Chapter 2

Roses or Laurels?

“Everybody has a right to like or dislike anything or anyone.

From a flower to a flavor to a book or a composition

but it is very sad that in our country

we actually fight over such things in an unseemly manner.”

–Ravi Shankar

 

Jaelyn’s POV:

 

                It already has been four hours. The other girls kept glimpsing at the door for return of Hannah. I was the only one who focused on practicing. If everyone wants to be like her, then why would they do such useless things instead of practicing? Jesus, I wonder what goes on in their heads. One can’t just get better by slacking around. I must focus. If it’s not about me then I don’t care.

                “Okay girls, you all worked hard.” Miss Kim yelled. That meant we have a thirty minutes break before practice.

                Eunhee ran to the door and peeked around.

                “She’s here! Hannah’s back!” She screamed in excitement.

                Hyerin went to the door as well to look. They opened the door for Hannah.

                “So what happened, Hannah? Did Junhyung oppa choose you to be his partner in his MV?” Eunhee asked after all the girls surrounded Hannah.

                “What else could it be?” She said arrogantly.

                “Hannah unni, you’re so cool! I knew there’s something special in you when I first saw you.” Minjee took the Hannah’s hands. “Just remember me when you get famous.” Sycophant. 

                I never seen Minjee talked to Hannah before since I arrived here. Hannah smiled back at her which was obviously feigned. She can keep acting for all I care as long as I know what she’s really like. She noticed me glaring at her. She smiled at me in a friendly way. Ugh, I want to vomit. I turned away from her.

                “What is this you’re holding?” Eunhee asked all of the sudden.

                “Oh it’s just a CD that Junhyung oppa gave me. He said it belongs to me now.” I couldn’t help it but turn around to look.

                Orange case. It couldn’t be. I walked closer to look. Yes, it is my CD. So Yong Junhyung was the one who saw me dancing last night? He wasn’t going to report me. Instead he was planning on making me his partner. He must have thought Hannah was me last night, that’s why Miss Kim asked if Hannah was the last one here. She just took my spot. I have to take it back.

~

                Practice has ended and all the girls already left besides for Hannah. I stayed outside Studio B and watched her. She inserted the CD into the radio and the music began. She began dancing but her movements were completely off with the beat. They were too fast. I have seen her train for the past week and my music is definitely not her style. She finally stopped. She took the CD out and put it back in the case. She gave up I guess.

                She started coming toward the door. I went behind the corner and hid. She looked at the CD for a few seconds then she threw it in the trash. She did not just do that to my precious music. I waited until she disappeared. I went to the can and retrieved the CD.

                I went out of the building. Surprisingly I saw Yong Junhyung coming toward the building. He was all alone. What do I do now? I looked around. Then I saw something glistening on the edge of the block. Glass. I grabbed a piece of the broken glass bottle and quickly ran behind a column. I peeked out and saw that he was almost at the entrance of the building.

                I must do this for the sake of my future. I shut my eyes tight and jabbed the piece of glass just above my ankle. A bit of tears escaped my eyes. I covered my mouth to keep myself from screaming in pain. I started sweating. I quickly left my hiding spot. I limped toward Junhyung with the CD on my hand. Then, I pretended to collapse just a few feet away from him. Blood was dripping down my foot. He noticed me right away. I looked up at him helplessly.

                “Are you okay?” He kneeled down and asked me.

                I didn’t respond but looked down and breathed heavily as if I was about to pass out. As I expected, he put my arm around his shoulder and he carried me into the building. Bullseye.

                “Just… bring me to my studio. I’ll be fine.” I tried to sound weak. He probably did not see the CD in my hand yet. I must let him notice it somehow.

                “Which studio are you from?” he asked.

                “Studio B.” I whispered.

                “Stay right here. I’ll be back.” He put me down the bench at the studio. I placed the CD right beside me. He has to see when he returns. I stared down at my foot. It didn’t stop bleeding yet. Good.

                He returned after a few minutes with cotton swabs, alcohol, and a cotton roll. He took off my shoe and applied alcohol onto my wound. I pulled back a little. Ouch, it burns.

