Chapter 7

Roses or Laurels?

“For happiness one needs security,

but joy can spring like a flower even from the cliffs of despair.”

–Anne Morrow Lindbergh

 

Jaelyn’s POV:

                There was a man lurking around the building when I looked across the street. I squinted to get a better look under the blinding sun. Appa? I flashed across the street and pulled him away from the entrance.

                “Appa? What are you doing here?” I glanced around making sure that no one was watching us.

                “Jun Hye ah, come home with me right now.” He demanded.

                “What? I came this far, and you’re telling me to give up right now?”

                “I don’t care how far you got; now pack your stuff and leave with me.”

                “No! I don’t get it appa, why do you always disapprove of me following my dream? Isn’t a father supposed to support his own child?” Tears started to form behind my eye lids.

                I could see guilt in his eyes but he quickly erased it. “The music industry is not your place. Nothing good will result if you continue to stay here. Now come with me!” He grabbed onto my wrist but I flung his hand off.        

                “No! I’m not going anywhere! I’m staying here and chasing after my dream.” I started running away from him. I could feel him following behind. At that moment I saw Junhyung  going into the building. I rushed over to him.

                “Sunbae!” I called.

                “Oh hey Jaelyn what’s up?”

                “There’s a strange man following me. Can you make him go away?” I pleaded.

                “Okay, leave it to me. Go inside first.”

                I hid behind a wall inside the building to listen.

                “Hey sir, what are you doing around here?” Junhyung asked.

                “I’m Junhye’s father; I need to talk to her.”

                “Sorry, there’s no one with the name of Junhye here.”

                “No, I know she’s inside.” Appa said.

                “Everything okay here Mister Yong?” I peaked and saw two security guards.

                “This man persists on coming in.” Junhyung replied.

                “Excuse me sir, but you’re prohibited to enter this building unless you have business here.” One of the guards said.

                “I saw my daughter go in. Let me in!” Appa was trying to force through but the guards started dragging him away. “Junhye! Junhye ah!” He yelled.

                I covered my mouth with my hand to keep myself from gasping. It’s not my fault appa. I won’t feel guilty. You’re the one who wanted to ruin my future. I didn’t do anything wrong. I won’t feel guilty. I went into the Studio before Junhyung catches me in this state.

 

Junhyung’s POV:

                This morning a suspicious man was following Jaelyn. The security guards took him away.

                “You okay, Jaelyn?” I asked. But when I went to check on her, she was already gone. I thought I saw her hiding there. Was it just my imagination?

 

                “Junhyung, Junhyung!” Manger Lee was waving and running toward me. He was catching his breath while speaking after he reached me. “President Choi… approve… music… yours… Jaelyn…”

                “Wait, wait, wait, calm down first then speak to me. I can’t understand a word you’re saying.”

                After he calmed down, he started speaking again. “Remember last time when you told me to ask President Choi if you can test Jaelyn’s vocal?”

                “Yeah because I studied her profile and noticed that her goal is to be a singer besides a dancer.”

                “He gave his consent, and asked me to tell you to pick out the song you want her to sing and he’ll come down to review her singing!”

                “Really? Did he really say that?” I got excited.

                “Yes, he also said if he approves her singing, he’ll have her trained under a vocal teacher. Then you know what that’ll mean?” he said while laughing.

                “What?”

                “That mean there’s chance she’s going to be debuted!”

                “Really? Do you think it’s really going to happen?”

                “Believe me; I could see it in the president’s eyes. Besides he trusts your judgments all the time.” He held up both hands for a high five but I didn’t give it to him. Finally, my lyrics can be put to use.

 

Jaelyn’s POV:

                “Hi.” Kikwang appeared out of nowhere.

                “You scared me.” I gasped then continued packing up my things after practice and trying to ignore his existence. Everyone from Studio B already left. “What do you want?” I finally asked when he wouldn’t stop staring at me.

                “You’re an interesting girl.” He smiled at me but I didn’t respond. I was going to walk out of the room when he said, “Song Junhye.” I stopped immediately and turned around.

                “How’d you…”

                “How’d I know? I saw you this morning.” I seriously want to wipe that smile off his face. You’re really interesting. First you injured yourself on purpose, and then you didn’t acknowledge your own father. I’ve never seen anyone like that.”

                “How… weren’t you supposed to be in Japan? I thought you came back that night of the party.”

                “How would you know? I didn’t tell anyone which day was my actual arrival.” Right. He never told Junhyung that night when he actually arrived in Seoul.

                “What are you? A stalker?”

                “Nah, I just happened to be around.”

                “So what now? You’re going to tell Junhyung?”

                “Don’t worry, I won’t interfere with your business.”

                “Really?”

                “In one condition though.” He raised his index finger in front of my face.

                “Fine. What is it?” I knew he wouldn’t let me go that easily.        

                “If you agree to be my girlfriend.” He whispered.

                My hand went out of control and it ended up going across his face. I regretted it moment I did it. I just slapped the person who could expose my secrets at any time. I didn’t know how to handle the situation so I turned around and ran off. What have I just done? I banged my head on the wall in my dorm a few times to clear up my mind. Then, I went under my cover trying to fall asleep.

                I got a text message from Junhyung which woke me up.

                “Come down to the recording room right now. –Junhyung” Did Kikwang really tell him? God, my life is really over now.

                I went down to the building anxiously. When I entered the room, Junhyung smiled at me. I got confused. He jumped down from the desk he was sitting on and came over to me.

                “You here.”

                “Yea…” What is going on? I’m not here to get screamed at?

                “You know how to read music right?” He asked.

                “Of course.” I answered.

                He the music player. It’s the exact same one from my CD.

                “Here, study these lyrics and notes. We’re going to test your vocals.”

                “What? I haven’t practiced singing since I got into CUBE. I can’t do this,” I said.

                “You have to. This is your chance. Didn’t you want to be a singer?”

                “But I’m not prepared at all.” I started to feel butterflies in my stomach.

                “That’s why you’re given time to get prepared right now. The president is going to review you while you sing later.” What? The president?

                “Okay I’ll try my best.” I breathed out slowly. I started studying the lyrics and music notes.

***

                Two hours later I was asked to go into the recording room. And I closed my eyes and started singing to the music.

*Click for music*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INtWqyDqEek

 

                After the music ended I opened my eyes. The door clicked open and everyone came in. I heard someone clapping outside. Then, the president entered.

                “Bravo!” He said in approval.

                I smiled proudly. I could see Junhyung giving me a thumbs up.

                “Starting tomorrow, you’re going to be trained under a vocal teacher.” President Choi said. I couldn’t believe what I’m hearing. Was the president approving me?

                “I’ll make sure I won’t disappoint you!” I bowed in gratitude.

~

                By the time everything was over, it was past midnight.

                “Great job.” A voice said as after I left the building. I almost forgot about Kikwang. Even though I hated it I had to say something to him.

                “Sorry and thanks.” I said quickly under my breath.

                “What?” He pulled his head closer as if he couldn’t hear me.

                “Sorry for slapping you. And thanks for not telling on me.” I said more clearly.

                “Oh it’s nothing, I was just surprised. You’re the first girl to ever slap me.” He chuckled. “And I wasn’t planning to tell on you anyway.”

                “Oh.” My face flushed.

                “Let’s make an agreement. I’ll keep your secret, and you keep mine?”

                “Huh? What would be your secret?”

                “My secret would be coming back to Seoul a month earlier than I was supposed to. I didn’t tell anyone because I wanted a break. Only you know about this.” He whispered. I didn’t know that was supposed to be a secret.

                “Truce?” He held out his hand to me.

                “Truce.” I took his hand.