Chapter 13

Roses or Laurels?

 

“And so our mothers and grandmothers have, more often than not anonymously,

handed on the creative spark, the seed of the flower they themselves never hoped to see -

or like a sealed letter they could not plainly read."

-Alice Walker

 

Jaelyn’s POV:

                “Jaelyn, go on your laptop right now!” Hyuna shouted through the phone.

                “Yeah, I just saw.” I swallowed my spit.

                “Is that really you??”

                “No.” I said right away. “Do you believe me?”

                “It doesn’t matter if I believe you or not. What matters is how the public thinks. Stay in your dorm, don’t go anywhere okay? I’m coming to pick you up.”

                “Okay, I won’t.” Then, I hung up.

                I lifted the curtain and looked out my window. There was a crowd in front of my building. Some of them were holding up signs. There were also paparazzi outside flashing with their cameras. I quickly put the curtain down and sat back. Is this going to be the end for me? No, I just need to deny that the girl in the picture is me.

 

Junhyung’s POV:

 

                I studied the girl in the picture of the magazine cover. Her face was blurred from the street lamps so I couldn’t tell if she’s Jaelyn. Wait, what am I even thinking? She can’t be Jaelyn. I placed the magazine down and rubbed my eyes. President Choi was pacing back and forth with the phone in his hand. It rang again.

                “Keep denying it until I give another order.” He said to a secretary. Then he dialed another number on the phone. “Hello, Hyuna? Is Jaelyn with you right now?... Get her on the line… Jaelyn? Listen to me; do not say anything to the paparazzi if they ask questions, okay? Get to CUBE first and we’ll discuss it.” He hung up and sat down across from me. He pulled his head backward and let out a deep breath.

                “That girl isn’t Jaelyn.” I said.

                “I believe in her too, but it’s no use if we can’t convince the angry crowd out there.” A throng of people was chanting outside CUBE. I could still hear them even though we were on the twelfth floor.

                “All she needs is an alibi right?” I asked.

                “Yea, but the picture was taken at midnight. Jaelyn was probably alone then, so the problem is that there is most likely no witness.”

                “So what do we do?”

                “Junhyung.” President Choi paused for a few seconds. “If Jaelyn tells us that she wasn’t with anyone last night. I’ll need your help.”

                “What is it?” I didn’t like the look in his eyes.

                “Tell the public that you were with her last night.”

                “What?!” I jumped up from my seat. “Why?”

                “I’ll need you guys to announce that you’re in a relationship.”

                “No, I can’t do that. What will Jaelyn think?” I refused right away.

                “Please, I beg you. It’s for Jaelyn’s sake. Didn’t you say she has the potential to make it big? Why let this scandal end her career?”

                “What if she refuses?” I started to change my mind.

                “I’ll find a way to convince her. It’s all an act anyway.”

                “Only if she agrees.”

                “Okay.”

 

Jaelyn’s POV:

 

                “Jaelyn, come down right now…” Her voice got muffled by the crowd outside. “I’ll hold them back when you come out. Quickly!”

                I put on a sweater and left my dorm. When I opened the entrance door, Hyuna appeared and helped me put on shades.

                “It’s Song Jaelyn!” A girl pointed out.  

                Hyuna started pushing the people aside so I could walk through. I got into the van safely and she started driving. I stared at the mirror and could see the people running after us.

                “There’s an even bigger crowd in front of CUBE.” She warned. Her phone rang. “Hello, President Choi? She right here. We’re on the way to CUBE at the moment…. okay hold on.” She handed the phone to me. “The president wants to speak to you.”

                “Hello?” I said nervously.

                “Jaelyn? Listen to me; do not say anything to the paparazzi if they ask questions, okay?”

                “Okay, I understand.”

                “Get to CUBE first and we’ll discuss it.”

 

                Hyuna parked the van in front of CUBE. The people noticed us right away and started charging toward us. When I got off, cameras started flashing. I tried blocking them with my hands. Microphones were being pointed at me.

                “Miss Song Jaelyn, is it true that you lied about your profile?”

                “Is that girl in the picture really you?”

                “How are you planning to explain to the public?”

                Questions after questions overlapped each other.

                “Excuse me, but Jaelyn can’t answer your questions right now. She’s going to hold a press conference later to clear up the misunderstanding.” Hyuna yelled over everyone, but they wouldn’t stop pushing.

                “That girl in the picture isn’t Jaelyn.” A voice claimed loudly.

                The paparazzi turned around to look. “It’s Lee Kikwang!” One yelled. Then, they started shooting their cameras at Kikwang. All attentions went on him. “Kikwangshi, did you just say the girl isn’t Song Jaelyn?” They asked.

                “Yep.” He looked confident. What are you up to now Kikwang?

                “How do you know for sure? You should know that we’re not leaving without an explanation.”

                “Of course I know that. Jaelyn was with me last night.” Everyone gasped at his words. The crowd opened up as he started walking toward me.

                “Wait, what do you mean? So are you saying that there is a relationship between you and Song Jaelyn?” They became interested. Kikwang finally reached me.

                “Yes, we’re dating.” I was surprised by his response. He mouthed the words “trust me” quickly before he wrapped his arms around my waist pulling me closer to him. Then, our lips locked. The flashes from the cameras made me close my eyes as I stayed in this pose.

 

Junhyung’s POV:

 

                I was standing at the entrance of CUBE watching. I saw them kiss for the third time. I guess I was a step too late. My phone vibrated and I picked it up.

                “How’s the situation outside?” President Choi asked.

                “Everything is solved now.” I dropped the phone from my ear. Everything felt like it was in slow motion. I wanted time to fast forward as I watched them still locked in the same position. I wanted to take my eyes off them but I couldn’t. He finally let go of her and smiled.

***

                “Are you guys really going out?” I asked when she was alone in the hall.

                “Yeah, we are.” She answered. My heart sank.

                “Was that why you were avoiding me?”

                “Wait, how is that even related?”

                “Cause you know that I like you.” I couldn’t believe I just said that. But there was no holding back. She stared at me in amusement.

                “What are you guys talking about?” Kikwang appeared and embraced her from behind. He smiled sweetly at her.

                “Uh, nothing much. So, when’d you guys get together?” I thought of something to distract myself from my own thoughts.

                “About two weeks ago. Sorry for not telling you earlier hyung. I wanted to make sure our relationship is stabled first.”

                “No no, it’s okay. Congrats, you finally succeeded.” I forced a smile and patted him on the back.

                “Thanks hyung.” Kikwang said.

                “Well, I’m going to go now. I have an activity to attend.” I lied. I could sense Jaelyn studying me as I walked away.