked, he did not want it to show in front of her. ‘I’ve been busy but it’s not too bad,’

‘You’re a smart boy,’ she said, holding onto the cup of tea. ‘You’ll be fine. And you have good friends too,’ she smiled at Soojung, who was a common visitor and thus was familiar to the lady as well.

‘What’s Jongyeon been up to lately?’ he asked. ‘I mean, her studies. Is she doing well?’

Yoon gave it a thought before she stood up and disappeared for a moment before returning with a piece of parchment. She sat down again and unfolded it in front of Jongin before passing it to him. It was her latest exam results. Yoon eyed him, but Jongin’s face remained static. She had scored all As and had nothing but compliments written for her by her homeroom teacher.

Jongin folded it back and set it aside on the table. ‘How’s everything here?’ he asked out of concern.

‘Livelier. The children here…they’re more cheerful.’ She smiled. ‘More parents are coming by interested in taking them home.’

‘If you need help with anything-‘

‘You just focus on your studies. I have faith in you and your sister. Don’t worry about me,’ she laid a hand on Jongin’s, feeling the slight coarseness of his skin. ‘You’re doing great,’ she said with a softer voice and patted his hand.

As if it came right on time, they heard the front door faintly creak open, followed by a less than energetic voice. ‘I’m back,’

They all turned their heads. ‘That must be her,’ Yoon smiled. ‘I’ll be upstairs,’

‘Thanks,’ Jongin merely said, acknowledging her kind courtesy of letting the siblings have their time alone, and he watched her disappear from the dining room. Jongyeon was taking off her shoes when Yoon walked into the hallway connecting the main rooms downstairs to the front door and staircase.

‘You’re still up,’ Jongyeon glanced at the aging woman.

‘Your brother’s here,’

Jongyeon looked back at her, an inquiring look about her face. ‘Why?’ she asked, and she did not look too pleasant either.

Yoon did not reply. ‘Don’t forget to lock the door after he leaves.’ She said before heading upstairs. Jongyeon took a moment to just stand still in the hallway, pulling down her hair band and wondering why he was here. She secretly hoped his friend Soojung would be there too. It would give him a reason not to be so brutally blunt with her. Jongyeon found the pair in the dining room, sitting in silence.

‘What are you doing here?’ she said as a form of greeting, something Jongin never tire of listening. She strode towards the kitchen counter to get herself a glass of plain water. Jongyeon bore the distinctive features that Jongin possessed. Deep black eyes, a gaze that made her seem as if she was constantly judging something, and black hair that reached just below her shoulders. She was thin, just like her brother, but looked stronger than the average 15-year old. The only difference was that she was fairer than her brother. If people paid attention enough, she, like her brother was attractive.

‘You didn’t call,’

‘And?’ she sat down in front of him and drank. ‘You got worried?’

‘I wanted to make sure you weren’t up to something stupid,’ he replied. Jongyeon merely smirked, barely offended.

‘Of course you did,’ she muttered. ‘Surprised? I bet Ms. Yoon showed you my results,’

‘You’d have a chance,’ he said. ‘Don’t screw it,’

‘I won’t,’ she stood up and made her way out to the back door. ‘I need to tell you something,’ she gestured for him to follow her out. They exited the backyard gate along with Soojung, following Jeongyeon who made a turn at the nearest junction towards a street perpendicular to the house, as if trying to hide behind a wall.

‘What is it?’ Jongin asked, impatient. Jongyeon held up a cigarette at his face.

‘Thanks,’ she said. Jongin slipped a hand into his pants pocket and found them empty. Jongyeon threw his packet at him and he caught it swiftly, his other hand knifing through the air fast to grab a hold of the cigarette Jongyeon had inserted into .

She ignored Jongin and fished out her own lighter from her school blazer and lit the tip of her cigarette. Jongin gave in, sighing to himself.

‘How’s work?’ Jongyeon asked after exhaling smoke. Jongin eyed her suspiciously. ‘I know what you do Jongin, you don’t have to hide.’

‘How did you know?’ Jongin was not sure which work she was referring to, and which he would rather she know about.

‘You don’t think I have friends who buy from you?’ she leaned against the wall. ‘It’s fast cash isn’t it?’ she smiled.

‘It’s none of your business,’ Jongin said coldly and tore his gaze away.

‘Did you just come back from work? You look dressed up,’ she teased. ‘Is that why you’re here? Because you just got your pay?’

Jongin was at the end of his wits, but knew he did not want to lash out or her, or give her the pleasure of being too obvious. ‘Are you eating?’

‘I guess,’ she shrugged, inhaling again. The smoked escaped her lips as she tilted her head upwards, shutting her eyes. ‘Oh God, I needed that.’ She heaved. ‘Thanks for coming by,’ she said, glancing at Soojung. ‘I’m good here,’ she smiled.

Jongin stood for a moment. Soojung watched the both of them, not exactly uncomfortable by the silence they were making. ‘Get back in soon,’ Jongin said, before turning his back. ‘Come on, Soojung.’

‘Wait,’ Jongyeon pushed herself off the wall and walked over to Jongin. ‘Are you forgetting something?’ she held out her hand. Jongin rolled his eyes, pulling out several pieces of notes from the inside pocket of his jacket. It was two hundred thousand won in total; a sum that made Soojung unintentionally blink twice.

Jongyeon snorted. ‘Thanks? I guess,’ she tucked them neatly into the pocket of her blazer. ‘But I’m talking about this-‘ she reached out her hand and picked out his packet of cigarettes again. ‘I need them,’ she grinned. Jongin had nothing to say, or rather, chose not to.

‘Don’t get yourself killed,’ he said.

