Chapter 3

Roses or Laurels?

 

“One could not pluck a flower without troubling a star.”

–Loren Eiseley

Jaelyn's POV:

                The next morning I could barely move my right foot. Did I overdo it? No, I can’t let this hinder me. I slowly went down to the studio to check for any news.

                “Jaelyn! What happened to you?” Miss Kim asked when she saw my foot.

                “Um, I kind of fell on glass.” I lied.

                “You can’t practice in this condition. Why don’t you go rest for a few days before coming to practice again?” she suggested.

                “No.” I said almost too loudly.

                “Huh?”

                “I mean, I’d rather go sit on there and watch you guys practice. It’ll be easier for me to catch up after I get better.”

                “Okay, if that’s what you want. But don’t stress too much on wanting to catching up, kay?”

                I agreed and went to sit on the bench. Over there, I saw Eunhee and Hyerin chattering away. They stopped right away when they saw me approaching. Eunhee eyed me from top to bottom, and then looked away in disgust. Geez, I wonder what the hell is wrong with this girl. Okay, whatever, I’ll just sit here and wait for the news.

                Hannah entered the studio. She seemed pissed. Of course she should be. She probably got the message that her role is canceled. I couldn’t help but feel a sense of happiness seeing her disappointed face. She saw me slightly smiling and glared at me.

                “Hannah!” Minjee waved. Hannah rolled her eyes in annoyance. I bet Minjee missed that. She went up to Hannah. “So how’d your practice with Junhyung oppa go?” She asked in anticipation.

                “I don’t want to even talk about it.” Hannah sat down just a few feet away from me. Minjee sat down next to her.

                “What do you mean?” I can’t wait to hear how Hannah will respond to that.

                “I went there, and Manager Lee told me he made a mistake.”

                “What? So does that mean you’re not going to be the girl in the MV anymore?”

                Hannah stared defiantly at Minjee. “Did you really need to say that out loud?” Her angry face was just too funny. I tried to keep myself from giggling. “What are you laughing at?” Uh oh, she must have noticed. She got up and stood over me.

                Luckily, the door opened up. Manger Lee stepped in. Hannah and all the other girls turned around. The time I was waiting for has finally come. Miss Kim went out to talk with Manager Lee. She came back with him in 10 minutes.

                “Okay girls, listen up. Manager Lee would like to make an announcement.” She said.

                “Miss Song Jaelyn will be casted as the female lead for Junhyung’s upcoming MV.” Manager Lee announced. I felt like screaming for joy in my head. All the girls turned to me in astonishment while Hannah glared at me with her deadly eyes. I feigned a surprised look, like I didn’t know what was going on. “You’ll have a week to practice for the filming.” He said to me. Then, he noticed my foot. I almost forgot that I was injured.

 

Junhyung’s POV:

                “I told you already it can only be her.” I repeated myself.

                “Don’t you know her foot is injured? How can we make it in time before the release date?” Manger Lee paced back and forth.

                I thought for a while. Then I gave him a response. “Postpone it.” I said.

                “What?? Are you crazy??”

                “Call up Director Park. Tell him to give me two more weeks.”

                “Junhyung ah, do you know how chaotic is the company right now because of you?”

                “I’ll be responsible if anything happens.”

                “That’s not the point. Do you know how much effort we put into this MV. If he refuses, it’ll be over for us.”

                “Are you going to call or not?” I shot him a look.

                “Yes ‘sir.” He obeyed and went out the door. Then he came back in a few minutes. “He wants to talk to you.” He handed me the phone.

                “Hello, Director Park? How you been?” I said calmly.

                “You… Yong Junhyung… you are trying to kill me right?” I could hear him huffing and puffing through the phone.

                “Now don’t say that. I just need two more weeks. I already found my partner, but she’s just not in the condition to practice. I promise I’ll give you a satisfying result in two weeks.”

                “Okay, two more weeks it is. If in two weeks, you give another excuse, I’ll go to the president and make sure it’s over for you,” he said still trying to hold down his anger.

                “Okay.” I gave the phone back to Manager Lee.

                “Hello? Director Park? Hello? Oh he hung up already?” He looked at the phone. “So what did he say? Did he agree to your request?”

                I smirked. He patted his chest and let out a sigh.  

 

Jaelyn’s POV:

                “What dirty tricks did you play?” Hannah pushed me against the wall.

                “What do you mean?” I said innocently and tried to escape.

                “Quit acting in front of me. You stole the role away from me.” She blocked me with her arms. I must restrain myself no matter how much I resent her.

                “First of all I don’t know why Junhyung would pick me. Secondly, what makes you think that the role belongs to only you?” I chose my words carefully.

                She raised her hand and I could tell she was about to slap me. I didn’t intend to defend myself. I shut my eyes tightly in preparing to endure it all. The slap didn’t come. I heard a gasp. I opened my eyes again. Someone was holding onto her arm. Yong Junhyung.

                “Violence is prohibited here. Don’t make yourself look bad.” He shifted his eyes toward the surveillance camera on the corner of the ceiling.

