Chapter 20

Roses or Laurels?

“For happiness one needs security,

but joy can spring like a flower even from the cliffs of despair.”

-Anne Morrow Lindbergh

 

                “Wait up!” I called after the bus whose doors almost closed on me.

                My hands ran clumsily over my jacket zipper as I had my focus on the bus. The driver looked at the mirror and saw me running for the door. He gave an agitated expression, but he waited for me, and I was glad.

                “Weren’t you the girl who was also late last week?” The driver asked.

                “Joesonghabnida!” I apologized loudly.

                All the passengers in the bus turned toward me. I looked away embarrassingly and quickly took an empty seat. I my IPod and plugged the ear phones into my ears.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSCPgf2eykM

 

                Let me introduce myself. My name is Song Junhye. My position is a host for DJ Rose’s Midnight Program and also a part-time errand runner for the company. Why rose? Because it was the first thing I remember seeing. You’ll get it later as I explain.

                Right now I’m on my way to work. I’m not usually late, but these days, I had to help babysit the landlady’s children in return for lowering the rent. I split the rent with my roommate Amber. Talking about Amber, it was all thanks to her that I’m here today. Without her, I wouldn’t have known what to do. Our first meeting was a strange one.

                I remember opening my eyes and my mind was blank. All I could remember is that my name is Park Junhye and some vague images from the past, but everyone in my memory don’t exist. I realized I was at a hospital. There were fresh roses in a vase in front of me so I knew someone just visited. I ran out of my room but there was no one that I know in sight, or perhaps no one I could remember.

                The nurses were surprised to see me.

                “You finally woke up!” One exclaimed.

                “Wait, what is going on?” I asked.

                “You’ve been asleep for two month.”

                I was shocked and confused at the same time. I couldn’t explain these mixed feelings inside me. I felt like a part of me was missing. I couldn’t get myself to ask anymore. I didn’t know why I did it, but I ran out of the hospital. I didn’t realize how cold. I don’t remember where I lived and what I was supposed to be doing. It was like I lost my identity. At the moment when I was about to lose all hopes, Amber appeared.

                I forgot where the hospital was because all I was too traumatized. I was curled up against the corner of the street to keep myself warm. I thought it was the end of me. Her curious eyes look at me. Her hair was cut short and her figure was charismatic. 

                “Have I seen you somewhere before?” She asked.

                “Me? Do you know me? My head is empty. I can’t remember anything.” My voice was shaking from the cold and my eyes were swelling up.

                She held out her hand to me. I was surprised.

                “Come with me. You seem like you can be useful.” She said in a voice as bitter as possible.

                When a stranger asks a person to go with him or her, that person usually wouldn’t go, but I felt like I could trust her.       

                It doesn’t matter if I remember my past anymore. If my heart decided for me to forget everything, I will follow it.

 

*** 

 

                Today I’m especially hyped because it is going to be my one hundredth day on my career. I stepped out of the bus at my stop. The sky seems extra bright and the air feels warm. It feels like another new start. I took a deep breath and entered the building.

                “Congratulations on your 100th day!” My coworkers shouted when I opened the door to the office. Confetti’s fell from above me.

                “Omo, did you prepare all of this? Kamsamnida!” I laughed in excitement.

                Then, I looked around again. “Where’s Amber?”

                “Here!” My friend rushed in with a box in her hand and President Yoon in the other. He pulled away from Amber in annoyance.  

                “Oh the cake is here!” One of my coworker exclaimed. “And the President too!”

                “Of course he’s here. How can the boss not congratulate his employee? Right Doojoon?” Amber smiled devilishly.

                “Aish! Why are you dropping the honorifics again?”

                “Don’t you have something to tell Junhye?” Amber ignored President’s words.

                “Yeah, um… congrats, here’s your present.” He looked uncomfortable and a bit embarrassed as he handed me the bag.

                “Kamsamnida, President! You didn’t have to.” I accepted the gift gratefully.

                “Of course he has to or he’ll look stingy,” Amber said.

                “Yah! You…”

                “Okay let’s cut the cake!” Someone yelled.

                Amber timed the camera and jumped into the screen with the rest of us. She pushed President Yoon in as well.

                “Smile!” A piece of our memory is, then, locked into the tiny picture.

                It felt like I have experienced something like this in the past. It was nice and heartwarming. It was good to know that there were moments like this, that there were people who I cherished. But, now these people in the picture are the ones I cherish the most.

 

Junhyung’s POV:

 

                 Manager Lee played the recorded radio show that I missed last night. I’m currently in the van being driven back to CUBE.

 

                “Annyunghaseyo, DJ Rose’s Midnight Show is on air again. Today the topic that we’ll be touching on is memory.  Have you ever experienced a moment that you’ll want to remember forever? Please do message me at ______ if you want to share your story of that moment or a song that reminds you of that moment. I’ll be receiving message starting now.

                I’ll share a piece of my memories while we wait for the messages. Like you listeners, I have these kinds of moments in the past. Even though they are very vague, I can still remember the emotions that I felt and pieces of images. It was a beautiful place. I remember that I was in a golden wheat field. The breeze was comfortable. The sky darkened and it started to rain. At that moment, someone took my hand from behind. I don’t remember who it belonged to, but the hand felt warm. That person was probably someone important to me. If you think you’re that person please message me! You’re listening right? Okay, let’s take a look at the messages…”

   

                “Manager Lee, which broadcasting station host this show?” I asked.

                “Seoul FM. You’re always listening to this and yet you don’t know?”

                “Take me there.” I demanded.

                “Wait, how about President Choi? He said he wanted-“

                “I’ll take care of it later.”

                “Okay,” Manager Lee made a U-turn. “By why?”

                I paused for a second. “The DJ, there’s a possibility that she’s Jaelyn.

                “What? Again? How long do you plan on searching for her? It’s been a year already.”

                “Stop talking, just drive.”

                Manager Lee sighed and drove quietly.

                “We’re here.”

                I put on some shades and a cap to disguise myself before I left the van. I pushed open the glass door and stepped into the building. When I entered the recording room, there was someone sitting on the chair.