Chapter 15

Roses or Laurels?

"A radical generally meant a man who thought

he could somehow pull up the root without affecting the flower.

A conservative generally meant a man who wanted to conserve everything

except his own reason for conserving anything."

-Gilbert K. Chesterton

 

               

Junhyung’s POV:

 

                I went to Studio A to look for her but she wasn’t there. Dang it. I should have stopped her before. My mind was in the state of turmoil. I didn’t know what I should do. I calmed down a bit after seeing that Yoseob was there.

                “Yong Sunbae?” He called.

                “Hey Yoseob…” I started fidgeting for the right words.

                “Anything I can do for you?”

                “Uh no. Sorry, but I have to go now.” I turned around for the door.

                “She’s at the building’s entrance right now.” I froze as I heard him. How did he know? “You should tell her before it’s too late.”

                “Thanks a lot.” I said before I left.

                “I wish you best of luck.”

                I ran straight to the elevator and started spamming on the down button, but there was no response. I thought for a second and went for the staircase. Jaelyn, don’t leave yet. Please wait. Just one minute is enough.

 

 Jaelyn’s POV:

 

                I stepped out of the building with my eyes still swollen. Kikwang was waiting there. He looked up and noticed my eyes right away.

                “Why are you here? I thought you went home.” I tried to speak in a clear voice.

                “I was worried. Are you okay?”

                “Yes.” Soon my voice gave in.

                “Don’t lie to me.” he put his hands on my shoulders. “You cried.” He stared into my eyes which made me turn away from him.

                “It’s hard.” I finally broke into tears. Then I threw myself against him.

                “It’s okay, you can tell me.” He placed his hands on my back.

                “I can’t do this anymore!” I choked out. “I tried. I kept telling myself to stay strong and just continue with what I’m doing, just act as the usual Jaelyn, but every time I see him, I feel like I’m hurting him some more.”

                “Who? Are you talking about hyung…?” He whispered. I nodded as a response.

                “I don’t know what’s happening to me. I thought maybe it was guilt. I wanted to tell him that I’ve been using him. I wanted to tell him that I’m not really the Jaelyn that he sees, that I’m a fake, and that I purposely made him fall for me so I can rise up. I wanted to tell him everything! But… I think I fell for him too.” I managed to mumble the last line out. Trails of tears continue to drip down my face. I could hear Kikwang breathing in deeply.

                “Jaelyn?” Junhyung’s voice came from behind.

                I immediately pushed myself away from Kikwang and faced Junhyung. The moment has come. The secrets are exposed as I wanted. But not in this way.

                “Junhyung, listen to me…” I said.

                “Jaelyn, please tell me what you just said is not true.” I couldn’t read his expression.

                “Junhyung…” I called his name in shame.

                “Just tell me it’s not true. I’ll believe you.” His words made me feel guiltier, more regret.

                “Junhyung… I’m sorry…” I could barely speak as I tried to suppress my tears. I know I shouldn’t be the one in pain, but I was. I took a few steps toward him, but he stepped back.

                “Don’t come any closer.” He warned. “Who are you?” His voice sounded so distant for the first time. I felt like I was torn into bits. My whole body froze.  

                “Hyung, please let her explain.” Kikwang said.

                “Kikwang, I know that you like her a lot, but how could you have helped her deceive me? You’re like a brother to me.” He shook his head and stepped back in disbelieve. His eyes became red. 

                Just then, Hannah opened the door and came out.

                “Sunbae? You told me to wait, but you didn’t come back so-” Her sentence was cut off when Junhyung turned around and pulled her toward him. Then, his placed his lips on hers. I was shocked at the scene. I couldn’t bear to look anymore so I turned away and started running.

                “Jaelyn!” Kikwang called from behind but I didn’t stop. I didn’t know where to go but anywhere was better than there.

                As I ran, the old man’s words came back to my head. Don’t admire it too much or it’ll end up ruining you. They kept replaying over and over again like some sort of chant. Don’t admire it too much or it’ll end up ruining you. I kept running as if I was trying to run away from my thoughts. Don’t admire it too much or it’ll end up ruining you. Before I knew it, I was out in the middle of the streets.

                Suddenly, a honk came from somewhere. I looked in all directions. The lights from the cars blinded my vision. Where do I go now? The honking got louder and louder. Finally, I saw that a truck was speeding toward me and was unable to stop. My legs failed to move. I felt a sharp pain smacked against the back of my head. Then, I couldn’t feel my body at all as I landed flat on the ground. My fingers were numb and stiff. My body was paralyzed. Someone picked me up by my back and called my name.

                “Jaelyn! Jaelyn! Please wake up!” He screamed. “I’m sorry, I’m sorry I couldn’t save you this time. If only I ran a little faster…” His voice died out as my vision out. I soon realized I was dying. Don’t admire it too much or it’ll end up ruining you.

 

 

 

                “Grandpa, I’m sorry.”

                “For what?”

                “I thought I could help them, but I messed up.”

                “Don’t worry, none if it was your fault. Like I said before, some things cannot always be foretold. Fate had her. The result would’ve been the same.”

                “But I acted as the catalyst.”

                “Don’t you worry, child, one cannot always judge by the obvious.”

                “You mean, there’s still hope?”

                “It’s not for sure, but we’ll wait and see. It all depends on the will of either party.”

                “Will?”

                “The willingness to find the answer.”