‘Only twice a week,’ she said, finishing the last of her cigarette. ‘I promise,’

 

*

 

Causing noise distraction could earn a demerit, but Baekhyun could care less. Wardens were less than excited to go around patrolling, especially along the corridors where the seniors were accommodated. The most that could happen was that someone would come knocking and ask them to quiet down, which was alright. It was why the music was in the first place.

Baekhyun pulled off his sweater, revealing a thinner white short-sleeved t-shirt underneath. ‘You don’t look good,’ he said to Chanyeol, who was perched on Baekhyun’s bed, his back arched and head hung low. He straightened his back, helping a weak smile.

‘No, I’m just bushed.’ He told him. ‘Come here,’ he patted the bed. Baekhyun shot him a suspicious glance, then did as he told.

‘You should go to sleep then,’ Baekhyun said. Chanyeol held his stare on the other, then leaned forward to kiss him. Baekhyun was a little overwhelmed, but he drowned in the kiss faster than a sinking rock.

Chanyeol sneaked up on him like a large shadow over Baekhyun’s smaller frame. Baekhyun could feel a sense of dominance in the way the other boy kissed him, but thought it was no more than just….rough play.

But the longer they kissed, the more blatant was his emotion. Baekhyun knew it was not lust, or longing. As Chanyeol cupped the other boy’s face in his large hands, for a moment Baekhyun could feel the tips of Chanyeol’s nails on his skin, digging slightly into the sides of his face. He was suffocating, and Chanyeol was biting into his lips. He could feel a merciless sting and Baekhyun pulled away, but Chanyeol wanted to persist.

‘Stop!’ he pushed his palms against Chanyeol’s shoulders with slight force. Chanyeol snapped out of his trance. ‘What the is wrong with you?’ he hissed. Baekhyun saw Chanyeol’s brown eyes, dark in shade look at him with a strange tint of innocence.  Chanyeol pulled back, giving Baekhyun space. Baekhyun shifted away and lifted himself off his bed, walking towards his desk to turn off the music. ‘What’s bothering you?’ he said in a more concerned and gentle tone. ‘You’ve been distracted all day,’ he pointed out. He sounded a little angry as well as concerned. He did not appreciate the fact that Chanyeol was still hiding thing from him.

Chanyeol hung his head low again, breathing very heavily. ‘I’m sorry,’ his voice was deep and quiet. ‘It’s just-‘ he hesitated. ‘-family stuff-‘

‘I know-‘ he elongated his intonation. ‘-it’s family stuff. It’s what you always say,’

‘I-It’s nothing,’ Chanyeol raised his voice.

‘So you’re going to keep sulking like a kid?’

‘I’m not a kid!’ Chanyeol snapped and raised his head. He found Baekhyun’s unwavering eyes looking back at him, soft yet steady. Chanyeol looked away. ‘ you,’

‘Just ing talk about it. What are you so scared about?’ Baekhyun knew his words well.

‘I’m not!’ he snapped again, and Baekhyun only looked more smart than he was intimidated.

‘It’s ing unfair for you to ask things about me because you’re worried and I can’t do the same, you know.’ He said before he sighed, then returned to sit beside Chanyeol. ‘I’m not going to call you a for talking about how your family ,’ his intonation sounded less assuring than Baekhyun actually intended. But Chanyeol never liked the overly soft and constantly changing tone people usually adopted in their speech when trying to console him.

Especially mum.

Chanyeol still had his head hung low. ‘Say it,’ Baekhyun said. Chanyeol lifted his head.

‘Say what?’

‘My family ,’ Baekhyun replied. ‘Just say it,’

‘My family ?’ Chanyeol imitated in a questioning manner.

‘That’s it?’

‘My family ,’ he repeated again.

Baekhyun snorted, laughing. ‘Rae can do better than that,’ he mocked.

‘Alright! My family !’ he bellowed, before realizing what he had just done. He breathed heavily. ‘My family…my parents…I hate them.’ His shoulders sagged, and so did his voice. ‘They’re so goddamn selfish and they-‘ he paused. ‘How can they even think they’re the only ones who’s taking the worst out of their whole…’ he struggled to find a good word, and held his breath as he did.

‘?’ Baekhyun offered.

Chanyeol exhaled. ‘,’ he nodded, taking several moments to weigh down the feelings he had kept inside. ‘My brother and I, we grew up always hearing about how they want to divorce and suddenly not anymore, over and over again you would think we would both be dead by now.’

They both shared a small laugh.

‘It’s why we both moved out. Well, sort of. They keep rushing into things thinking it would save everything when the damage’s done. Got a dog, moved to another place, went on vacation. Now they’re trying to adopt a girl from the Philippines or something. I hope they don’t get to. My brother and I are enough.’

‘That’s so ,’ Baekhyun said.

‘It is. It’s why I like it here. No one to keep watch over my and no fighting parents to watch,’ he said. He sighed again, then fell back onto the bed. ‘I just want to graduate fast and move as far as I can,’ he dreamed out loud. ‘Maybe Hawaii or I don’t know, just far away.’

Just as silence was about to end their conversation, a knock on the door did.

Baekhyun went to fetch the door, and found one of their wardens standing in front of him. He gave a glaring look around the room. ‘I’ve heard complaints about your room,’ he began. Baekhyun looked back at Chanyeol, and found him reading a book.

‘Complaints about what?’ Baekhyun asked.

The warden did not seem to hear, and seemed put off seeing one of the students’ council studying. ‘Keep your music low, Byun.’ He said before excusing himself. Baekhyun closed and locked the door again. He turned to Chanyeol again, who merely shrugged.

Another close save, he thought.