Chapter 14

Roses or Laurels?

Jaelyn’s POV:

 

                I lied again. He asked me, but I lied again. But my lie made him reveal his feelings. I don’t know if I did the right thing this time. I couldn’t respond to his words. My feelings were mixed. Why does my head feel so troubled? 

                “What’s troubling you?” I snapped right out of my thoughts when Kikwang waved his hand in front of my face.

                “Oh, uh, nothing much.”

                “Are you worried that someone will find out?” He asked.

                “No, it’s not that.” I looked around and saw people staring and talking about us. Some were talking pictures of us. It happens everywhere we go now. We attract attention.

                “Wait here. I’ll be right back.” He got up from the bench at the park and ran toward the direction of the streets. He got covered by the forest of trees as he ran farther. I sat there alone and waited as he told me to.

                He came back fifteen minutes later. He hand was clenched. He quickly sat down beside me and opened his hand. There were two rings.

                “Rings?” I asked.

                “Couple rings.” He corrected. He took one and helped me put it on. “Now people wouldn’t suspect us.” He smiled. Then he put on his own. I started pulling the ring off my finger. “Hey, what are you doing?”

                “Do we have to go this far?” I kept pulling but the ring wouldn’t budge as if it was locked down.

                Kikwang held onto my hands. “If the ring refuses to come off, then just keep it on.” He whispered. I nodded obediently as if I was cursed from his stare.

                “Come on, let’s go.” He pulled me up.

                “Where?”

                “Have you forgotten? We have a radio show to attend.”

***

                “Welcome Kikwangshi and Jaelynshi, your fans have been anticipating you,” the DJ greeted.

                “Annyunghaseyo,” we both said.

                “As you both already know, the announcement that you guys are dating has taken the public by storm. How long have you guys been together?”

                “About 2 weeks.” Kikwang answered.

                “Ah, 2 weeks, then that is really recent. So for this session we’ll be accepting some questions from the fans. Here’s the first question. Who asked who out?”

                “I’ve been chasing after her for about half a year.”

                “Woah, half a year? Then, you must like her a lot.”

                “You can say that.”

                “Here’s a second question from the fans. What do you guys like about each other?”

                “Well, I like her determination.” Kikwang replied first.

                “That’s all? I was expecting you to say that part of the reason is that she’s very pretty.”

                “And yes, of course, Jaelyn is very beautiful.” He smiled at me.

                “How about you, Jaelynshi? What do you like about Kikwangshi?” I was lost for words. How should I answer her? After a long pause, she started talking again. “Ah, you must be feeling shy right now. But that’s okay, the fans will understand.”

                “Yea, she’s very shy.” Kikwang said.

                “Now let’s go on to the third question. This one is an interesting one. How many times have you both kissed?” The DJ asked enthusiastically. “Why don’t you each write it down on a piece of paper?” She handed each of us a notepad. If the CF shoot counts then it should be two times so I scribbled the number two on the pad. The DJ collected our answers and read it.

                “Jaelynshi said two times… but Kikwangshi said three times?” I was surprised. I don’t remember kissing three times.

                “Actually there is a kiss that she didn’t know about.” Kikwang scratched the back of his head. “It was during the day of Jaelyn’s debut performance. She was asleep when I kissed her secretly.”

                “Oh, so that’s why. I thought Jaelynshi was careless for not remembering. So I was surfing the net today and saw that a fan uploaded an image of you putting a ring on Jaelynshi. Is that a couple ring?”

                “Yes, it is.”

                “May I see it?” We both showed her our hands. “Ah, it’s very pretty. Was it a last minute thing?”

                “No.” Kikwang answered. “I bought it long ago before Jaelyn’s debut. I was hoping that one day she’ll accept me, and then I’ll give her the ring.” I stared at him with a startled expression.

                “Jaelynshi did you know anything about this?”

                “No, I was surprised.” I answered.

                “You must be really touched, because I even my heart is racing just by listening to Kikwangshi. It seems that the session is about to end soon. Do you have any final messages to the fans?”

                “Saranghaeyo! I’m Lee Kikwang, Please continue to support us as a couple.”

                “Good evening, I’m Song Jaelyn, please continue to love me and anticipate more amazing songs from me in the future.”

                “Good bye.” We all said before the show went off-air.

***

                The night was silent so the grass rustled under our feet as we strolled through the soccer field after the show. Kikwang took me by surprise when he suddenly grabbed onto my hand tightly.

                “There’s someone watching,” He said as he continued to look only ahead. I turned my head sideway to check who was watching, but he pulled my head against him. “Don’t look,” he said. “We’ll look suspicious.” So I looked forward like he did. Our hands were still linked together and my head was nearly on his shoulder. We walked across the seemingly forever field in that awkward position.

