Chapter 8

Roses or Laurels?

 

“She had already allowed her delectable lover to pluck that flower which,

so different from the rose to which it is nevertheless sometimes compared,

has not the same faculty of being reborn each spring.”

Marquis de Sade

 

Jaelyn’s POV:

                “So why’d you change your name to Jaelyn? What’s wrong with Junhye?” Kikwang asked while sitting on the swing next to me.

                “Everything.” I stopped myself from swinging by pushing my feet against the ground for some friction.

                “Tell me about it.”

                “In my memory, Song Junhye is a girl who was looked down on by everyone. No one believed in her when she said that she could do better. Back in her hometown, when people hear the name Song Junhye, their conclusion would be the hopeless girl.” I paused to take a sip from my drink. “When she found out that she got accepted into CUBE, she decided to change, to become a new person. She didn’t want to be that nobody anymore. She wanted to be someone who everyone admires.”

                “So that’s why you changed your name to Song Jaelyn?”

                “Not only that,” I decided to tell him the rest since he already knew my other secrets, “I changed my profile too. I stated that I am an orphan. That was part of the reason why I didn’t acknowledge my father earlier.”

                “What was the other part?”

                “The other part was because I’m still Junhye to him. He disapproved of me going into the music industry. Especially CUBE, but he would never tell me why.”   

                “Well I see part of you as Junhye too,” he said suddenly. “Not as the hopeless girl, but the courageous girl who stands back up under any circumstances. And I admire that girl, the first girl I ever admire.” He grinned at me then hopped off the swing. “You chose the right person to get close to. He’ll ensure that you make it big.” He yawned. “I should be asleep right now. I’ll see you next time.” He ran down the streets and disappeared into the shadows casted by the giant buildings.  

 

Junhyung’s POV:

                My schedule is empty today so I have a full day break. I decided to go visit Jeju Island, where I grew up before I came to Seoul

                “I’m going to go now.” I told Manager Lee.

                “Remember to deliver my blessings to your parents.” He said in a low voice.

                I nodded and left the building. I arrived to Jeju in a little over an hour.

                I stepped into the small bakery a few streets down from where I used to live. Nothing changed at all inside. The old tables and chairs are still the same. The scent of freshly baked bread still smells the same. I went to sit on the same spot I used to sit when I was young, the window seat.

                “Junhyung, is that you?” The voice of a middle aged woman came from behind. I looked up at her.

                “It’s been a long time, Mrs. Eom.” I quickly stood up and responded when I saw the familiar face of the woman who used to give me the leftover sugar cookies when I was a kid.

                “Oh, Junhyung it’s really you!” She placed her hands on my shoulder. “You’re all grown up now, your parents must be proud you.”

                I ordered a cup of coffee and sipped as I observe the busy street outside the window.

                “I’m going to depart now, Mrs. Eom.” I said politely after I got up from my seat.

                “Wait.” She said. Then she went into the kitchen and brought out a white paper bag filled with what I assumed to be sugar cookies. “Take these with you.” She smiled and placed the bag in my hand.

                “Thanks.” I left the bakery afterward.

                Next stop is the flower shop. The bell hung on the door chimed as I opened it. There was no one at the counter. I heard noises coming from the garden so I went through the back door. An old man was bending down and watering his flowers. When he heard my footsteps, she stood up and turned around.

                “Oh, Junhyung, you’re early this year.” He said in a surprised tone.

                “Yea, I have a day off today, so I figured I should visit.” I replied.

                “You’re lucky that the roses bloomed beautifully at this time of the year. Hold on, let me finish watering these flowers. Then I’ll make the bouquet for you.” He resumed to watering.

                “Actually, I just want a single rose this time.”

                The man took a scissor and cut out one red rose from the bush and handed it to me.

                “How much is it?” I asked.

                “Take this from me as a present this time.”

                “Thanks.” I gratefully accepted the rose.

                Next stop is the rocky shore of Jeju Island. I arrived at a boulder that glistened on the side facing the waves. The opposite face of it stayed dry. On that side was where their names were engraved. I placed the rose gently on top of the boulder.

                “How are you?” I spoke toward the direction of the water. The sea responded with a strong wave. “Me? You don’t need to worry about me. Of course I’m doing great. I’m Yong Junhyung, your son.” I left the area after spending an hour there.

                I still had a lot of time left after I finished doing everything I planned to do in Jeju. I didn’t want to go home yet. I went to the golden wheat field that I used to pass by when I went to school on this island. The wheat grew up to my waist. I brushed the tips with my fingers as I stroll slowly across the field. I breathed in the fresh air and felt the breeze against my face.

                Just then, I heard a loud sigh coming from a distance. I scanned around the field and saw a girl. Her arms were wide opened. Her eyes were closed. Her chest was held high and proud. Her long, red hair was blown back by the breeze. Could this be fate?

 

Jaelyn’s POV:

                President Choi gave me a day off today as a reward for working hard. I remembered that I still didn’t thank Junhyung for that night when he brought me home, so I went down to the building to find him. I saw Manager in the room at the end of the hall.

                “Oh Jaelyn, you’re here.” He said when he saw me.

                “Hey Manager Lee.” I waved then I looked around. “Where’s sunbae?” I pretended to ask casually.

                “Oh he went to Jeju Island.”

