Chapter 5

Roses or Laurels?


“When the flower blooms, the bees come uninvited.”

–Ramakrishna 

 

Junhyung’s POV:

                “Hyung!” A voice that I haven’t heard of for over a year called from behind.

                I turned around and saw Kikwang, who was like my brother during our trainee days in CUBE. My eyes widened as I couldn’t believe that he came back from his filming in Japan. He waved and came over.

                “Kikwang! When’d you arrive?” I hugged him. “Why didn’t you give me a call?”

                “I wanted to give you a surprise.” He smiled the same way as he did in the past. He used to make all the girls swoon over him with that smile.

                “Looks like you’re still the same old you.” I smiled back.

                I almost forgot that Jaelyn was standing next to me.

                “Oh, my bad, I forgot to introduce you guys.” I responded quickly. “This is Lee Kikwang, and this is Song Jaelyn, my partner. You probably saw her in my MV already, I assume.”

                Kikwang held out his hand. “I believe we’ve met before, Miss Song Jaelyn.” She took shook his hand without looking into his eyes.

                “What, you guys already knew each other? What was with my awkward introduction then?” I laughed it off.

                “Oh no, we weren’t really acquaintances, I’m glad you introduced.” Then, Kikwang whispered something in Jaelyn’s ear. What did he say to her? It made me somewhat uncomfortable but I didn’t ask.

 

Jaelyn’s POV:

                Oh my god, he is coming over. Please don’t recognize me. I shut my eyes pretending to be invisible which didn’t work out really well when Junhyung introduced us. He held out his hand and I shook it quickly. I didn’t dare look into his eyes.

                “I believe we’ve met before, Miss Song Jaelyn.” My body stiffened. He remembers me. He came close to me and whispered into my ears. “I watched the MV and I became a fan of yours. I hope I’m the first one you’re hearing from.” I could feel him smiling as he said that. Then, he pulled away. My whole face heated up. What kind of situation is this?

                “Isn’t that Kikwang sunbae?” I heard a girl exclaim. “Omo, it is him! It’s Kikwang sunbae!”

                “Sunbae can I have your autograph?” A few girls approached him. He turned his attention away from me. I became relieved.

                “I hope you enjoy your time here,” he winked at me before he walked away greeting the girls. It sent chills down the spine.

                Junhyung handed me a cup of something afterward. He probably noticed the uncomfortable situation. I didn’t know what it was, but I chugged the whole thing down because I needed to cool down. I couldn’t even taste the flavor of the drink. It felt carbonated. Then, my face felt even more heated.

                “Can I have another cup?” I requested. He stared at me in amusement. “What?” I asked.

                “Are you drunk?” He finally asked.

                “Wait what? How can I be?” I felt my face with my hands.

                “You’re weaker than I expected.” He held up another cup of the same thing he offered me before. “Champagne,” he raised his eyebrow. Then he drank it down in one shot.

                “Excuse me, I need the restroom.” My eyesight became blurred once a while. I felt a bit lightheaded.

                “You need me to guide you?”

                “No it’s okay. I can manage.” I walked unsteadily away.     

                On my way, I saw Hannah walking toward me. I felt a bit nauseous so I decided to ignore her, but she tilted the cup she was holding and the splashed the drink on me.

                “Whoopsie.” Hannah gasped. “I’m so sorry Jaelyn. I tried to dodge you but you kept walking in my way. Oh my gosh, are you drunk?” She exclaimed loudly. Everyone in the area turned their attentions to me. What do I do now? At that moment, I felt something over my shoulders, someone’s tux.

 

Junhyung’s POV:

                The hall became silent all of the sudden. There were some noises from a distance. I was curious so I looked around. I saw Jaelyn with Hannah. Wasn’t she going to the restroom? I walked closer to see what was with the commotions. I noticed that Jaelyn’s dress was soaked. Hannah was holding an empty cup in her hand. I immediately took off my tux and put it on Jaelyn.

                “You okay?” I went next to her.

                “Just… just please get me out of here,” she mumbled.

                I made an “okay” sign with my hand. Then, I put my hands on her shoulders and started walking. I gave Hannah a disappointed look. She gave me a “what?” face. Then, I walked pass her.

                “Everything okay here?” President Choi appeared.

                “Yeah, I’ll take care of her.” I replied. Then, I took Jaelyn into the van.

***

                “Are you sure you’re alright?” I asked again in the van.

                “I just ruined everything.” She said.

                “It’s okay.”

                “No it’s not okay!” She started sniffling. “I always managed to mess everything up! Because of that, no took me seriously no matter what I do.” Her speech was unclear. Was she really drunk?

                “It’s okay, it wasn’t your fault.” I patted her back trying to comfort her. Then she placed her head on my shoulder. I was startled.

                “Because of that, no one supported me, or believed in me, no matter how hard I try.” Her voice got softer.

                “Don’t worry; I’m here to support you, to believe in you.” My heart started racing all of the sudden. It felt hard to breathe so I loosened my collar. What is this feeling? Where the hell is Manager Lee? I quickly took out my phone and called him.

                “Yes?” He answered

                “Get over here right now.” I demanded.

 

Jaelyn’s POV:

                Ouch, my head aches. I rubbed my forehead when I woke up. I’m back in my dorm. What happened yesterday? The last thing I remembered was Hannah splashing champagne all over me. What happened after that? Who took me home? I smelled like alcohol so I washed up before going down to the studio.

                When I entered the studio, the girls looked at me and started whispering.

                “What is that smell just now?” Hannah pinched her nose. “Oh Jaelyn!” She pretended to just notice me. “How were you last night? I was really worried because you seemed you know…” I must stay calm even though I really wanted to shove that ice bottle in her hand down .

                “Oh hi Hannah.” I responded in a friendly tone. “I was fine yesterday. Thanks for your concern.” I smiled back.

                “Why’d I even ask? Of course you would be fine! Junhyung sunbae was there to take care of you while you were drunk,” she said slowly.

                Yong Junhyung was with me when I was drunk? Argh, why couldn’t I remember anything I said last night? Did I say anything that I wasn’t supposed to? I could see Junhyung passing by in the hall through the window.   

                “Um Miss Kim, I’ll be right back real quick.” I said.

                I ran out of the studio and caught up behind him. Wait, what do I call him? I never greeted him with a name before.

                “Sunbae!” I decided to call and he turned around.

                “Um, hey.” His expression became surprised, and then nervous.

                “Um… last night did…” I hesitated.

                “No!” He said cutting me off. “Nothing happened last night, nothing at all.” He seemed to be overreacting.

                “Wait, I wanted to ask, did I say anything last night?”

                “Oh.” He rubbed his hand behind his neck. “Nothing unusual. Why?”

                “Nothing, just wondering. I guess I’ll go now. Bye.” I went back to the studio. Why’d I even ask? If I really did say something, he would’ve come to me. Idiot.