                “Kikwang ah,” I said.

                “Hmm?”

                “How long are we going to stay like this?”

                “After we get into the building.”

                “No, I mean how long are we going to pretend?”

                He stopped walking and let go of my hand. Then, he faced me. “I’m sorry that you have to go through this, but it’s not going to be anytime soon. It might ruin your image if we part too early.” His expression was serious. It was unlike any I’ve seen in him before.

                “Kikwang, you’ve changed,” I said.

                “I did?”

                “Yes, you’ve matured a lot.” I didn’t know if I was supposed to be glad or not.

                “It was because of you.” He grabbed my hand again, but lightly this time. It felt strange, but comfortable. His eyes haven’t left mine yet.

                “Kikwang…” I whispered.

                “I know that you’re not ready to accept me yet, but I’m willing to wait. I believe that if I wait long enough, you’ll change your mind.” I wanted to tell him “sorry” but my heart trembled as I tried to speak. I could barely move my mouth.

                “I’m going back to the studio.” I suddenly said to shift the mood. I looked away from him.

                “I’ll take you.” He suggested.

                “No it’s okay, you should rest early. I just need to go back and retrieve something.” I pulled away from his hand and ran off. Nice job, Jaelyn, you just ran away for no reason.

***

                One of the lights of Studio A was still on. A blonde boy was busy organizing equipments on the shelf.  As expected, Yoseob was there. His back was facing me as I approached him.

                “Yoseob?” I called out.

                “You came, Jaelyn.” He turned around.

                “We need to talk.” I said.

                I realized right after that I didn’t know what to talk about. He must have noticed that I was lost for words so he began.

                “So did you confess yet?” He asked.

                “Huh?” I was confused.

                “Last time you asked that hypothetical question. That person was you right?”

                I didn’t answer him, but he probably knew what that meant. There was no reason to keep anything from him. “I didn’t tell him yet.” I finally answered.

                “As a friend I’ll give you this advice. It’s about time you reveal the truth. He’ll forgive you.” His words felt like magic. They took control of me.

                “I think I should too…” I said under my breath.

                “I believe that person is nearby.”

                “You think?” He nodded confidently. “Thanks a lot Yoseob.” I said before I turned around and let my instinct guide me. I ended up in Studio B. He was in there. I was about to open the door, but I found out that he wasn’t alone.

 

Junhyung’s POV:

 

                I was walking by Studio B when I heard a sniffling noise. The lights were off inside. My curiosity made me open the door. A girl was kneeling down against the corner with her head on her knees.

                “Are you okay?” I asked. I took a step closer and reached for the switch.

                “Don’t turn on the light.” She said quickly. Her head was up.

                “Hannah?” I recognized her voice even though her tear-drenched hair was all over her face. She continued sobbing. “What happened?”

                “They promised me that they’ll make me recognized.”

                “Who are they?” I didn’t know what she was talking about but I lent her an ear.

                “I trusted them, so I followed them to another studio.”

                “And?”

                “They told me to take off my clothes.” She choked out the last word. I finally understood what was going on.

                “Don’t speak anymore.” I said. “I’m going to get you help.”

                “Please stay,” she begged. Then she stood up and clasped me. I patted her back to comfort her. I heard the door knob turn so I turned around to look. The door closed again, but something told me to check who it was. I gently pulled away from Hannah.

                “Stay here, I’ll be back.” I said. I stepped out into the hall. The person who turned the doorknob was walking away. I recognized her red hair right away.

                “Jaelyn?”I called. She started to walk faster.

                I ran up to her and grabbed her arm. She stopped and turned around. “What?” She asked. I noticed the ring on her finger.

                “Listen, there’s nothing going on between us. She just needed-“

                “Wait, why are you even explaining this to me?” She laughed. “It’s not like you’re my boyfriend or anything.”

                “No, Jaelyn, listen-“

                “Really, it’s okay. Do whatever you like. I could care less.” Her voice was cool and collected that it kind of hurt. “Now can you let go of my arm?” She sounded annoyed so I did. “I thought I forgot something in Studio B so I went to check, but it wasn’t there. I guess some things are never meant to be found. I have to go now. Bye.” Her farewell sounded like it was going to be her last one. She disappeared down the hall.

 

Jaelyn’s POV:

 

                As soon as I turned away from him, the tears I tried so hard to conceal started to drip down my face. I was stupid to even think about telling him. I was an idiot to have believed his feelings for me. I guess it was just my illusion.