                “Jeju?” Why all the way to Jeju?

                “Yeah, it’s his parents’ death anniversary soon and he happened to get a break today so he decided to go early.”

                “When did he leave?”

                “About less than an hour ago.”

                “Oh. I guess I’m going to go now. Bye.” I ran off to the airport. This is my chance. I’m going to let him believe that this is fate.

                I’ve never been to Jeju Island before. When I got out of the airport I felt lost. I glanced around hoping that I would find Junhyung somewhere and make him notice me, but I couldn’t find him. If he came for visiting his deceased parents, then he must have gone to a flower shop. I went around asking for locations of flower shops. Luckily there weren’t that many.

                “Are you sure this is the last flower shop in Jeju?” I asked the lady in the counter.

                “Well, there’s one. But you no one really goes there. It’s kind of deserted.” She replied.

                “Where is it?” The lady gave me the direction.

                The shop was tiny and the walls were old. I slowly opened the door and the bell chimed. I jumped up.

                “Did you change your mind to get a bouquet instead?” An old man appeared from the back door. He looked surprised when he saw me.

                “What brings you here, child?” He asked.

                How should I say this? When he saw that I wasn’t planning to respond anytime soon he continued with what he was doing.

                “There’s going to be a storm later. My delicate flowers wouldn’t be able to endure it.” He carried pots and pots of flowers into the shop. I observed him while I thought about what to say. Suddenly, he collapsed onto the ground. I immediately went to him and helped him up.

                “Are you okay?” I asked.

                “Yea I’m fine; just help me to that chair.” I assisted him to the wooden chair in the corner. “I cannot deny that I’m not getting old anymore. My knees are dying on me.” He laughed.

                “You stay here; let me help you with the rest of the pots.” As I promised, I carried all the pots from the garden. I noticed a bush right beside the door inside the shop. The flowers blooming in it are shaped like stars and white with a shade of pink. I felt the petals with my finger.

                “Beautiful right?” The old man said. I nodded. “But poisonous too.” I quickly jumped backward. He chuckled. “Don’t worry; they won’t harm you as long as you don’t eat it.”

                “Oh.” I said in embarrassment.

                “They have to be grown in acidic soil to survive. A pH of 4.5 to 5.5.”

                “What are they called?”

                “Mountain laurels.” He answered. He got up from the wooden chair and plucked one out of the bush and handed it to me.

                “Thanks.” I took it and stared at it adoringly.

                “Don’t admire it too much or it’ll end up ruining you.” His comment startled me.

                “Huh?”

                “Never mind that. The person you’re looking for should be at the rocky shore down there.” He pointed at a direction. I didn’t know how he knew I was looking for someone but I didn’t ask.

                “Thanks for the flower.” I smiled and left.

                I rushed to the shore but no one was there. I searched around and found a rose. On the boulder, two names were engraved. The surname was Yong. His parents? The petals of the rose were still moist. He couldn’t have gone far. I ran down the shore but there was no sign of him. I finally gave up. There’s no way I can find him now. I walked slowly away from the rocky shore and arrived at a field of wheat. It stretched so vastly that I couldn’t see the other end of the field. I’ve never seen anything like this in my life. I went deeper through the wheat. The air felt nice. I spread my arms open like wings and absorbed the breeze. I breathed in deeply and let out a sigh.

                Suddenly the sky darkened. Heavy storm clouds hovered over the field. I saw lightning then the roaring of the thunder came. Rain started to pour down on me. What do I do now? Then, someone grabbed my hand from behind. I turned around startled. The person started running across and I followed along in his grasp. All along, I could only see his back but it looked familiar. I finally figured out who he was.

                We arrived at a village. Junhyung knocked on the door of a house.

                “Junhyung?” A woman answered.

                “Sorry to bother you Mrs. Eom, but it’s pouring really hard.” He said.

                “Come on in.” She gestured both of us to enter. The woman brought us dry clothes to change into. Then, she made us hot cocoas.

                After she went into the kitchen, there was an awkward silence. But I was glad he didn’t ask what I was doing in Jeju. The droplets of rain was hitting hard against the roof forming a rhythm. I sipped cautiously on my hot drink. Finally, Mrs. Eom came back and broke the silence.

                “It doesn’t look like the storm will settle anytime soon. Why don’t you stay for the night?” She suggested.

                “Um, let me inform my manager first.” Junhyung took out his phone and held it high in the air. “No signal.” He said.

                I took out my phone and checked. There was no signal as well. I shook my head when he looked at me.

                “Just stay for the night. The airport is far from here. It’s dangerous to travel such a long distance in this harsh weather.”

                “I guess we’ll stay.” He looked at me for a respond and I agreed. “Sorry for the trouble.”

                “But one problem, there’s only one room. So you guys will have to share.”

***

                I spread my blanket on the wooden floor on one side of the room while Junhyung spread his on the other side.

                “Get to sleep early; we need to get back to Seoul by dawn.” I nodded and went to sleep.

                In the middle of the night I was awakened by a noise. I opened my eyes slightly to check. Junhyung got up from his sleep and quietly left the room. After a good half an hour he didn’t come back so I went to check. I peeked through the door. He was asleep on the couch in the living room.     

 

 

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

My Favorite chapter so far ^_^

Hopefully this would be yours too!