                “It’ll get infected if you don’t clean it thoroughly.” He said as he applied more alcohol. I gritted my teeth. He wrapped my wound up with a cotton roll.

                He got up and looked at the CD next to me. Finally he noticed it. I quickly grabbed the CD and pulled it closer to me.

                “Where’d you get that from?” He asked.

                “I thought I lost it, but I found it in the trash.” I said.

                “Where’d you lose it?” That’s right. Ask more questions. Be curious.

                “I forgot it here last night. When I came to look for it this morning, it was already gone.”

                “So you were here last night?” He looked into my eyes.

                I quickly covered my mouth as if I just told him a secret. “Please don’t tell anyone. If they find out, it’ll be over for me.” I took his hands as I said this.

                “Don’t worry you can trust me. What is your name?” He asked softly.

                “Jaelyn. Song Jaelyn.” I said it almost too clearly.

                “I have to go now.” He studied his watch. “We’ll meet again in the future.” He got up and walked toward the door.

                “Wait.” I stopped him. “You didn’t tell me your name yet.”

                He turned around and looked a bit surprised. Of course he’ll be. Who doesn’t know Yong Junhyung here? I stared at him with clueless eyes.

                “Junhyung, Yong Junhyung. Remember that name.” He said his name as clearly as I did.

   

 

Junhyung’s POV:

 

                I looked at the incoming call: Manager Lee.

                “Hello?” I answered.

                “Where are you??? You have a recording in 10 minutes and…”

                “I know. I’m almost at the entrance.” I ended the call.

                A girl suddenly collapsed right in front of me. I kneeled and studied her face. Her forehead was wet from sweating and her and her face was pale as a ghost. Her leg was bleeding.

                “Are you okay?” I put my hand on her shoulder. She didn’t answer or look at me. She looked like someone from the studio. So I picked her up and carried her in. I can feel her uneven breathing against the chest.   

                “Just… bring me to my studio. I’ll be fine.” She struggled to speak.

                “Which studio are you from?” I asked as I carry her down the hall.

                “Studio B.” So she’s from the same studio as Hannah.  

                I went into the room and gently put her down on the bench. Her leg was still bleeding.

                “Stay right here. I’ll be back.” I said.

                I ran down the hall to the infirmary. There was no one in there. I looked through the shelf and found a first aid kit. Let’s see, what do I need? Cotton roll, alcohol, and some cotton swaps. Perfect. I ran back to Studio B and helped her treat her wound. Then, I saw something orange next to where she was sitting. The CD Hannah left behind last night. She saw me looking at it and placed her hand over it protectively. How’d the CD end up in her hand?

                “Where’d you get that from?” I couldn’t help but asked.

                “I thought I lost it, but I found it in the trash.” What? Hannah threw the CD away? What’s going on here?

                “Where’d you lose it?” I have to know.

                “I forgot it here last night. When I came to look for it this morning, it was already gone.”

                “So you were here last night?” I studied her more closely. Her red hair flowed down her shoulders. Yes, I remember now, I remember the long, silky, red hair.

                She seemed startled all of the sudden. “Please don’t tell anyone. If they find out, it’ll be over for me.” She held onto my hands in fear.

                “Don’t worry you can trust me. What is your name?” I have to know her.

                “Jaelyn. Song Jaelyn.” She replied.

                Shoot, I almost forgot I have a recording. I looked at my watch. I’m fifteen minutes late. “I have to go now. We’ll meet again in the future” I told her boldly as I went for the door.

                “Wait. You didn’t tell me your name yet.” I was shocked. She does not know who I am? She’s not like any other girl I’ve met. She must be something.

                “Junhyung, Yong Junhyung. Remember that name.” I spoke clearly. I felt that she should remember my name forever.

                So the girl I was looking for wasn’t Hannah. It was Jaelyn, Song Jaelyn.

~

                “Where have you been, Junhyung? Everyone has been waiting for you.” Manager yelled as I entered the recording room.

                “My apologies. Something came up.” I didn’t know how I could smile at this state, but I was. “Tell Hannah that she doesn’t need to practice anymore.” I whispered to Manager Lee.

                “Wait, what?” He asked confused.

                I didn’t answer him and went into the recording room.