Chapter 4

Roses or Laurels?

 

“The flower has opened, has been in the sun and is unafraid.

I'm taking more chances; I'm bold and proud.” 

–Paula Cole

 

Jaelyn’s POV:

                “Cut!” Director Park called. “Okay good job team.”

                Finally it was over. It has already been eighteen hours since the filming started. We changed scenes so many times I lost count. The makeup artist kept reapplying makeup on my face I could hardly breathe. Was it always this hard to film an MV? I went to the dressing room and collapsed on the couch. My eyes hurt.

                “You okay?” Junhyung came into the room and handed me a bottle of cold water.

                “Yeah. And thanks.” I grabbed the bottle and took a few sips.

                “You’ll get used to it. I had experienced worse.” There, he just answered the question in my head.

                I forced a smile at him to show that I’m really fine. A knock came from the door.

                “Junhyung, what are you still doing there? You have to change for the next scene,” Manager Lee called and left in a hurry.

                “Okay, I’ll be right there,” Junhyung replied. “I’ll go get prepared now. Take care of yourself okay?” He gave me a pat on my shoulder. I nodded.

                I let out a deep breath once he left. I shut my eyes and fell asleep.

~

                “Umma!” I exclaimed as I heard the familiar voice through the phone.

                “Jun hye ah, how are you? Is it hard? Don’t overwork yourself.” Hearing her voice tears me up. I was always afraid to call. I thought she would be angry with me for leaving like that.

                “Umma, don’t worry about me, I’m doing fine. All the sunbaenims are nice to me.” I managed to lie to her.

                “Really? Then that’s a relief.”

                “Umma, I miss your cooking a lot.” I said after a long pause.

                “You should come home sometime then, so umma can make you a lot of good foods.” Her voice sounded shaky.  

                 “I wish I can too, but I don’t get any breaks.”

                “You sound really tired. Are you getting enough sleep?”

                “Let me tell you something,” I was excited to tell her about my progress, “I was casted as the female lead for Yong Junhyung’s MV. It’s already filmed. Soon you’ll see me on TV!”

                “Really? You really did? Umma is so proud of her daughter!”

                “Let me talk to her.” I heard my father from a distance. He was then put on the line.

                “Appa?” Was he worried about me too?

                “Are you ready to give up yet?” He said sharply. I guess not in my lifetime. I hung up on him.

                After not seeing his daughter for over a month, the first thing he did was to discourage me? I stomped out of my room disappointed. It was time for practice.

                As I walked across the streets, I was too preoccupied with thoughts I didn’t bother looking at the light. Then, I heard a honk which startled me. A truck was charging right at me. I couldn’t move. Someone grabbed onto my arm and pulled me back. I lost my balance and fell backward. He caught me from behind and my head landed on his chest.

                What was I doing? I almost got myself killed. The guy who just saved me was looking down at me.

                “Are you okay?” He grinned flirtatiously. His eyes were dark and smoky from makeup; it looked kind of attractive. Wait, what was I thinking? I immediately pulled my head away and stood back up. He was still smiling.

                “Um, yeah I am. Thanks.” I embarrassingly walked cautiously across the street and into the building.

                “Ohmygosh, Jaelyn, are you okay?” Jang Minjee came running to me when she saw me. “You look really pale. What happened?” She said trying to sound concerned. I know was she was up to.  

                “Don’t talk to me. I’m not Hannah” I said not looking at her. When is she going to give up?

                I chugged down a bottle of water afterward to calm myself down.

                “Jaelyn ah,” Miss Kim called. “This is for you.” She handed me a card. CUBE Entertainment was printed on the cover.

                “What is this?” I asked as I opened it to look.

“To: Song Jaelyn,

                You’re invited as a V.I.P guest to attend the formal party for success of Yong Junhyung’s MV release.

                                                                                                                                               

                                                                                                                                  Signed:President Choi”

 

                A V.I.P guest? For real? The date stated that it’s tonight.

                “The other girls are invited too, but to seems that the president has recognized you to personally send you an invitation.” Miss Kim said.

                “Thanks.” I quickly slipped the invitation away into my bag.

 

 

Junhyung’s POV:

                I laid on my bed as I hesitated on what to say in my text message to Jaelyn.

                “I would like you to be my partner for tonight’s party.” Nevermind.

                “I need a partner. Do you?” No.

                “I need a lady to to the party.” Too obvious.

                Wait, what am I even doing? Why am I so nervous? This isn’t like me. Finally I managed to send the message out.

                “It would be better to make an appearance together at the party since we’re the V.I.P’s. What do you think?” I clicked the send key. Sigh. What is happening to me?

 

Jaelyn’s POV:

                My temporary manager helped me prepare for the party. I hopped into Manager Lee’s car when it arrived in front of the salon. When I sat down beside Junhyung he looked uncomfortable, but I didn’t say anything.

                He escorted me into the hall after we got out of the car. A man who was greeting some guests turned his attention to us.

                “That’s President Choi.” Junhyung whispered. “I’ll introduce you to him.”

                I walked nervously beside Junhyung as we approached President Choi.

                “Ah Junhyung, you’re here!” He waved.

                “This is Song Jaelyn, President Choi.” Junhyung introduced.

                “Ah so you’re Miss Song.” He held out his hand and I shook it.

                “It’s a pleasure to meet you.” I attempted to sound relaxed.

                 “I thought you looked pretty in the MV, but you look dazzling in person.” He complimented.

                “I’m flattered.” I quickly responded with a smile.

                “The reviews for the MV were excellent. I’m proud of you guys.” He nodded in approval and placed his hand on Junhyung’s shoulder. “I’ll go now. I cannot have my guests wait. Please enjoy the party.” He went to greet the other people.

                “How was it?” Junhyung asked.

                “Huh?”

                “Different from what you expected? The president is a carefree guy. You don’t need to feel too uneasy in front of him.”

                “I wasn’t uneasy.” I said.

                “Hyung!” Someone called from behind. Where have I heard this voice before? 

                Junhyung turned around and looked surprised.

                “Oh! Kikwang! When’d you come back?” Kikwang? Is he the Lee Kikwang I heard fans talking about on the internet all the time besides for Yong Junhyung? I turned around to take a look. Flirtatious smile and smoky, mysterious eyes? No way.