Chapter 19

Roses or Laurels?

~One year later~

 

 

 

 

“She had already allowed her delectable lover to pluck that flower which,

so different from the rose to which it is nevertheless sometimes compared,

has not the same faculty of being reborn each spring.”

–Marquis de Sade

 

Junhye’s (Jaelyn) POV:

 

                “… DJ Rose’s Midnight Show is coming to an end for tonight. Winter is here and Christmas is on its way, so make sure to buckle up and stay warm! And here’s DJ Rose’s message of the day: Cherish the people who you love because that’s a factor of warmth. Going off air in 3, 2, and 1.” I took my headset off and let out a deep sigh of relief.

                A knock came from the glass window. I looked up and saw Amber standing outside the recording room. She waved at me with one hand and held up takeout on the other. My stress left me as soon as I realized how hungry I was. I grabbed my jacket off the chair and went out to the lounge with my roommate.

                I smiled brightly as I uncovered the lid from the box of kimbap and stuffed them into my mouth like I’ve never had any before. I ate so fast that I began choking. Amber handed me a bottle of water. I drank it and patted my chest.         

                “Geez, eat slowly. It’s all yours.”  

                “Really? Thanks.”

                “It would be hard for any guy to believe how much you eat. If your boyfriend ever sees you like that, he’ll probably run away.”

                “Heh, I’m not planning on getting one.” I continued eating.

                “Junhye ah, are you sure you were never a celebrity before? You seriously look really familiar.”

                “Not that I know of. Hey, how many times have you asked already?”

                “I don’t know. I mean you have the looks for it. You should audition and give it a shot.”

                “Haha, you’re funny, I can’t even sing or dance.”

                “Then, be a model.” Amber grinned.

                “No thanks, I like my job and who I am right now.”

                “I really don’t get you. Why would you like staying up at midnight just to host a radio show? Most people are already asleep. That Yoon Doojoon is an idiot. I want to hit him in the head sometimes.”

                “I still have listeners.” I smiled. “And stop calling President Yoon by his name.”

                “Not enough listeners.” She ignored my comment. “Is Yoon Doojoon still in his office?”

                “Yeah, he said he’ll leave a little later today.”

                “Good.” Amber got up quick and headed for the door.

                “Where are you going?”

                “To ‘President Yoon.’”

                “Wait you’re not going to really smack him on the head are you?!” I got up quickly.

                “I can’t take this anymore. You have to stay up late every night before of this stupid schedule. I’m going to have him change it to the afternoon or something.”

                “Wait no! I requested it to be that way.” I stopped her.

                “Really?”

                “Mhm, I like it when the building is empty. I feel more comfortable.”

                “Like boss, like employee.”

                “Huh?”

                “An idiot.” She flicked my head playfully.

                “Ow.” I exclaimed.

                “Are you done eating?”

                “Nope, I’m going to stay for a while, you can leave first.”

                “Are you sure?”

                “Yes, good bye,” I pushed Amber out the door quickly.

                “Remember to-“

                “Don’t come home too late.” I finished for her. “Bye!” I gave a lively wave.

                My roommate slipped on her cap, stuck her hands in her pockets and disappeared down the hall.

                I went back to the place outside the recording room. I pushed the table and chairs aside. I the music, a very slow and smooth one. And then, I let it take over my body.

 

Junhyung’s POV:

 

                A mob of reporters rushed toward us and my partner, Hannah, and I got out of the van. Manager Lee and the security guards tried to hold them back. The reporters started flashing with their cameras.

                We managed to reach into the conference hall.

 

                “Junhyungssi and Hannahssi, were you expecting to win the Best Couple Golden Award?”

                “I actually surprised. I believe it was the impact of our latest film.” I replied.

                “Wow, you guys really look nice together. Can you please stand closer together, so we can have a nice shot?”

                “Sure,” Hannah smiled and pulled me closer. “Smile or it’ll look bad.” She muttered under her smile. I feigned one.

                “Junhyungssi and Hannahssi, since there are so many fans out there support you guys as a couple. Do you plan on taking your relationship a step further?”

                “No, we’re just partners,” I said.

                “Junhyungssi doesn’t seem to have any feelings toward you, Hannahssi, how do you feel about him?”

                “I’m the same as Junhyung. Like he said, we’re just ‘partners.’” Her voice sounded slightly irritated.

                The conference is finally over. I approached Hannah in her waiting room. She was getting her makeup touched up. She looked up at me.

                “You can leave for now,” she told the makeup artist.

                I went inside when the person left.

                “What was with the attitude out there? Even if you were annoyed, you should have hid it. That was really unprofessional of you,” I said.

                “Me, unprofessional? You looked like you couldn’t wait to get out of there before.”

                “Okay, I admit I made a mistake today. I apologize. I was just a bit stressed.”

                “I’m not angry at that. I was annoyed by the ‘we’re just partners.’”

                “What else was I supposed to say then? We are partners.”  

                “You could at least say it said something more less cold.”

                “Then, why do you speak for me next time?” I sighed and turned around to leave her alone.

                “You’re still not over her.”

                “Please don’t bring her up.”

                “Get over it. It’s already been a over a year. She’s gone.”

                I left the room without talking back to her.

                The conference hall was finally cleared up. I went into the van where Manager Lee is.

                “Where’s Hannah?” He asked.

                “She’s leaving a little later. Her manager will pick her up.”

                “Oh okay. And you asked me to record this for you last night since you were busy.”

                “I did?”

                “Yep, do you want me to play it?”

                “Sure.”

                “Annyunghaseyo, this is DJ Rose’s Midnight Show on air. Today we’re…”

                I closed my eyes and listened to the DJ’s soothing voice before I fell asleep.