                Hannah pulled her arm out of his grasp. She stared at both of us, and then she walked off. I was going to let her slap me because I knew the camera was there. Oh well, either way works for me, Yong Junhyung or the supervisor from the surveillance room.

                “You alright?”

                “Um, yeah, why are you here?” This section of the building is where all the girls’ dorms are.

                “I came by this drop this off. I figured it would be useful to you while waiting for your injury to heal.” He handed me a CD.

                “Thanks.” I said.

                “I’ll see you around. Peace.”

                I waved at him. When he was finally out of sight I smiled to myself. It looks like it’s going to be easier than I thought.

                I studied the video he gave me. It was the choreography to MV. I watched it for hours until I memorize every single step so that I could start right away after the pain on my foot goes away. I must grasp tightly onto this fortuitous chance. I must make every bit of it perfect. That would be the only way I can be recognized.

 

Junhyung’s POV:

                I sat at my desk and got inspired to write lyrics. I had the melody from Jaelyn’s CD saved in my computer. I listened to it so many times that a story started to form in my head. It was the story of a lost child.

 

Burn the picture that held us

Erase memories I kept

I have to get up and leave

I know it so well

But why do I fall back?

Falling rain

Won’t let me see what’s in front of me

Raging wind

Won’t let me take even one step

And if I was standing at the edge of a cliff

I’m shaking in fear

With my small hands together

I pray for one thing only

Come back to me…

~

                I couldn’t believe I just finished writing the lyrics for the whole thing. I took the sheet and placed into my folder of lyrics that I wrote. It might come to use in the future.

 

Jaelyn’s POV:

                It has already been a week and my wound is completely healed. I could move freely without any hesitation. I spun around in the studio and laughed in excitement. I could finally dance.

                I started practicing to Junhyung’s song titled “Reflection.” The body movements are imprinted deeply into my mind. I closed my eyes and imagined as if my partner was with me. I started dancing effortlessly. When the song was over, I heard clapping from the door. I turned around and saw Junhyung leaning against the walls.  

                “That was pretty good despite lacking a partner.” He complimented.

                He clicked the replay button.

                “Now, let’s try this with a partner.” He went close behind me. I could feel him breathing on my neck, but somehow I didn’t feel uneasy at all.

                 The beginning was quiet. There was no sound at all. He began with his hands placed from behind on my shoulders. He brushed his finger softly from my face down my neck.  I didn’t move because that was part of the routine. I was supposed to be a motionless doll. My eyes were closed. Then, he slid his hands around my waist. I held onto his hands and my eyes slowly opened up. I could imagine the spotlight turning on and focusing on us as shown in the video from before. The music began. We started dancing. My mind was completely lost in the story created by the music. I forgot we were partners. I saw him as my lover.

                The music was finally over and I returned to being a doll. My lover left the spotlight. Then, the light turned off. I opened my eyes.

                “How was it?” I asked confidently. He looked dazed for a second.

                “Just do what you just did during the actual filming,” he replied.

                “I’ll make sure I won’t disappoint you.”

                He nodded and left the studio.

 

Junhyung’s POV:

                Her movements conveyed everything that I had in mind when I wrote “Reflection.” There was no doubt I chose the right person. I smiled slightly after I turned away from her. Then I left the studio.

                “We have to talk.” Hannah appeared from the corner of the hallway and startled me. Her expressions were mixed with seriousness and disappointment.

                “If it’s about the role, then it’s already been settled,” I said as I walked pass her. She wouldn’t stop following me.

                “I don’t get it. Why’d you cut me off? I need a reason.” She asked.

                “The reason would be that you’re not fitted for the role.”

                 “Everyone knows I have more experience than Jaelyn. She’s just an amateur. It hasn’t even been a month since she came here.”

                “I’ve partnered with several other dancers who started years before you. And I blew all of them off. What makes you think I should choose you?”

                “Why’d it have to be her?” she stated loudly. I stopped walking. “Why’d it have to be Song Jaelyn? Why couldn’t it be anyone else?”

                I turned around. “She possesses something that I couldn’t find in anyone else, the hunger for love.”

                “What do you mean?”

                “When you dance, what are you trying to achieve? What are you dancing for, perfection or pleasure?” She didn’t say anything so I walked away.    

***

                Manager Lee was snoring on my couch when I returned to my place.  I cleared my throat loudly. He jumped up and shook his head to wake himself up. Then, he mumbled something to himself.

                “How was it?” He came close to me and asked.

                “How was what?” I sat down on the couch.

                “Didn’t you say you were going to help her practice?”

                “It seems like she doesn’t need that help.”

                “Was she that amazing?”

                “I didn’t say anything like that.” I looked up at him.

                “I’ll take that as a yes. Yahoo!” He spun around a few times, and then jumped with joy. “I’m going to report to the president right now. He was all worried for the past few days and I didn’t know what to say to him. Have a good rest.” He charged out the door.

                “Yah! Don’t leave your things in my house!” I screamed after him when I saw the black bag he left behind on the table. I didn’t bother getting up to chase after him.

                Just one more week then Director Park can see with his own eyes.