Chapter 5

Roses or Laurels?

“When you take a flower in your hand and really look at it, it's your world for the moment.

I want to give that world to someone else.

Most people in the city rush around so, they have no time to look at a flower.

I want them to see it whether they want to or not.”

–Georgia O’Keeffe

 

 

Jaelyn’s POV:

                After practice, I found a tux on my bed when I go back to my dorm. Where’d that come from? I must’ve not noticed it this morning when I was in a rush. Does it belong to Junhyung? I should return this personally to him. This might help expand our relationship. I took the tux and went back down to the building. I couldn’t find Junhyung anywhere. Luckily, I saw Manager Lee passing by in the hall.

                “Hey Manager Lee.” I called.

                “Yes what is it, Jaelyn?”

                “Is sunbae here at the moment?”

                “No, actually I’m going to him right now.” Dang it. If I ask to go with him, it’ll sound really obvious.

                “Do you mind giving this back to him?” I finally held up the tux. I’ll try to get another chance to meet him next time.

                “I think he would prefer it more if you hand it to him in person.”

                “Oh,” I was a bit relieved by his words.

                “Are you finished with practice?”

                “Yeah, pretty much.” I answered. Please take me to him.

                “Why don’t you come along with me to Itaewon then? He’s just there to observe his friend’s CF shoot since he had nothing to do.” Bingo.  

                “Sure.” I agreed.

 

Junhyung’s POV:

                When I arrived at the site, people were rushing all over the place. Kikwang’s Manager Seok kept dialing his phone. I saw Kikwang sitting on a chair so I approached him. He looked frustrated because his placed his hand on his head.

                “Everything alright here?” I asked.

                “Hyung!” He stood up from his chair. “Why are you here?”

                “I had nothing to do. And since this is your first CF shoot in Korea, I thought I’ll check on you. So how is it?”

                “Kikwang ah, there’s still no news from them!” Manager Seok appeared. Kikwang seemed agitated.

                “What happened?” I asked.

                “My partner for the CF shoot is not showing up. No one could reach her or her manager.” He sighed.

                “Do you know her?”

                “Nope, I heard she’s a rookie.” He looked down at his watch.

                “Where the hell is she? The whole world is waiting for her! If she doesn’t show up or respond in 15 more minutes, we’ll replace her.” The guy who I assumed to be the director said.

                “I’ll… um… keep calling.” Manager Seok resumed to dialing on his phone.

                “Wait.” Kikwang held up his hand to halt him. “Don’t need to call anymore.”

                “Huh?”

                “I want her to replace my partner.” He grinned and pointed his finger over me.

                I turned around to look who it was. I saw Manager Lee’s van parked there. Coming out of the van with Manager Lee was a girl with long, red hair with a clueless face. When she saw me, she started walking toward us.

 

 

Jaelyn’s POV:

                It was blazing hot when I got out of the van. I scanned my eyes through the crowd for Junhyung. I found him standing at a shady area. I was ready to go and thank him, then go buy him a drink or something. I started walking toward him.

                “Um, I came to return this.” I handed him the tux.

                A man came in front of me all of the sudden. He started studying my face. I stepped backward.

                “Using her might work too,” he said. What’s going on here?

                “Wait, what’s happening?” I asked the guy.

                “Well the original model for the CF shoot is M.I.A. It’s hard to find another model to replace her. Do you mind helping us out?” He asked.

                “How?”

                “We need you to replace her.”

                “Uh, sure.” This is my chance to be recognized more. “But, who am I doing this CF shoot with?”

                “Mister Lee Kikwang of course.” He pointed at the person sitting down behind Junhyung. Kikwang waved and smiled at me. No way.

                “Sure, I’ll do it. Why not?” I said confidently. I cannot let this opportunity go even though I didn’t really want to collaborate with Lee Kikwang.

                “Miss _____!” The guy called. “Bring her to the dressing room.”

                A lady came and took me with her.

                “Okay! The whole world, get ready!” He yelled from behind as I followed the lady to the dressing room to get prepared.

***

                It was a CF shoot for a type of mint candy.

                 “Look surprised when you see the male!”  

                “Yes, just like that! Now walk closer toward each other. Look curious.”

                “Stare into each other’s eyes more affectionately.”

                “Get closer together.”

                “Put your hand on her neck. Now kiss her.” Kiss?? Did I hear wrong? No one told me we were supposed to kiss. I tried to move back, but he held onto my neck and pulled me closer to him.

                “Act professional, why mess it up now?” Kikwang muttered under his breath. When his lips met mine, I froze. I could taste the sweetness of the mint on his lips.

                “Look as if your breath is being taken away!”

                At last he pulled away from me slowly.

                “Now smile intimately. Okay, cut!”

                I pushed him away quickly after I heard the word “cut.” He his lips and smiled at me.

                “Good job team!” The director gave us a thumbs up.

 

Junhyung’s POV:

                When I heard the director telling them to kiss, I felt uncomfortable. I felt like going up there and stopping them. I know it’s just work, but why do I feel this way? When they kissed, I wanted it to be over soon. My hands felt sweaty. What’s wrong with me? I took a bottle of water and started gulping the whole thing.

                “Okay, cut!” I felt more relaxed after it ended.

                Jaelyn stepped down from the scene. She looked dazed.

                “You okay?” I asked.

                “Uh, yeah. Where’s the bathroom?” She asked. I pointed the way.

                I could see Kikwang still looking at her and smiling as she walked away. I didn’t like that look. He finally stepped down from the scene.

                “How was it for a first time?” He asked.

                “Pretty good.” I said blandly.

                “C’mon, let’s go.” He put his arm over my neck.

                “Where are we going?”

                “To get a drink. I’m dying here.”

                “Manager Lee, can you take Jaelyn back to the studio after she comes out? I’ll go back with Kikwang later.” I asked before I left.

                “Of course.” He replied.

***

                “When are you going to stop smiling?” I waved my hand in front of his face.

                “I don’t know. I can’t help it.” He sipped from the straw of the drink.

                “I noticed that you’ve been a lot happier since you came back.”

                “Because I get to see hyung.” He answered still smiling.

                “Is it really just because of me?” I stared curiously into his eyes.

                “Okay, I’ll admit half of it is not because of you.” he finally gave in. He covered his eyes with his hand in embarrassment.

                “I knew it. So what is it?”                                

                “Have you ever fallen in love before?”

                “Me? No. Why?”

                “She wouldn’t leave my mind since I met her. I feel really happy every time I see her. Is this the feeling of love I wonder?” He closed his eyes.

                “Really, you like someone? Congrats, there’s finally someone who can capture the heart of this prince.” I applauded.

                “Hey hyung, don’t make it sound like I have high standards. My standards are actually pretty simple.”

                “Did you ask her yet?”

                “Nope, not yet, I don’t think she likes me that much.”

                “Woah, which girl out there would even think of disliking you?”

                “You know her, too. She’s Jaelyn.”

                “Jaelyn?” I said in a surprised tone.

                “Yes, Song Jaelyn.”

                “What’s do you like about her?” I hoped he was just fooling around.

                “Hmm… I don’t really know. But I couldn’t stop staring at her.” He replied sincerely. “Hyung, you seem pretty close to her. You’ll help me out right?” He stared at me mischievously.

                “Actually no, I’m not close to her at all. Our relationship only gets as far as dance partners.” I responded quickly.

                “Oh.” He stopped smiling. “I guess I’ll have to put more effort, then.” He stood up from his chair and started walking back. “Hyung, aren’t you coming?” He turned around and saw me still sitting on the chair preoccupied with thoughts.

                “Yeah, of course.”