Chapter 16

Roses or Laurels?

“Love has its own instinct, finding the way to the heart,

as the feeblest insect finds the way to its flower,

with a will which nothing can dismay nor turn aside.”

–Honore De Balzac

 

Junhyung’s POV:

 

                I kissed the girl who appeared from behind. Did I do it for revenge? Was I too reckless? There’s no turning back. I continued the act. Tears were shedding as I did it. I shut my eyes not wanting to accept the truth. Jaelyn is probably hurting right now, but the pain she caused me was a thousand times more. I heard her footsteps retreating as I held onto Hannah tightly.

                “Jaelyn!” I could hear Kikwang calling. Then, his footsteps faded as well.

                I finally let go of Hannah. “I’m sorry.” I apologized for my impulsive behavior. But why was she there? I shook my head to clear my mind a bit. Right, I almost forgot. “I’m going to get you help right now. Don’t walk away this time okay?” I walked around her to go back into the building. Suddenly, she hugged me from behind. I tried to remove her arms around my waist but her grip became tighter.

                “Please don’t go,” she whispered.   

                “Hannah… you don’t need to be afraid,” I tried to comfort her assuming that she didn’t want anyone to know about the issue.

                “No, it’s okay.” I could feel her breathing against my back. “As long as you’re with me it’s okay.” I turned around and looked her into the eyes. She leaned her head over my shoulder. Placing my hands on her back was my reaction. It wasn’t out of passion, nor was it out of sympathy; it was for revenge. I’m going to return everything that Jaelyn did to me. I’m going to let her experience the pain that she caused me. I will not forgive her.

 

Jaelyn’s POV:

 

                My senses are coming back to me. I moved my fingers weakly and opened my mouth to speak. A hand grabbed me instantly.

                “Jaelyn, can you hear me?” Kikwang’s voice asked. When I opened my eyes I could see his worried face. I gave an attempt to nod my head. I grimaced at a slight pain on the back of my head. “I’ll call the doctor right now.” He rushed out of the room. I studied my body and saw no other injuries besides for some scratches on my hand. I sat up before Kikwang returned with a doctor.

                “Hello Miss Jaelyn, I’m Dr. Seo. How are you feeling?” The man held out his hand.

                “Hello, I’m feeling okay.” I took his hand and smiled politely.

                “I’ll give you a quick examination.” Dr. Seo took a look at my eyes. Then, he put pressure on my back and asked if I felt any pain.

                “How is she?” Kikwang asked after the examination is completed.

                “Miss Jaelyn seems to be fine. The injury on her head isn’t that major. However a completed checkup would still be needed,” he replied.

                “So when can I leave?” I asked quickly.

                “You’ll be discharged tomorrow.” I smiled at his answer. “I’m going to leave now, please feel free to call for me if you need something.” He left the room after.

                “Are you sure you’re feeling fine?” Kikwang sat back down on the chair next to the bed.

                “Yes, didn’t you hear? Dr. Seo said I’m fine too.” I paused then started to speak again. “Did you tell anyone about this accident?”

                “Nope, I took care of everything. Don’t worry,” he reassured me. “You should take good rest right now. I’ll come to pick you up tomorrow morning okay?”

                “Okay.” I lied back down. He pulled the blanket over me.

                “Good night,” he said before he left.

                 “Good night.” Then, the lights turned off.

                I finally had some time to think. The kissing scene came back like a flash. Yong Junhyung, you must really despise me now. I won’t ask for your forgiveness. But please don’t do things that you’ll regret just because of me.

***

                The next morning, I changed into my clothes and prepared to leave. Kikwang came to pick me up as he told me.

                “Please come back in two weeks for a full examination,” the nurse at the counter informed me. Kikwang drove me back to CUBE. He told me that President Choi was worried and wanted to see me.

                “Jaelyn!” President Choi stood up as soon as I entered his office.

                “Hey, President Choi,” I greeted.

                 He came up to me and looked at my bandaged head with concern. “Come sit down,” he said, so I sat down. “I heard from Kikwang. How are you feeling?”

                “I’m fine. The doctor told me it’s a minor injury.”

                “Then that’s a relief.” He placed his hand on his chest and breathed out deeply. “And don’t worry about the public. I informed them that you went on a break.” He must have noticed my worried expression.

                “Thanks,” I said.

                “It’s the least I can do.”

                “Um… did you tell Junhyung?” I asked.

                “No didn’t, I assumed that he would’ve known. Didn’t Kikwang tell him?”

                “Never mind, I’ll ask him later.”

                “I’m not going to take up anymore of your time. You may leave now.”

                “Then, I’ll take my leave, President Choi.”

                As I walked down the hall I saw Junhyung. Our eyes met. He showed a small reaction when he saw my injured head. Then, as expected, he looked away and walked pass me. I held onto his arm immediately before he completely passed me. He halted.

                “We need to talk,” I said.

                “What else is there to talk about?” His anger hasn’t gone down yet. What was I expecting?

                “You have to listen to me.”

                “No, Jaelyn, I’ve heard enough of your lies.”

                “I’m not asking to forgive me or anything, but please let me explain. I was going to tell you but-”

                “Are you afraid that I’ll expose you?” He grinned.

                I searched through his eyes but I couldn’t find what I was looking for. The Junhyung that used to look at me compassionately is gone. All I see in his eyes is hatred.

                “I can’t believe you don’t understand me by now.”

                “I do understand you. You’re still worried that your image will get tarnish. You’re afraid that you’ll lose everything that you gained by using me. But don’t worry, I’m not going to ruin CUBE’s image just because of you.”

                “Junhyung…” He was a completely different person. I couldn’t believe it was him that I was talking to.

                “Oppa! What’s talking you so long?” Hannah came out from a room. She shifted her eyes to me.

                “Wait in the car outside first. I’ll be there,” he told her.

                “Okay, I’ll be waiting,” she smirked at me before she walked pass me to the elevator.

                “Let me make this clear. From now on, don’t approach me whenever you want. I want nothing to do with you.” I saw sudden flashes of light in my vision as he walked away. I rubbed my eyes and they went away. I turned around to look at his back. Junhyung, please stop doing this. You’ll end up getting hurt again. I know you weren’t lying when you told me that you love me. I know that kiss was meaningless.

 

Junhyung’s POV

 

                I told her that I want nothing to do with her. Her expression showed me that she was didn’t want this to happen. How was it Jaelyn? Does it hurt? That was what you did to me when I confessed my feelings for you.

                “Oppa, where are you taking me today?” Hannah asked in the car.

                “I’m sorry Hannah, something came up. We’ll have to go next time,” I said.

                “Really?” She frowned in disappointment. I nodded. Then, she got out of the car obediently. I waved at her and drove away. Nothing really came up. I just wanted some time alone. I drove off to the shores for some fresh air. I haven’t been able to relax these past days after knowing that the girl I loved was deceiving me all along. I faced the sea and screamed with anger. Then, the powerful waves that are crashing toward me muffled my voice. I wanted to get washed away by them, but they never reached me. They got weakened as they got closer, and then faded away. 

                I’m supposed to be satisfied that I’m making her feel miserable but why don’t I feel that way at all? Instead, I was anxious by her appearance when I saw the injury on her head. What happened last night when she ran off? How did she get hurt? A bit of water splashed into my eyes caused by a wave that was stronger than the previous ones. I blinked and left my query.